Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be Professional

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Once again, the edges of the text are cropped. Looks like a promising read. I look forward to reading it.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Once again, the edges of the text are cropped. Looks like a promising read. I look forward to reading it.

We're working on that as I type. Thanks.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Did anyone catch this?

- Functional sunglasses that don't look like you got them as a gift from The Terminator.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    I agree completely about the brass/nametag. I want to slap every cop I see that feels they have to look like a Mexican general.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Did anyone catch this?

- Functional sunglasses that don't look like you got them as a gift from The Terminator.
    Yep, but I thought mentioning it would make me look unprofeshional

I never saw anything wrong with Terminator's glasses... I would think wearing glasses that looked like Elton John might be more of an issue

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I disagree with him on one point - if you read further in the original work by Ayoob, Mas makes mention of the fact that crooks look for the marksmanship medals, like the little blue bars that say "master," etc.

I wear my little blue bar thats says "Firearms Instructor" and it has been noticed and commented on by crooks.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Read it earlier today and agreed with it. Always thought the officers that wear all their medals looked presumptuous when the rest of us just wore our Class "B"'s. Personally, never left the house without ironing my uniform and buffing my boots and polishing my brass. Never got gigged in an inspection for my uniform, just for forgetting my Sheriffs ID badge once, just once.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Did anyone catch this?

Caught it and chuckled out loud!

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Read it earlier today and agreed with it. Always thought the officers that wear all their medals looked presumptuous when the rest of us just wore our Class "B"'s. Personally, never left the house without ironing my uniform and buffing my boots and polishing my brass. Never got gigged in an inspection for my uniform, just for forgetting my Sheriffs ID badge once, just once.
    In the NYPD if you are awarded several of a medal it is designated as such on the breast bar with either additional stars or a number, depending upon the medal.

At a previous command I had a Sergeant whose achievements on the job entailed several Honorable Mentions,Commendations and a Combat Cross. He also had HUNDREDS of MPD's and EPD's. He was aces. While I was there the Sergeant had the respect of all the officers below him and the perps knew not to screw around with him.

I would never think that he, wearing medals with the number 100 on them, was "presumptuous"!
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Verified LEO
    There are exceptions to every rule, Vengeance. I think agencies like NYPD that have established protocals for displaying awards tend to pull it off more tastefully than other agencies.

Smaller agencies (like mine) have no established policies on what medals we can recieve or wear. So we get some people that wear a "SWAT" pin that looks like they got out of a crackerjack box or some other similar useless decoration and, like I said, they come across looking like a Mexican general.

We are making general statements here- they aren't directed at any person or agency- and I think we all understand there are exceptions.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    In the NYPD if you are awarded several of a medal it is designated as such on the breast bar with either additional stars or a number, depending upon the medal.

At a previous command I had a Sergeant whose achievements on the job entailed several Honorable Mentions,Commendations and a Combat Cross. He also had HUNDREDS of MPD's and EPD's. He was aces. While I was there the Sergeant had the respect of all the officers below him and the perps knew not to screw around with him.

I would never think that he, wearing medals with the number 100 on them, was "presumptuous"!

In our agency, we only wore our ribbons and medals with our class A uniforms. The ones who wore them with their class B uniforms were usually only wearing them to look "cool". You'd have to know the ones who did it to understand, wasn't trying to take away from the people who earned their medals, Vengance, I guess you took what I meant the wrong way, sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant no disrespect at all.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I agree that an officer needs to look professional.I've seen too many cops that look like they work in the grease pit at Jiffy Lube. Wrinkled pants, shabby duty belt and equipment, and shoes that haven't seen a shine since they were new. I've seen 6'4"inch muscle heads that have every hair on their head in place, but wouldn't know how to set a gig line. On the other hand, I've seen a lot more professional officers that take pride in their job and uniform, and my guess is that the public perception of them is much more favorable. Not only that, but the bad guys take notice of the way you act and carry youself. Good article.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you earned them, wear them. Take pride in your accomplishments on this job, you won't have many other opportunities for a "well done" from most police administrations. I believe that the point Ayoob was trying to make is that officers who doll their uniforms up strictly for show aren't any more respected than the ones who slouch. I can pin up a uniform like a redneck fishing hat, but there's a difference between a 'Dare' pin and a MoH, and the thugs know it damn near as well as we do.

Wearing of decorations can also be presumptuous when those medals aren't accompanied by the attitude (call it swagger, if you will) of a professional cop.

I think that thugs watch what an officer does and says just as much as his appearance. If he sees that "calm confidence" on the street, he'll take that into account a hell of a lot more than he'll count the medals on his chest.

Membership in an SRT, SWAT, or CRT is a badge of honor for most agencies. For most agencies, its an honor that's earned, not bestowed. It means (for most agencies) that "this cop shoots straight, stays calm under pressure, and has devoted enough time on the job to do it well." Now, for the locals, they know what departments treat SWAT like a clique, and what departments employ professional, competent officers in specialized units. The travelling type may not, but put emphasis on a cop's demeanor just as much as a uniform appearance, imho.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Reminds me of a saying one of my instructors had when I joined our CRT, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to take out everyone you meet"
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1 View Post
    Reminds me of a saying one of my instructors had when I joined our CRT, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to take out everyone you meet"
    I don't know how your agency rolls, Hawk. But I only like to take out the ladies.

But don't worry, we accept you for who you are.

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    walked right into that one!
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I know that I dont wear my accomplishments on my daily uniform, even though they like us to(not mandatory), because after the third one that was lost due to the backing falling off or rolling around on the ground, it just takes too long to get new ones and I hated the idea of them getting wrecked.
    They now sit neatly in a box with the letters and are worn on the A class uni only.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Well that's all wonderful if you don't have a set policy for what brass is to be worn, when and how. Unfortunately I am LOADED with it. I have, every day:

Belt buckle
    Keepers (5)
    Pouches/Cases (mag, cuffs, phone, OC)
    Badge
    Name Tag
    Collar Brass (CSP and 2D)
    6-4-2 Pin

Then if you do manage to win an award, it is to be worn as well. I don't like all the brass, and none of the troopers do either, but the well "brass" does, so we get to keep it all. I wish some of those admin types would look at articles like this, and think about it. Even on traffic details, its not wise to glint like a christmas tree in the sunlight.

*bangs head against wall some more*
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
    Well that's all wonderful if you don't have a set policy for what brass is to be worn, when and how. Unfortunately I am LOADED with it. I have, every day:

Belt buckle
    Keepers (5)
    Pouches/Cases (mag, cuffs, phone, OC)
    Badge
    Name Tag
    Collar Brass (CSP and 2D)
    6-4-2 Pin

Then if you do manage to win an award, it is to be worn as well. I don't like all the brass, and none of the troopers do either, but the well "brass" does, so we get to keep it all. I wish some of those admin types would look at articles like this, and think about it. Even on traffic details, its not wise to glint like a christmas tree in the sunlight.

*bangs head against wall some more*
    I always did notice that glint in the sunlight and with flashlights and wondered why no one really noticed this as a problem? I feel for you guys that have to wear it all. I dont know how you dont lose them, my seatbelt used to rip one of them off all the time! lol
    I had my badge, FTO pin and name tag and then my belt with all its stuff.
    Most of the time I wore my name tag and fto pin during roll call only then put it in my safebag i had in the car and then put it all back on at check out... I was just one of those folks that lost that stuff all the time or wrecked it all the time! I am amazed when I see guys with all their stuff on! I guess I am extremely clumsy or something
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped