Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO

I Passed my Firearm Qual

I had my firearms qual today and passed lol. Going into the final stage I was shooting at 97 % (42 rounds), but the final 8 rounds on the 25 yard line kicked my butt. I ended up scoring a 211 with 200 passing and 250 the max. My practice qual yesterday was scored at a 221 and I was really hoping for better, but at least I passed...

EDIT: Run-on sentence...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Good job!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You're not the only one that hates the 25 yard line. I shoot my bow better from 25 yards than I do my handguns.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    You're not the only one that hates the 25 yard line. I shoot my bow better from 25 yards than I do my handguns.

I can shoot a spit ball better than my handgun from 25 yards
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    congrats!
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for the congrats...

Yeah 25 yards was killin me. I missed the target altogether on one shot and then hit paper but missed the silhouette with four, so they counted for zero...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Thanks for the congrats...

Yeah 25 yards was killin me. I missed the target altogether on one shot and then hit paper but missed the silhouette with four, so they counted for zero...

Take up a target practice stance and take your time. You are shooting a qual corse not a combat course. Works for me.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    We used to shoot 12 rounds at the 25 yard line. Now we only shoot 4. Gotta love the "combat" mentality.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Congrats on passing!

The number one biggest problem for guys at the 25 yard line is poor trigger control. The number two problem is an optical illusion your eyes play on you.

We get to looking at that itty bitty front sight, just like we were taught. Guess what? It moves. It looks like it's moving a lot the farther you get from the target.

The trick is, it really isn't. Although that front sight looks like it's moving all over the target, the barrel isn't really moving as much as you think - so we go like this...

There...there...there...BANG! and try to jerk that shot off as the sights have achieved "perrfect" alignment.

Live for the wobble! Realize that a .02 movement of your sight is only 3" at 25 yards, and do what you already know. Focus on that front sight and trigger press. You will hit if you do it right, even if it looks like that sight is moving more than it should.

With a typical .40 handgun, you can keep hits on steel at 75 yards.

Try it some time
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Congrats on passing!

The number one biggest problem for guys at the 25 yard line is poor trigger control. The number two problem is an optical illusion your eyes play on you.

We get to looking at that itty bitty front sight, just like we were taught. Guess what? It moves. It looks like it's moving a lot the farther you get from the target.

The trick is, it really isn't. Although that front sight looks like it's moving all over the target, the barrel isn't really moving as much as you think - so we go like this...

There...there...there...BANG! and try to jerk that shot off as the sights have achieved "perrfect" alignment.

Live for the wobble! Realize that a .02 movement of your sight is only 3" at 25 yards, and do what you already know. Focus on that front sight and trigger press. You will hit if you do it right, even if it looks like that sight is moving more than it should.

Try it some time
    People like you that make it sound easy make me look forward to defensive tactics.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Congrats on passing!

Try it some time
    Yeah poor trigger control was my main issue, all my shots were low left. We had plenty of time to aim in, 20 seconds to fire 2 standing, 2 kneeling behind a barricade. I bought a hundred more rounds so I'm going to practice the 25 yd line some more this weekend.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Take up a target practice stance and take your time. You are shooting a qual corse not a combat course. Works for me.
    Well we were timed and we were shooting around a barricade. Plus 4 of the 8 were from a kneeling position. But yeah that would have made it a bit easier I think...

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    The key to the 25 yard line is - practice - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!!

We are scheduled for two practice sessions a month (practice only - no quals.), and we do it all from the 25. The instructors know (as we all do) that 25 can kick your butt, so that's all our practice sessions consist of. Aceing the POST course from the closer in lines is a piece of cake.

A good instructor can help a lot too.

I went out last Monday for a practice, and one of our instructors observed that my grip wasn't what it should be (I've been shooting over thirty years, and people tend to forget the basics sometime - I apparently had), and I was kinda spreading them out too much on the target, so he gave me a little one-on-one coaching.

By the time I called it a day, I was putting them all in about a 6 to 7-inch group from 25.

Planning on going do it again this coming Monday.

Shooting is obviously a perishable skill. If you don't use it - you lose it.

Practice - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!!

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    People like you that make it sound easy make me look forward to defensive tactics.
    I'm a big weenie, never mind me
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    We qualify quarterly here in D-Town but thats really not enough for me. I try to get in and do a practice session once a month if I can but the range schedule is kinda crummy with the academy classes going through and what not. I haven't made it in there this month yet but I will.

Listen to mac, focus on a smooth trigger press and try to focus less on the front sight and more on the target. The front and rear sights will blur but you can still see that they are aligned.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Errr...

I did say trigger press, but you never want to be looking at the target

Front sight, front sight, front sight - but live with the wobble.
    I'm your huckleberry...

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    Front sight should be clear as a bell and the target slightly blurred when sight picture is correct. Gotta agree with Maclean once again. Live with the wobble, its not as critical as you think. Also, dont anticipate recoil. Low left, you are pushing and anticipating recoil for a right handed shooter.

No offense five 0 but my take on qualification courses are, you will fight the way you train. You should qual like you are fighting for your life. After all, you are measuring your ability to defend your or someone elses life should the need arise.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Good job.

I hate the 25-yd line also, although I shoot it much better with the patrol rifle than with my handgun!
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    The 25 yard line kept me from being perfect this time. I through two out, but oh well I can live with a 96.

It's easy to make it realistic when there are those on the line trying to tap, rack, bang with their finger on the trigger! In his defense it was his first time with a semi-auto period, but still.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Nice work, Handguns are good for short distances and most likely you will be in close quarter combat if you have your pistol out. The only reason they make you pop off a couple long shots is so you know how to shoot from that distance. Most likely you should have a long gun out at 25yards+
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information