Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Have you ever assembled a small metal shed?

Have you ever put a metal shed together and if so how long did it take?
    I went to Lowes yesterday and bought an 8' X 10' metal shed for my lawnmower and gardening tools.
    Out on the lot they had 10-12 different kinds of metal and wooden sheds already assembled, that ran in price from $249.00 to $2,000 or more and I bought the cheapest one they had.
    I checked it over pretty carefully and thought to myself, this'll be a piece of cake and will probably have it put it together in 7-8 hours.
    They delivered it yesterday afternoon and today I went down to assemble it. I was shocked when I opened the box, as it looked like a jig-saw puzzle with at least a hundred or more pieces, not including a grocery size sack of metal screws, bolts nuts, washers, Etc.
    If I can put this thing together in a week I'll be extremely lucky, as it took a couple of hours to read the instructions.
    Since it was hot here today and the sun was beating down on the spot I'm going to put it, I went in the house and got a glass of cold water, sat down on the couch and got interested in a TV program, so I called it a day.
    I'll start on it the first thing in the morning, that is if it isn't too hot.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I have done two of them....thats why my last shed was built out of wood. It is a giant jigsaw puzzle and you really do need twopeople cause you can't make some of the parts stand up while you attach others without four hands.

And get a power drill/screwdriver cause all those shitty little nuts and bolts will drive you crazy if you do it by hand.

Lotsa luck.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I put one up a few years back. Make sure you take a drill with you, because the screw holes won't line up, you'll loose half the screws, and have the neighbors keep their kids in the house unless they want them to learn a few new words.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    We bought the large rubbermaid ones instead. They were already together in the box
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    We bought the large rubbermaid ones instead. They were already together in the box

We're talkin' sheds here, not storage tubs!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

They have sheds....... so back atcha!
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    They have sheds....... so back atcha!
    Do you "Burp" them like Tupperware after you close them?

Winston Churchill

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I put one of those together once. I swore that I would never even look at another metal storage building. It is almost impossible to get it square, and getting it square is the key to EVERYTHING else fitting right.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    Do you "Burp" them like Tupperware after you close them?
    Smart ass!
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Hey OP...does the store offer to send someone out and put it together for ya??
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Me and my Dad put one together about 10 years ago. I swore that I would never do it again. 4,000 pieces and half a page of instructions.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I pay extra for them to assemble for me.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Me and my Dad put one together about 10 years ago. I swore that I would never do it again. 4,000 pieces and half a page of instructions.
    And the instructions are in French!

Winston Churchill

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Back in the 70s, my dear wife bought me one from Montgomery Ward for father's day. On the following mother's day weekend, I began my quest to assemble the shed - 8"X10".

I dug and poured a great foundation and began to set upon it the base frame. In those days, "phillips head" screws were a rarity and I did not own any power drivers. So, every screw was hand driven with a common screw driver and a 7/16' wrench.

After a total assembly labor period of about 48 hours it was assembled. I suffered for weeks with blisters in the palms of my hands from the screwdriver.

It did last us about 22 or 23 years and then, I had to replace it. Aha! This time I had a "TUFF SHED" built on-site and have added a second. Took them less than a day to install each shed. Best thing I have ever done for exterior storage.

All I can say, Retmilleo909, is Good Luck! Wear gloves. Take frequent breaks. Use as many power tools as you can.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Thread Information