Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Influence

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Influence

I usually avoid this topic since it almost always draws a variety of indifferent comments. However I have my own opinions and thoughts on the matter.
    Does music and video games influence a persons outlook on life, attitude or even mood in a negative or postitive way? My emphasis in on the negative. What kinds of music or games influence in a negative way and should they be avoided?
    If music or games do influence in a negative way should the artist or maker bear any moral or principle responsibility? Leave the issue of lawsuits and money out of it. Simply put should they have known better.
    I do believe that some music and games have a negative impact on a persons mentality. Extemely violent or morally deficient music and games give a person the wrong lesson in my opinion. I am a firm believer of garbage in garbage out. A fine line should be observed when choosing what to listen to and participate in. Not everyone will or wants to separate what shouldn't be done from what is done.
    I also believe that artists and game makers should bear some responsibility for what they do when there is no doubt the music or game is a blatant and reckless production.
    Comments?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Grossman has laid out a pretty decent argument that they do, and I believe him.

I think the responsibility lies with the parents, not with the purveyors of what amounts to free speech.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Short term influence on mood is pretty easy to confirm, but I think it's got to have a basis in the personality to build from. If a person is prone to depression, and listens to depressing music, then the depression amplifies. Similarly, if a person is prone to violence, and plays violent video games, it can trigger more acting out. As to responsibility to the maker, I don't think that there really is any, or should be, beyond the warnings on the package. What a person listens to, or what games they play, is ultimately a personal choice. So long as it's not being forced on the person somehow, then it really is up to the person as to what they want to do.

Sometimes free will sucks, but we wouldn't be humans without it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Sure the negative has an influence. Look at what percentage of the stupid crap you did as a kid that was done in the company of other stupid kids. Even the stongest of us gives in from time to time. Maturity and responsibility are learned over time.

I think gamemakers and music artists (loose term) are expressing their morbid view of life. Others who relate to what is seen or heard relate and continue to buy into the views. I think the negative is then reinforced.

As long as free speach has no limits.... crack head gangbangers/goth psychos and suicidal techies can make games, violence will continue to be promoted.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Grossman has laid out a pretty decent argument that they do, and I believe him.

I think the responsibility lies with the parents, not with the purveyors of what amounts to free speech.

This is exactly true.

Video games put kids into real life virtual murder simulators, desensitizing them to real life consequences of killing, injuring, and doing harm to others.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I think some of the music can glorify suicide, degrading women, drugs, etc. If kids see popular artists with a lot of money and a big following glorifying these topics, it must be ok to do them (or so it appears).

Personally music influences my moods. I find music that matches what I am feeling much of the time. I really do love summertime, sun, coastal areas, beaches, tropical weather, boating and water so I listen to a lot of Chesney, Buffett, and even Marley. But because I listen to Marley, that does not mean I advocate the use of Marijuana and his music does not change my opinion of it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Bird Dog is offline Road Toad
    Good question... In my opinion it is not the music and video games that influence a persons outlook on life (in a negative way) but the lack of influence by a positve role model. (IE. Mom and Dad)

Blaming video games, tv, and music on a parents inabilty to instill basic moral values in their kids is just dumb in my opinion.

This is why I hate the juvenile justice system. They give kids ten times to many chances before doing anything. Then its too late, the kid has become unafraid of the law and later becomes a career offender. Had that same kid recived a reasonable punishment for the first offense it would make them re-evaluate their outlook on life.

One of my favorite sayings is "You are a reflection of your leadership". This can easily apply to raising a child.

(I know I might have went a little bit off topic but I'm going on 22 hours of no sleep and it makes sense to me. And I really hate the juvenile justice system )

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I think music and games can help cause someone to become mentally ill or commit crimes, but so can everything and anything else in a person's environment (friends, family members, co-workers, teachers, classmates, TV, movies, books, newspapers, etc); music and games are never the sole environmental influence. I personally wouldn't mind if music and games advocating violence were banned as harmful speech, but I also sympathize somewhat with those who fear that could become a slippery slope to banning various other kinds of speech, including criticism of the government or powerful corporations. I'm ambivalent about where to draw the line between freedom of speech and protection of society against harmful speech, so the result is that I don't feel strongly about it either way (especially since I don't think any one kind of influence is determinative). I don't think artists and game makers should be prosecuted when people commit crimes seemingly inspired by them, though, since it's impossible to determine for sure that it was truly the song or game, and not any of the other things in their environment, that caused them to commit the crime.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Music can and does influence my mood, that is true. When I'm working out, it's all angry white boy music. When I'm driving around just having a good time, I'll listen to a variety of things from rap, pop, hard rock etc. If I need to sit down and think about things, it'll be classic or techno music.

However, my mood also influences the music I'll listen to.

Let's take right now for instance. I'm in a "screw the world" kind of mood, so my music is such as Imagine, by A Perfect Circle.

Movies and video games have no affect on my behavior though.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Good question... In my opinion it is not the music and video games that influence a persons outlook on life (in a negative way) but the lack of influence by a positve role model. (IE. Mom and Dad)

Blaming video games, tv, and music on a parents inabilty to instill basic moral values in their kids is just dumb in my opinion.
    I'm not blaming video games, tv or music but the makers, producers or artist's irresponsibility. They are catering to a generation littered with lack of supervision and ethics or morals. What about these games. Grand theft auto, Max Payne or how about this game...
    Postal 2
    [edit] Misc

• Killing women with short skirts would give them an upskirt view.
    • The ability to urinate on bystanders to make them vomit in disgust. As cops will eat food items dropped by the player, urinating on a food item that is subsequently eaten by a cop will make the cop regurgitate.
    • The use of cats as silencers for shotguns and machine guns, involving pushing the barrel of the gun into the feline's rectum was commented on in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.[1]
    • Crack cocaine "health" pipes that can be smoked in order to boost Dude's health to 125, above the usual limit of 100, no matter what value of health the Dude previously had. These items will cause the Dude to become addicted, and if another dose is not used while the Dude is complaining about his withdrawal symptoms, his health will eventually be damaged, after which there are no further ill effects (unless another pipe is smoked).
    • A kid's TV show mascot named Krotchy (probably a parody of Krusty the Clown of The Simpsons), who is essentially a giant cartoon scrotum. A talking toy with his likeness even says phrases such as "Daddy said only he can touch me there!" or "Don't touch me! I callin' my lawyer!" when used. Krotchy has a partner character named Larry the Crab, whose toy seems much less popular (indicated by the toy store being literally filled with Larry dolls and no Krotchy).
    • An arcade game called SymHomeless, which claims to be edutainment to teach children about their future (oddly enough, Paradise seems completely devoid of children NPCs or places where they might congregate, such as parks or schools). The game is an undisguised parody of Will Wright's Sim games, down to a blurb in the Monday newspaper claiming "lawsuit narrowly averted by changing 'i' to 'y'."
    • Numerous jabs and insults aimed at Joe Lieberman, including a banner that reads "Lieberman, God sees your lies", the easiest difficulty setting is "Liebermode", and in the final newspaper announcing the apocalypse on Friday, a byline that reads "Lieberman blames Doom". Similarly, several jokes are aimed at Dave Grossman such as a video arcade named "Grossman's Arcade".
    Is this responsible? Are the things I highlighted even funny or entertaining? Give me a break.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information