Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Do you believe in guardian angels?

LEO's Guardian Angel.

Do you believe that you have a guardian angel; that a supernatural or divine spirit watches over you and to protect you when you're in harm's way?
    If so, can you cite some narrow escape you've had, where there's no explanation as to how or why you escaped from being badly injured or killed!?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not sure if an angel has been assigned to me but I do know that God has some form of intervention in mind if it is not your time to go. This works for everybody not just us.
    As a detective I was riding one night with an on duty uniform Lt. As we were patroling a highly active area we stumbled on an armed robbery in progress in the middle of the street. A later identifed juvenile had produced a handgun and was trying to rob a crack head as a "gang" initiation. When we turned onto the street we both saw the pistol pointed in the females face. When the juvenile saw us he began to run away from us on the edge of the street. The Lt. gassed it and caught up with him and he did an about face to run the opposite way. I bailed out and gave chase. I watched him put the pistol in his pocket and hold it there as he ran. We ran for about a block when he cut through an empty field. As he was running through the field he pulled the pistol and pointed it behind him at me and I could see him pulling the trigger. I had my pistol pointed at him and was also pulling the trigger. Neither weapon discharged. He lost his footing and fell and was taken into custody.
    It was later determined that he only had one round in the clip and had not been chambered. My weapon was found to be on safe. The funny thing was is that I never put that weapon on safe. Ever. To this day I don't know how that happened. The suspect stated he did not know why his weapon did not discharge because he was sure he had chambered it prior to the robbery just like he had been shown.
    Guardian angel? Don't know. Divine intervention? I believe so.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As a Catholic I believe in Guardian Angels. They are part of the doctrinal teachings.

Angels are spiritual beings created by God. There are seven choirs of angels. Each choir has a different purpose and Guardian Angels are part of that.

Our Guardian Angel was created specifically for each of us. While angels can protect us from physical dangers their primary purpose is to protect our souls and help us get to heaven. They will act with God in prompting your consience and helping you navigate spiritual growth.

If death or injury is not in the cards for you at a specific time they will intervene and sometimes in spectacular ways. A friend of ours' son climbed a book shelf that toppled over on him. It stopped about 45 degrees from the floor with an invisible force holding it up from crushing the child. There are many stories throughout history like this. I know many of us have personal stories like this.

I don't like the modern artistic imagery of the soft feminine angels. While not physical beings, and therefore not sexual, angels aren't male or female in a biological sense. But they are fierce warriors. They are battling the fallen angels almost constantly on our behalf. I prefer the imagery depicted here. In fact I own that print and it is hanging over my shoulder where I sit and write this.

For those of you who care to try, talk to your angel. Mine has shared his name with me. They work hard for us, thank them.

One of my favorite prayers:

Angel of God,
    My Guardian dear,
    To whom God's love commits me here,
    Ever this day be at my side,
    To light and guard,
    To rule and guide,
    Amen.
    A great book on the subject is Angels and Demons: What do we really know about them? By Peter Kreeft
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Um, I carry a coin in my pocket while working

"Saint Michael" is on one side, the other side says "Patron Saint of Police" "Keep Us Safe day and night. Give us courage, strength and might."

I cant say that I am superstitious but I dont always have three things when I work, my gun, my vest and my coin.
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    A friend of ours' son climbed a book shelf that toppled over on him. It stopped about 45 degrees from the floor with an invisible force holding it up from crushing the child. There are many stories throughout history like this. I know many of us have personal stories like this.

For those of you who care to try, talk to your angel. Mine has shared his name with me. They work hard for us, thank them.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    As a detective I was riding one night with an on duty uniform Lt. As we were patroling a highly active area we stumbled on an armed robbery in progress in the middle of the street. A later identifed juvenile had produced a handgun and was trying to rob a crack head as a "gang" initiation. When we turned onto the street we both saw the pistol pointed in the females face. When the juvenile saw us he began to run away from us on the edge of the street. The Lt. gassed it and caught up with him and he did an about face to run the opposite way. I bailed out and gave chase. I watched him put the pistol in his pocket and hold it there as he ran. We ran for about a block when he cut through an empty field. As he was running through the field he pulled the pistol and pointed it behind him at me and I could see him pulling the trigger. I had my pistol pointed at him and was also pulling the trigger. Neither weapon discharged. He lost his footing and fell and was taken into custody.
    It was later determined that he only had one round in the clip and had not been chambered. My weapon was found to be on safe. The funny thing was is that I never put that weapon on safe. Ever. To this day I don't know how that happened. The suspect stated he did not know why his weapon did not discharge because he was sure he had chambered it prior to the robbery just like he had been shown.
    Guardian angel? Don't know. Divine intervention? I believe so.
    Those are amazing accounts!!! Thanks for sharing them!

Xiphos, how did your guardian angel share his name with you?

I'm agnostic though I would prefer to have a religion. I'm just skeptical and have trouble believing completely that something exists without a lot of scientifically convincing evidence, even if I want to believe it. On the other hand, I believe that anything is possible unless scientifically proven to be impossible, so I think it's possible that guardian angels exist. Rather than being sure that they exist or don't exist, I think in terms of probabilities of them existing or not existing, and my estimate of the probability of them existing goes up when I learn of accounts like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Our Guardian Angel was created specifically for each of us. While angels can protect us from physical dangers their primary purpose is to protect our souls and help us get to heaven. They will act with God in prompting your consience and helping you navigate spiritual growth.
    This makes sense and would help explain why bad things happen to good people--if the goal is to save our souls and not our bodies, God or guardian angels might let our bodies be destroyed if our souls are safe, and only intervene if they believe our souls have not yet been saved, or if they believe we are about to do something that might endanger our souls. Or maybe other people's guardian angels might try to keep us alive so that we can later do something that might help save those other people's souls. Maybe the guardian angels of those of us who are agnostic were trying to keep Lewisipso alive so he could tell that miraculous account that might help the rest of us have more faith.

If the claims of Christianity are true, I'd rather have faith so my soul can be saved than protection from earthly harm, since what happens in life would be less important than what happens in the much longer afterlife. I've prayed for faith but so far it hasn't worked. If I have a guardian angel, he/she is probably banging his/her head on the wall trying to communicate with me.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Jenna said in part: If the claims of Christianity are true, I'd rather have faith so my soul can be saved than protection from earthly harm, since what happens in life would be less important than what happens in the much longer afterlife. I've prayed for faith but so far it hasn't worked. If I have a guardian angel, he/she is probably banging his/her head on the wall trying to communicate with me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

The key word is FAITH. Keep looking and you will find it. Two of the nicest people I have ever talked to was an Irish Priest and a Rabbi. It was most enlightening to say the least. I'm no religious fanantic by any means; I will try to find a reason not to go to Mass if I'm to tired but, what I have been thru in my life, SOMEONE IS WATCHING OVER ME. Kinda woke up a bit after visiting the Vatican and seeing the Pope last year - Renewal I guess.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    No, I think everyone is on their own.

If there is a God or angels, they obviously just pick up the pieces later after we're dead, otherwise no one would ever be hurt or killed, would they?

I think Eve pissed God off, and he's been pissed off ever since, so he doesn't lift a finger, and neither do his angels.

He rules the Earth by physics, mechanics, and the luck of the draw - I think he put those rules in place and is now taking a hands-off approach, thanks to Eve and her damn apple.

Obviously if that Garden of Eden story is true, then God holds one Hell of a grudge.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    No, I think everyone is on their own.

If there is a God or angels, they obviously just pick up the pieces later after we're dead, otherwise no one would ever be hurt or killed, would they?

I think Eve pissed God off, and he's been pissed off ever since, so he doesn't lift a finger, and neither do his angels.

He rules the Earth by physics, mechanics, and the luck of the draw - I think he put those rules in place and is now taking a hands-off approach, thanks to Eve and her damn apple.

Obviously if that Garden of Eden story is true, then God holds one Hell of a grudge.
    Read Genesis again. When the snake talks to Eve does she call Adam over? Does she slice up the fruit and sneak it into dinner? No, she turns to Adam, he's standing there the whole time and he hears the whole conversation. Adam has been entrusted with protecting the Garden. He's supposed to keep the snake out in the first place. Also, he doesn't say, "This is a bad idea, let's leave." He fails in his job to protect Eve and be the spiritual leader he's supposed to be. He is an active participant with Eve the entire time. It gets worse. When God shows up what does Adam do? He blames God and Eve! "The woman YOU gave me..." [read it's your fault for giving her to me.] He's a weasel about it!

Don't blame it all on Eve.

Adam brought death to mankind, Christ brought us eternal life. Christ is sometimes referred to in the Catholic church as the New Adam, he's the "anti-Adam" for our souls.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    You may have guessed that I don't believe any of the stories in the Bible, any more than I believe what's in Grimm's fairy tales, because I think BOTH were written by humans, not the guy upstairs

But I do believe that (like fairy tales), bible stories have profound morals and some loose basis in fact - very loose. Mostly, I think the bible is just good literature and a self-help manual that happens to be better than anything that Dr. Phil has written so far.

But at the same time, the Macro universe as well as the Micro universe and life are all way too complex, from an engineering standpoint, to be explained by some accidental mixing of matter and energy.

Even if the rules of physics can be described by science, scientists will never be able to explain HOW the laws of physics came to be - and what or who enforces those laws.

If you gathered all the prophets of all religions on earth together and squeezed all the facts out of them that you could, you wouldn't get enough facts to fill a thimble - They don't know how the universe was created or who did it, any more than science or my dog knows.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I have experienced an intercession of the spiritual kind at a time when I had given up all hope.

At the time, I thought it was the spirit of my great-grandfather, as I had a habit of praying to him to speak to G-d on my behalf.

He saved my life and my soul.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You may have guessed that I don't believe any of the stories in the Bible, any more than I believe what's in Grimm's fairy tales, because I think BOTH were written by humans, not the guy upstairs

But I do believe that (like fairy tales), bible stories have profound morals and some loose basis in fact - very loose. Mostly, I think the bible is just good literature and a self-help manual that happens to be better than anything that Dr. Phil has written so far.

But at the same time, the Macro universe as well as the Micro universe and life are all way too complex, from an engineering standpoint, to be explained by some accidental mixing of matter and energy.

Even if the rules of physics can be described by science, scientists will never be able to explain HOW the laws of physics came to be - and what or who enforces those laws.

If you gathered all the prophets of all religions on earth together and squeezed all the facts out of them that you could, you wouldn't get enough facts to fill a thimble - They don't know how the universe was created or who did it, any more than science or my dog knows.
    We obviously disagree. I just wanted to make sure that Eve wasn't shouldering all the blame in your post.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe the guardian angels of those of us who are agnostic were trying to keep Lewisipso alive so he could tell that miraculous account that might help the rest of us have more faith.

If the claims of Christianity are true, I'd rather have faith so my soul can be saved than protection from earthly harm, since what happens in life would be less important than what happens in the much longer afterlife. I've prayed for faith but so far it hasn't worked. If I have a guardian angel, he/she is probably banging his/her head on the wall trying to communicate with me.
    Faith in God is not something we find by accident like a coin on the street. It is something we choose to have. You have come a long way since we first began talking. It would seem you have more faith than you think.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

It pains me to know this. I pray your heart is touched and you reconsider.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    God or an angel assigned by him has had my back and pulled me out of some serious stuff and allowed me to learn through the various situations. Yes, I believe in both.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yes, I do. I've seen too much stuff that is NOT coincidence to not believe in 'the other side,' in general.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    No. I believe a person's destiny is already written. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go. Worrying about it is pointless.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While not as direct as Lew's account I believe there has been some sort of intervention in certain situations.

Whether it's being at the right place at the right time, or getting out of a seemingly impossible situation. I've been there a couple times and had to ask myself later just how in the heck something happened the way it did.

There have been times on patrol where something has told me that I had better turn down a certain street, and times when I thought for sure the vehicle was wrecked and it was righted, etc.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    I was starting to pull off at an exit ramp on I-85 to get gas and a bite to eat. Something told me to swerve hard left just as some maniac passed me on the right apparently not knowing or caring whether it was an exit ramp or not. I broke into a cold sweat as I would've been broadsided by the other vehicle going at least 70 MPH.
    This may sound crazy, but it was almost as if someone else jerked the wheel hard left in the fraction of a second, which I believe saved my life.
    I've had too many close calls in life to pass off as just having good luck.
    Some one posted when it's time to go you'll go. This may be true, but it has nothing to do with how many times in life some unseen benefactor prevented you from being killed.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Very interesting thread.
    Impressed that everyone is having an adult conversation on what could be a very controversial subject.

I also believe in Angels. I have 3 myself.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    God or an angel assigned by him has had my back and pulled me out of some serious stuff and allowed me to learn through the various situations. Yes, I believe in both.
    I agree, been there, done that. But for a few interventions I wouldn't be here. Everyone has their own set of beliefs and it is there choice & I will fight for there right to their beliefs.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information