Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Buying a new computer

I want to get a laptop. And with my tax rebate or stimulus money, or both I want to get a good, quality laptop.

I'm leaning towards getting a Mac because of their purported ease of use, functionality, lack of viruses, tech support, etc. I've also heard they last MUCH longer than your typical PC.

I'm currently using a PC desktop.

I primarily use my computer for surfing the internet, saving pictures/videos (no, not those pictures/videos), looking at pictures/videos (no, not those pictures/videos ), and music (limewire/iTunes). That's about it. I'd do more word processing stuff at home if I had a printer that worked, but whatev.

Anyway, I want to know if the PC stuff is easily transferable to a Mac. I have well over a thousand pictures/videos that I've taken over the last few years saved to my computer (family/friends pictures and videos, pictures and videos of my dogs, the flood from last year, etc). I also have over 4,500 songs on my iTunes.

Do MAC's support Windows Media player if I download it? Mozilla? Limewire? iTunes? FLV player? Can I use a flash drive to transfer all of the stuff on my PC to a Mac? Or will everything have to be converted?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Do MAC's support Windows Media player if I download it? Mozilla? Limewire? iTunes? FLV player? Can I use a flash drive to transfer all of the stuff on my PC to a Mac? Or will everything have to be converted?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    A MAC supports a Windows Media player, Mozilla, Limewire, and iTunes. I don't know what a FLV player is.

You could burn the files to a DVD or use a flash drive or an external hard drive to transfers your files.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    FLV is flash video, and Mac has plugins for it if not an actual player.

I'd still stay with a PC, especially since the differences are growing slimmer by the day and the software market still caters to the PC.

I bought two Dell 1720's at a damn good price through their government employee purchase plan. You might look into that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I bought two Dell 1720's at a damn good price through their government employee purchase plan. You might look into that.
    I did not know about that, thanks.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My next computer will be a Mac. I've been a PC guy (I even own a bunch of Microsoft stock) since I went to college in 1991 but I've had it with Microsoft Bloatware. I do NOT like the digital rights management spyware that MS has integrated with Vista. I'm not a thief and I don't like MS being able to turn off my computer because their servers crash and they think I am one. My current XP will be the last Microsoft product I get until they change big time.

I've found a lot of articles and information for people making the switch from PC to Mac. It looks like it's a lot more elegant and stable than Windows. It also looks like it will be compatible (you can even buy MS Office for Mac to stay compatible with your old stuff.)

I'll be switching to Mac.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Josh, I just bought a new Dell XPS m1530 laptop this weekend at Best Buy for $719. I love it so far.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Josh, I just bought a new Dell XPS m1530 laptop this weekend at Best Buy for $719. I love it so far.
    $719 is a good price, Macbook's tend to be a little pricey-er

One thing that I've found out through a lot of digging is that Mac's may be more up front, but have less maintenance required over the years that you own it. And PC's may be a little cheaper, but will cost you more in upkeep over the years.

I'm kind of torn right now.

I've also heard that Vista is a bunch of crap.

I've tried to do some research online, but I keep finding articles that are written by tech savvy folks who speak a completely different language than I do.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I've tried to do some research online, but I keep finding articles that are written by tech savvy folks who speak a completely different language than I do.
    I don't know your level of tech knowledge but this article is really good. Even though it's about the transition I read it to get an idea of what it would be like.

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/...To%20The%20Mac

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've had little trouble with Vista, although I bought enough computer to run it.

As for DRM, a lot of that is hysteria. You can allow it, or not allow it.

It certainly isn't spyware, and it certainly isn't going to turn off your computer.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've had little trouble with Vista, although I bought enough computer to run it.

As for DRM, a lot of that is hysteria. You can allow it, or not allow it.

It certainly isn't spyware, and it certainly isn't going to turn off your computer.
    Any Google search of Vista DRM will reveal what a total nightmare it is. When Microsoft servers crashed last year many Vista users found themselves in "reduced functionality" mode because their OS thought they were counterfeit. Regardless of what Microsoft has "fixed" now they still treat their customers like thieves.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Disabling of Functionality
    Indirect Disabling of Functionality
    Decreased Playback Quality
    Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
    Elimination of Unified Drivers
    Problems with Drivers
    Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation
    Decreased System Reliability
    Increased Hardware Costs
    Increased Cost due to Requirement to License Unnecessary Third-party IP
    Unnecessary CPU Resource Consumption
    Unnecessary Device Resource Consumption
    How Effective is it Really?
    I'm jumping off the Microsoft bandwagon.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Any Google search of Vista DRM will reveal what a total nightmare it is. When Microsoft servers crashed last year many Vista users found themselves in "reduced functionality" mode because their OS thought they were counterfeit. Regardless of what Microsoft has "fixed" now they still treat their customers like thieves.

I'm jumping off the Microsoft bandwagon.
    To each their own, confidence in your system is important. I run Vista, XP Pro, and two flavors of Linux. Each of them has different uses.

The same google search reveals articles on both sides of the issue. Guttman isn't exactly unbiased He's an open source guru since PGP. He also came under a lot of fire for that article from his peers, when it was discovered he had never used the product.

Curiously, most folks who have issues with DRM are running Limewire and similar products. ???? That may not be the case with you, but indeed most of the people screaming about thieves are indeed using media they didn't buy. That is a whole 'nother ball of wax though, about how I feel about that.

As for the Vista counterfeiting issue, that was resolved in the release candidate. I agree the model they were using was a bad idea - and so did they in the end. Nobody was going to put up with that, and the market won out.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I have a iBook G4 - really like it - have been a Mac user for a long time, although I cut my teeth on DOS.

Trying to find Mac based software is a bitch though, so if you are a big gamer on your PC, you may want want to stick with a DOS based computer.

I've had one major crash of my hard drive on the Mac (my old power Mac), but it's so easy to start up from a disc, that I was able to be back and running after reinstalling my system folder.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Curiously, most folks who have issues with DRM are running Limewire and similar products. ???? That may not be the case with you, but indeed most of the people screaming about thieves are indeed using media they didn't buy. That is a whole 'nother ball of wax though, about how I feel about that.
    I have a well formed conscience and can't run multiple copies of anything without feeling bad. I even bought all my MP3's.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Believe it or not, I got a pretty darn good Dell Latitude D600 laptop last year for $250 from an auction site that Vengeance and a few others told me about:
    http://www.propertyroom.com/searchre...CategoryId=371

It was a little slow, so I added 1-GB of memory and it runs great now - Usually slow means it needs more memory to keep it from accessing the hard drive so much.

Just be sure the ones you bid on have at least a 20-GB harddrive, Windows XP Pro operating system & at least a 30-day warranty (like the ones from vendors like CSR Technologies).

Some of the other PC's on the web site are sold as-is, without op systems and harddrives, etc - You may be buying a pile of trouble and extra expense with those.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    So are the Dell lapys good to go?

I get a discount through the college I'm going to, and the more money I can save the better.

Thanks,

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Dude, if you're getting a Dell, I'd recommend getting the XPS series. The Latitudes and Inspirons are OK, but the XPS is geared more for performance/multimedia.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I was a PC person but my wife bought this MacBook and it is very easy to use. We saved a little because she got a discount with an educational incentive. $1349 was the price I got a wireless mouse and more memory and an extended warranty that was recommend by the tech guy at the school.

To be honest I can't use one of these for shit but she can. She does her photo's and well everything. I did find something out. My nephew is an engineering student at LSU and a Mac won't run engineering programs.

You can also get a Paralles program that will run both Mac and PC programs.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Have a dept issued Dell Dimension 620 and its a great PC. Whatever you do, AVOID VISTA. If you order thru Dell small business you can "downgrade" to XP(MS just released SP3 for XP too, so thats a better plus)

A post I made a while back:
    I'm seriously giving thought to dumping it and reloading XP, or doing something to load both and select which one (XP) until the other becomes usable (Vista). Biggest problem is Itunes, and also to a lesser extent windows media player hanging up.

It wont recognize the ipods most recently (but Ive had it working before) but due to numerous safe mode reboots, the install where everything worked has not let it work. I am tired of googling questions to find out that basically the answer is "yeah I have that problem too" (I find a LOT of those) and the fix mostly being "yeah there isn't one". I swore off Dell purchases, but swearing off Microsoft is a bit harder. I hope they fall hard like IBM.

Google:
    • Results 1 - 50 of about 3,220,000 for vista problems. (0.15 seconds)
    • Results 1 - 50 of about 603,000 for itunes vista problems 7.6. (0.27 seconds)
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I am also buying a new computer soon, and like you, I am leaning towards a Mac. My friend has a Macbook, and I like how portable it is.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    JMur, I SWEAR by my Toshiba laptop. Just last week after getting thru security, I dropped it AGAIN (in my briefcase, hooked onto the handle of my luggage) while putting my shoes on.

It is tough, speedy, and reasonably priced...I paid about 1500 almost 2 years ago, and they are running around 600 at Wal Mart nowadays. The only downside is that you can't (afaik) get them with XP, you HAVE to go Vista.

However, in a few years, damn near everybody will have to be using Vista by default, so you might as well get it now as later....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information