Welcome to the APBWeb.
    carolina is offline Master Officer

At what age do you think we are to be held accountable?

This question really stems from another forum that I visit sometimes. It was kind of interesting to see the different views on this question.

I will post what the OP's views were and the article linked to the discussion. I couldn't help but think about the the teens that beat that young girl up recently, however I know they are much older than what this discussion was really about.

Originally Posted by jayhawk53

What about babies and young children who never reach the ability to make this individual choice? The “age of accountability” is a concept that teaches those who die before reaching the “age of accountability” are automatically saved, by God’s grace and mercy. The “age of accountability” is a belief that God saves all those who die before reaching the ability to make a decision for or against Christ. Thirteen is the most common number given for the age of accountability based on the Jewish custom that a child becomes an adult at the age of 13. However, the Bible gives no direct support to the age of 13 always being the age of accountability. It likely varies from child to child. A child has passed the age of accountability once he or she is capable of making a faith decision for or against Christ

What about children that are born evil? Like Robert Thompson and Jon Venables They were ten years old when they killed James Bulger. Do you think they were too young to be held accountable?

Is there an age at which things change or should we know right from wrong automatically?

Do you think there's a time when we're not accountable and then at a certain age become accountable?

When I read about kids that commit crimes, or murders like this I've often asked myself the same question. Do you think that how one is brought up, the environment that they have to live in has a direct affect on why these kids do these things?

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    You're accountable as soon as you know what you're doing is wrong.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I am with LawnMM, cant really put an age on it, case by case basis
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    +1 for both of you.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    You're accountable as soon as you know what you're doing is wrong.
    +1
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information