Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Is Your Patrol Car Computer Going to Kill You?

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    Some good points. I always thought the lack of a computer in car would be the death of me. Sometimes getting information quickly around here is like shooting the hairs off a gnat's ass at 100 yards - I'm sure it could be done, but it's damn near impossible.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    excellent article.
    I liked the computer for running folks due to the air always being so busy and such
    but most of the time, mine played music and was closed after I ran a red light.
    (thank god i was lucky), I ran a red light while looking up a priority call that came through and dispatch was being slow, so I figured I would haul ass and look it up - bad idea and thank god i had an angel watching over me.
    We lose power often and ever rain storm (every afternoon) the computers dont work anyway...
    My trainees were not allowed to use the computer at all. They knew how, but I found that they were too dependant, so out the window it went (so to speak).
    They have all the time in the world to play with it on their last phase on their own.
    I can understand the trap of becoming to unaware of your surroundings as well. I would play solitare sometimes when I just needed a break and noticed that about 20 min would go by and I actually scared myself with the idea that my eyes were in the car for that long and not outside.
    All I can say, is that I feel lucky that I was never messed up by my computer.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I like what the articles says. But as far as actually experience with a computer in the carI have none as we don't have them in our cars. We don't even have MDT's.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    If it were not for MDT's in our cars, we would never get anything done!
    I'm ready for spring!

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Back in 2004, my wrist got broken when my laptop spun around and the airbag caused my hand to fly back into it when this birdbrain hit my car while running lights and siren. The damn laptop spun inplace, and the edge of the toughbook caught the top of my wrist just right. Both cars were totaled, talk about bad luck. Our patrol laptop mounts suck, and the ones in the newer cars are the worst yet. We actually get yelled at by our supervisors because we are supposed to type our reports in the car and print them in the district remotely. We have that policy now that the laptop screen has to be down while we are driving (too many rear end crashes), but all of our calls are dispatched on the computer. The dispatcher would tell you to check your laptop for a call if you did not acknowledge them yourself. the bad part was that we would get updates to our calls on the laptops instead of the radio, which really sucked on hot calls. That has changed, but some of the dispatchers still do it. It's about 50/50 on how good they are to use in the patrol car. They are great for running tags and such, but suck to have calls dispatched on them.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    My department has gone to computer based reporting, dispatching and everything else. It's got its pros and cons... but one headache I've noticed is that while you hear the dispatch, you don't always hear how a call gets cleared when they update all that via computer. Since I don't often have a MDT... I'm often wondering what the hell happened.

Another big thing I've noticed (we're on the second software vendor...) is that, in a lot of cases, I don't think the weenies building the software have tried using it in a car... One program featured dark gray writing on a light gray background... kind of like this. Yeah... you try reading that!

We (or at least I was) were always taught to stay out of the station, and do paper in our cars. Ideally in a place that balances safety with visibility... But it's way too easy with the computer to really get absorbed in fighting the program.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    Back in 2004, my wrist got broken when my laptop spun around and the airbag caused my hand to fly back into it when this birdbrain hit my car while running lights and siren. The damn laptop spun inplace, and the edge of the toughbook caught the top of my wrist just right. Both cars were totaled, talk about bad luck. Our patrol laptop mounts suck, and the ones in the newer cars are the worst yet. We actually get yelled at by our supervisors because we are supposed to type our reports in the car and print them in the district remotely. We have that policy now that the laptop screen has to be down while we are driving (too many rear end crashes), but all of our calls are dispatched on the computer. The dispatcher would tell you to check your laptop for a call if you did not acknowledge them yourself. the bad part was that we would get updates to our calls on the laptops instead of the radio, which really sucked on hot calls. That has changed, but some of the dispatchers still do it. It's about 50/50 on how good they are to use in the patrol car. They are great for running tags and such, but suck to have calls dispatched on them.
    as far as the calls going through your computer... I was greatful to be a training unit and told them that they HAD to dispatch all calls via the radio and computer. I actually told the dispatcher that I had no computer lol...that worked for about 6 months until my LT asked me about it
    Holy shit on the wrist thing!!!

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    To his world of illusion

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We have Mobile Computers for NCIC and we also use a chat room as a back-up for dispatch and car to car communication. We also do all our reports on a second lap top that we carry in a hard case and take in to do our reports. Takes a little longer but on the plus side, we take digital photos of all witnesses, victims and suspects so we now have a large database of photos.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Imagine this scenario: you worked at an agency years ago as it converted from revolvers to semi-automatic weapons. For training, you were given a classroom session that taught you about the frame, the slide, and the magazine, and then you were taken to the range to shoot 50 rounds. That's it.
    This is exactly how I was transitioned from revolver to auto, except it was 60 rounds.

I remember when my department got its first mobile computers. There was much anticipation of their arrival. I arrived at roll call one afternoon. The shift sergeant advised that the new computers were now installed and working. The user name (to log on) would be our last name and we would all have the same password, which we could subsequently change. He wished us "good luck." That was our training.
    Didn't even get that.

We are also encouraged to conduct our report writing while in the unit. It is not necessarily easy. There is no safe public place to park. We are a target everywhere. We do have the option to go to the jail parking lot which is secure from the public but remaining to long on the property will get you questioned. I have noticed that being parked somewhere makes me nervous and paranoid. I find myself looking around more often but sometimes getting to envolved in the report. I guess it is what it is.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Goz, I wish I could have done that, but even when I had a trainee, we still had to use the damn computer. I also forgot to add that they installed GPS units on all of our laptops. If it went down (for some unknown reason ), the dispatcher would call the supervisor to let them know your GPS was not working. They would make us hook it back up then. The dispatchers here also dime you out when you are speeding also. Talk about big brother. It's almost like they work for IA or something.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    I wish I could have done that, but even when I had a trainee, we still had to use the damn computer. I also forgot to add that they installed GPS units on all of our laptops. If it went down (for some unknown reason ), the dispatcher would call the supervisor to let them know your GPS was not working. They would make us hook it back up then. The dispatchers here also dime you out when you are speeding also. Talk about big brother. It's almost like they work for IA or something.
    omg dude that sucks...

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    To his world of illusion

Verified LEO
    Yes it does. Glad I am a detective now, so no more laptops, gps, and marked car to get into trouble over.

ALWAYS FIRST!!!

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I copied the below from the article:

Yet, there is a disconnect. Generally, the administration has been away from the road for more than a few years. They've never worked a single shift using a real mobile computer.

How many of you work for agencies where some, if not most of the upper eschelon never worked the road?

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I dont quite understand??? How is this going to get me hurt???

]

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    Are you sure those are non-toxic markers!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Are you sure those are non-toxic markers!
    Didn't think of that,Note to self:must check marker toxcitity
    ]

Riggs is offline P2Dawg
    All of our "shops" (vehicles) are MDT equipped. We use them for running vehicles/persons, receiving radio calls, and other messages from our RTO's (dispatchers). The cd drive is there but the software to play music/watch dvd's has been removed. We also do not write reports in the vehicle. It's far safer to write them in the confines of the police station.
    I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Didn't think of that,Note to self:must check marker toxcitity
    Just have Pudge play with them while he is on recess.

ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Thread Information