Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finally

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Finally

Finally got my concealed weapon permit application in, now it's just 45 days or less away. Kinda irritated me the way some of the county employees looked at me when I told them what I was there for. Got run all over the place - first to the courthouse, then down the street to the PD to get fingerprinted, back to the courthouse. Ran into an academy classmate getting a warrant for domestic violence. The new fingerprint system is really cool - just 2 years ago I got inked for my police employment background check, now they use the computer and some optical sensors then print the fingerprints on a card. Pretty nifty. So anyhow, lookout VA, soon I'll be packin heat

irishlad2nv is offline Banned
    Great thats all people need is a hott-headed kid running around carrying a weapon...Are you in LE or are you in an Academy? You seem a little too on the "excited" side to be talking about this...just my .02...

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Uhhh... what?

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv
    Great thats all people need is a hott-headed kid running around carrying a weapon...Are you in LE or are you in an Academy? You seem a little too on the "excited" side to be talking about this...just my .02...

Yeah, huh?

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Yeah, huh?
    I'll second that one. Irish, try to lighten up a bit please.

Way to go Virginian!

Sorry to hear about the hassle. I put mine in a while ago, so I'm also waiting the 45. Our courthouse had a little Sherrif's office in it (not the main office but one just for court stuff I guess) and I got it done all in the same building. I was happy about that.

But anyway, cool about the application.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Signal_W Guest
    I remember when I got my Concealed carry, I was very excited also. I dont have a problem with someone being happy about being armed.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Well, it is kind of like getting your drivers license. You wait for a while, and then the day comes. It is even more rewarding because you did it legally. Plenty of people out there can get illegal guns on the street, but the people who do it by the law are the responsible ones (most of the time) who will behave with it. It's natural to be excited.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

WAMBAUGHREADER is offline Fattest, cop, ever.
    Here all you have to do is apply, pay your 7 bucks, or 20 if your sheriff is greedy. They do the background based on your app and you have it pretty quickly.

Virginian: you don't seem hot headed at all to me. Ive seen your posts here and you're exactly the kind of person I want carrying concealed.
    Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    And it's not like I'm some doofus with no training, I've got the same firearms training as any police officer in my area. And if I didn't, it's still my right to carry. Ah well. Thanks for the nice comments folks

Ken K is offline Banned
    Good for you. I for one do not believe you have to be in LE or an academy to get a permit. Never saw that as a requirement in my state.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMBAUGHREADER
    Here all you have to do is apply, pay your 7 bucks, or 20 if your sheriff is greedy. They do the background based on your app and you have it pretty quickly.

Virginian: you don't seem hot headed at all to me. Ive seen your posts here and you're exactly the kind of person I want carrying concealed.
    Thanks!

50 bucks here! Not a real gun friendly county, but there are some of us who still want to do our part to keep it and our families safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    This guy is a cop?
    I will answer for you...yes I am. Sorry that you took such offense over my reply to your post, but to me you sounded like a little kid opening up his Christmas Day Present.

I have nothing against people having a CCW, to me, you made it sound like you were way too excited. However, if you are in an Academy...? Why not just wait till you Graduate?

Anyway, congrats....

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I can't have a CCW, I'm not 21.

Signal_W Guest
    I'm not sure what the Academy has to do with a CCW?

One has nothing to do with the other, I still keep my CCW current because I like carrying something different than my duty weapon. I recommend that anyone who can get a CCW should.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I've heard some people will mail their prints and other info to Florida to get a permit there, and that way you have reciprocity with a whole lot more states. Interesting idea, if I end up traveling a lot for work.

Signal_W Guest
    Yea you will be able to travel to other states and carry your weapon just like in your own state. You should be able to find what states have reciprocity with yours on your states web site.

Here is Tennessee's..

http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Yep here's Virginia's

Listing of states with which Virginia has Reciprocity Agreements*:

Alaska
    Florida
    Kentucky
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Tennessee
    Texas
    West Virginia

Here's Florida -

Arkansas
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    North Dakota
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Wyoming

I can't figure out what's different about the requirements that a state will recognize one state's permit, and not another.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    I'm not sure what the Academy has to do with a CCW?

One has nothing to do with the other, I still keep my CCW current because I like carrying something different than my duty weapon. I recommend that anyone who can get a CCW should.
    Why have a CCW when you can carry anyway being a LEO? I mean if you have your own reasons, which you stated, thats fine, but I don't see the point in having one, when you can carry off-duty or is it that your department has a policy regarding that? HR218 surely covers you.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Some departments are very strict about off duty carry, applying their own agency rules on top of 218. My department did, at least. I'm purely civilian at the moment, so I need a permit anyhow.

MountainCop Guest
    First off - I'm a very PRO-CCW LEO.

Before I became a cop - I had my CCW (one of the first in the county when our CCW shall issue law passed). I also have my Florida CCW.

Do I need them now? No. My agency supports the LEOSA. But I'm keeping them just in case.

And I have NO problem with a law-abiding and trained citizen being armed. There have been several instances where an LEO has had his bacon saved by a 'gun-totin' civilian.

If anyone here thinks that anyone else here is like a 'kid in a candy store', go read some of the posts on http://www.packing.org ! It's also a great resource for state laws, reciprocity, etc.

And I will tell you right now, I will tolerate differing opinions - as long as they are respectful and polite. Cross that line, and I WILL do something about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information