Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give Blood?

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor

Give Blood?

For all you out there, When was the last time you gave blood?

I went last week friday, gave a pint and went home and had a pint

Something simple like giving a pint can save many, and if your life was on the line or a family members, I am sure you would want someone's blood that they donated......

Just a reminder, only takes a few minutes of your time and you get treats and goodies afterwards
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I give blood regularly..even though for some reason I am every phlebotomists nightmare..they cannot find a vein on me to save their life. Last time they poked me three times...and then on the third time they monkey'd around with the needle while it was in my arm. For a good 10 minutes. Let me tell you....that hurts. However, like a big fat glutton for punishment or for some overwhelming need for pain and a desire to do good, I shall return and donate again. I am actually due this month. And yes, great reminder for those that don't. Great post!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Donating blood on a regular basis is a great way to give back to your community. Another way is to sign up with the National Bone Marrow Registry in an effort to helps others overcome their battles with specific cancers.

The young son of a Sturbridge, MA police sergeant, is in need of a bone marrow transplant to try and defeat his cancers.

If you have an interest to help others go here:

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/index.html
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I used to be a regular donor, but between that, and the regular blood draws I had to do as a child, I don't have a decent vein left except the backs of my hands.....very painful.

If they could come up with a better way, I'd be a regular donor again...in a heartbeat.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    I have never given blood. I've always wanted to... just haven't looked into it. I oughta do that.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

213th is offline Solipsist
    I last gave in 05. I got a tattoo in 07, and then I just got another one, so it'll be a year before i can again.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They always turn me down for tattoo work.

The last gap I had where I could give, they stuck me and I clotted the needle after about a half pint. I was pissed.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    They always turn me down for tattoo work.

The last gap I had where I could give, they stuck me and I clotted the needle after about a half pint. I was pissed.
    Do you have a lot of tattoo work? My latest was a memorial piece for my sister, done by her very close friend and tattoo artist. I'm debating putting a pic up...
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I've always given my own blood prior to surgeries in the event it was needed, but I pass out and become ill after giving blood no matter how long I sit or how much of the cookies and juice I drink. I have given for my friend's son with cancer, and I would give for other specific individuals but I can't do it on a regular basis. I am a registered marrow donor and have been for several years.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Do you have a lot of tattoo work? My latest was a memorial piece for my sister, done by her very close friend and tattoo artist. I'm debating putting a pic up...
    Three, and a fourth in progress.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I give regulary, mostly to just give back and you never know who you might help out..........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    If you feel like sharing, I for one, would love to see it.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Same here on the tattoo deferral. I gave just before going in to get the new one done, so I get to wait out the year. They're actually a little relieved, because I've given so many times over the years that I've got a lot of scar tissue built up over the best vein so the break allows time for it to soften up a bit. I think I'm working on my five gallon pin now.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I used to give blood regularly, but I have fallen by the wayside with it. Good reminder to get back in the saddle.

In college I always used to say, "so since I'm a pint low, does this mean I can get drunk cheap tonight?

They weren't amused
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My wife and I donate all the time. She is actually a couple of pints short of her 5 gallon pin whereas I have a ways to go. She started earlier in life than I did. Plus she is rh negative so the blood bank likes her a lot. I usually fill the bag right up with no problems but she takes a while. She also needs an experienced Phlebotomist to stick the needle because she has wandering veins.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I used to give regularly, but last two times I passed out . They said from now on I need to only give half since a full donation is too much for me and makes me anemic. I haven't since last year due to having 3 surgeries recently.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I would like to say, if someone has good veins and a couple hours to spare, to consider platelet and plasma donations. Cancer patients, burn patients, and several others have a critical need for platelets and plasma, and the shelf life for those components is much shorter than it is for whole blood. AB donors are ESPECIALLY encouraged to donate plasma.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    I donate as often as I remember. As a matter of fact, I am going in the morning. I have never had any problems donating so I dont mind doing it at all.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I would like to say, if someone has good veins and a couple hours to spare, to consider platelet and plasma donations. Cancer patients, burn patients, and several others have a critical need for platelets and plasma, and the shelf life for those components is much shorter than it is for whole blood. AB donors are ESPECIALLY encouraged to donate plasma.
    Thats going to be my next donation, 8 weeks away, but the bad thing is you are not allowed to give for 16 weeks after because they suck all the life out of your blood
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Thats going to be my next donation, 8 weeks away, but the bad thing is you are not allowed to give for 16 weeks after because they suck all the life out of your blood
    I thought the 16 week was just for the double donation? With platelets, you can give up to twice a month, with plasma they generally defer you for just the 8 weeks, but I typically give plasma and platelets at the same time. Your donor center may do it differently, of course.

I always figured I was too broke to donate money, and I can't spare a lot of time, but there's no replacement for blood. I can spare a pint and it will save lives.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information