Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the economy?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unconcerned

3 11.54%
  • Uneasy

14 53.85%
  • Worried

8 30.77%
  • Afraid

1 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Economy

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

The Economy

I just got through reading some news sites and many of them had articles about housing forclosures, rising gas prices, food costs, etc..
    I have seen quite a few ups and downs in the economy but it has always recovered.

Whats your opinion on the economy now and in the future?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    If gas goes back down by half, I think a lot of things would turn around, energy is killing my family, keeps us from spending money other ways because that is where most of it is going
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I think we're in a recession, but it won't last forever. As for the long term, it depends on what policies, scientific discoveries, wars, and natural disasters lie ahead. We'd need to ask a time traveler from the future to be sure.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I am uneasy, but I rest assured that God is in control. While I can't do everything I wish I could for my family, I am able to provide for them, so I can't complain too much. We will come out of it.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Uneasy to an extent but not panicked by any means. Just buckling down and riding it out.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'm worried because to the dumb policies the politicians are pushing. The garbage that Al Gore is pushing and the legislation the congress is turning out will eventually ruin the ecomony. It's only going to get worse, the more government gets involved the worse it will be.

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    Gas is my main concern. Alternate forms of transportation are not currently an option for me. Without 60 gallons of gas a month I can't get to work. $220 bucks at todays rate, $3.60/gal. Co-workers have parked their diesels for the time being; $4.30/gal.
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I think we're in a recession, but it won't last forever. As for the long term, it depends on what policies, scientific discoveries, wars, and natural disasters lie ahead. We'd need to ask a time traveler from the future to be sure.
    I didn't know this until I was told by a financial advisor I've been goint to. A recession is two consecutive quarters with a loss in the market. The last quarter of 07 there was still a 1% increase. I don't know what the first quarter of 08 results will be (I'm sure a loss), but we are not yet in a technical recession yet.

It is definitely scary to see so many people out of a job. Thank God we are in a market that will always be here.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I think that we will keep falling until the new president enters office. Bush is going to continue to line the pockets of big oil.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I think that we will keep falling until the new president enters office. Bush is going to continue to line the pockets of big oil.
    +1 on that one!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am unconcerned. Living debt free has its advantages. As far as oil companies making a killing, most retirement plans are invested in big oil such as Exxon. I don't think George should be the only blame for our current price situation. Government policies in general have led to this situation. Government has systematically lowered supply while demand has continued to rise. This leads to the rising prices. Just remember, the federal and state governments make far more money off of gas prices than the oil companies do. Oil companies have some of the smallest profit margins of any business in the U.S. Lets not get me started on my environmentalist rant again mmmmmkay.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm fairly unconcerned. What bothers me is gas prices. I'm seriously considering trading in my car for something with much higher gas mileage.

Fortunately LE tends to be pretty stable and we aren't in an area where there are lay offs etc. Besides that even if there were I have enough seniority half the department would be fired first. So I'm not worried about my job which is comforting.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    While LE tends to be pretty stable wait until it's their pension check you're receiving. When I retired our health care was $87.00/month and for me to cover myself and my wife now would $690/month. Thank God I'm still working for a company that provides health care at a reduced rate $140.00/month.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    While LE tends to be pretty stable wait until it's their pension check you're receiving. When I retired our health care was $87.00/month and for me to cover myself and my wife now would $690/month. Thank God I'm still working for a company that provides health care at a reduced rate $140.00/month.
    Something else you can thank government regulation for. I paid for my own health insurance while I was in college. Every policy I checked into had some sort of coverage I would never need added to it due to federal regulation. In a free market people would shop around for a policy that met their needs and the marketplace would be regulated by competition.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsdscott View Post
    I am uneasy, but I rest assured that God is in control. While I can't do everything I wish I could for my family, I am able to provide for them, so I can't complain too much. We will come out of it.

Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Uneasy to an extent but not panicked by any means. Just buckling down and riding it out.
    Same here, I've delayed putting my car back on the road and am just carpooling with hubby. The mortgage problem was created by the mortgage companies lending to people who were already overextended, and enhanced by the prices for everything else going up. Those who were just barely making ends meet before wound up in default, and people who were buying houses to 'flip' them really screwed themselves when the houses failed to sell. Inflation has hurt tremendously. I remember a phrase from basic economics, "Bread and Circuses" and frankly it's time to bring in the elephants because the circus is in full swing.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

213th is offline Solipsist
    I'm a bit worried, but I have a decent amount in my retirement plan, which gets cashed out when I leave here. I try to live debt free as much as possible. I have two years left to pay on my truck, which has less then 40,000 miles on it. I have a credit card that was going to be paid off until recent events, but still has less then 1500 on it. But, leaving the military is the cause for my worry, as I'm a bit worried about job availibility. However, my credit card will be paid off, and bills will be paid out to the end of the year before I leave if all goes according to plan.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I lived in Houston after the oil bust, when folks were leaving their houses in the middle of the night.

I lived through the gas crisis, when lines for gas wound around the block, and your license plate number determined if you bought on odd or even days.

I've lost count of the foreclosures in my neighborhood....my next door neighbor just walked away from her house, I expect the bank will be taking over shortly.

I think we'll be tightening our belts for a while.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am unconcerned.

As has been pointed out, we are not in a recession despite whatever the democrat candidates are screaming about.

Our economy is cyclical, and big oil has little to do with the current low cycle. Consumer confidence does.

The more you yell "recession" the more people act like it, and the market system suffers for it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also agree that the economy is cyclical. If you remember correctly, prior to a past tightly contested presidential race, the economy went through periods of re-alignment. Investors are savvy to direction, especially based on swings of political power. Things are testy now, and will be until a more definitive path is seen in the elections to come.

I'm a bit 'pumped' (if you pardon the word usage) about fuel prices myself right now. Quite frankly, fuel prices, and the ripple effect from them on other commodities are kicking my ass, financially. I am careful, however, to avoid hasty fingerpointing and realize that the blame is shared by a number of factors.

I fully consider myself a member of the mainstream, average American wage earner/taxpayer. I'm in majority company with the fuel price frustration.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information