Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Clever Thieving

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Clever Thieving

I have admiration for someone with more imagination and intelligence than resorting to sticking a gun in the face of a minimum wage midnight clerk at the Stop-N-Rob. I'm glad he got caught and I hope the money gets returned to the victims. But I admire the clever effort.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...legedly-b.html

Man Allegedly Bilks E-trade, Schwab of $50,000 by Collecting Lots of Free 'Micro-Deposits'
    By Kevin Poulsen

A California man has been indicted for an inventive scheme that allegedly siphoned $50,000 from online brokerage houses E-trade and Schwab.com in six months -- a few pennies at a time.

Michael Largent, of Plumas Lake, California, allegedly exploited a loophole in a common procedure both companies follow when a customer links his brokerage account to a bank account for the first time. To verify that the account number and routing information is correct, the brokerages automatically send small "micro-deposits" of between two cents to one dollar to the account, and ask the customer to verify that they've received it.

Largent allegedly used an automated script to open 58,000 online brokerage accounts, linking each of them to a handful of online bank accounts, and accumulating thousands of dollars in micro-deposits.

I know it's only May, but I think the competition for Threat Level's Caper of the Year award is over.

Largent's script allegedly used fake names, addresses and Social Security numbers for the brokerage accounts. Largent allegedly favored cartoon characters for the names, including Johnny Blaze, King of the Hill patriarch Hank Hill, and Rusty Shackelford. That last name is doubly-fake -- it's the alias commonly used by the paranoid exterminator Dale Gribble on King of the Hill.

The banks involved included Capital One, Metabank, Greendot and Skylight. Largent allegedly cashed out by channeling the money into pre-paid debit cards.

A May 7 Secret Service search warrant affidavit (.pdf) says Largent tried the same thing with Google's Checkout service, accumulating $8,225.29 in eight different bank accounts at Bancorp Bank.

When the bank asked Largent about the thousands of small transfers, he told them that he'd read Google's terms of service, and that it didn't prohibit multiple e-mail addresses and accounts. "He stated he needed the money to pay off debts and stated that this was one way to earn money, by setting up multiple accounts having Google submit the two small deposits."

The Google caper is not charged in the indictment. (.pdf)

According to the government, Largent was undone by the USA Patriot Act's requirement that financial firms verify the identity of their customers. Schwab.com was notified in January that more than 5,000 online accounts had been opened with bogus information. When the Secret Service investigated, they found some 11,385 Schwab accounts were opened under the name "Speed Apex" from the same five IP addresses, all of them tracing back to Largent's internet service from AT&T.

Largent is free on bail. He's charged in federal court in Sacramento with four counts each of computer fraud, wire fraud and mail fraud. He didn't return repeated phone calls Tuesday; Representatives of E-trade, Schwab.com and Google also didn't return phone calls.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    wow.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And he would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    kind of reminds me of office space...
    lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    I am Mr. Shackleford's attorney, Rusty Shackleford.

Kate is offline Corporal
    LMAO @ 5-0!

MissMyCaprice is offline Master Officer
    So many questions:
    Are they charging him with 400000 counts of theft of 7 cents?
    What was he earning per hour by the time he did all these bogus accounts?
    Is it really theft if they deposit the money voluntarily? I mean, you don't ask for it.
    Is Rusty Shackleford going to testify about how his credit was ruined?
    Who detected this?
    What agency investigated?
    If this case crossed my desk, it would not make it past the trash-can.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMyCaprice View Post
    So many questions:
    Are they charging him with 400000 counts of theft of 7 cents?
    What was he earning per hour by the time he did all these bogus accounts?
    Is it really theft if they deposit the money voluntarily? I mean, you don't ask for it.
    Is Rusty Shackleford going to testify about how his credit was ruined?
    Who detected this?
    What agency investigated?
    If this case crossed my desk, it would not make it past the trash-can.
    I wonder if the only thing he did wrong was lie about his name and social security number? If he used his real info and they deposited it I don't think he would have been doing anything wrong. He fraudulently obtained it though by lying.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Roses is offline Member
    There was a movie that is similar to this. I think it was a superman movie if I'm not mistaken. The bad guy in the movie had opened an account for all the pennies from payroll checks.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roses View Post
    There was a movie that is similar to this. I think it was a superman movie if I'm not mistaken. The bad guy in the movie had opened an account for all the pennies from payroll checks.
    I don't remember if it was Superman but I think I remember that. When banks had fractions of a penny he had a computer program that rounded that fraction down and deposited the fraction in his account.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Two movies had this in it....Superman III and Office Space. For any further useless information needs feel free to look me up.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information