Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

How much training do you have?

Other than having a HS or a college diploma and being a graduate of a police academy... how much other specialized training do you have?
    Does your department fully subsidize, or help to pay for selected personnel to attend LE related seminars, workshops, symposiums, schools, etc.?
    If you're in the private or public sector, does your boss or company pay for, or help to defray the expenses of refresher courses, etc. related to your job?

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    I am disappointed in the training the dept has sent me too. When I got hired on, it was "We send our people to lots of training, etc" I haven't been to jack that I haven't done myself. I put myself through SWAT, Swift Water Rescue, Terrorism conferences, etc on my own dime and vaction time.

As far as college goes, they will pay for 2 classes a semester. I have a degree, so that doesn't matter to me though

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    *Graduate United States Army Basic Training Fort Leonard Wood Mo.
    *Graduate United States Army Signal Center (radio teletype operator school) Fort Gordon Ga.
    *Graduate New Orleans Harbor Police Academy Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T. State of Louisiana)
    *Graduate Aerosol Chemical Weapons Familiarization Course
    *Graduate Louisiana State Police sponsored R.A.D.A.R./ L.I.D.A.R. instructor course (expired)
    *Graduate Advanced Investigators Death and Homicide seminar
    *Graduate Federal Bureau of Investigation sponsored Latent Fingerprint Identification School
    *Graduate Regional Counterdrug Training Academy Interview and Interrogation School
    *Graduate Regional Counterdrug Training Academy Gang School Seminar
    *Graduate Northwestern State University sponsored New Criminal Investigators Institute Seminar
    *Graduate Northwestern State University sponsored Death and Homicide Case Investigators Seminar
    *Graduate Baton Rouge Police sponsored Crime Scene Investigation School
    *Graduate Louisiana Community Policing Institute Domestic Violence Acquiring and Sharing Information
    *Graduate Louisiana Community Policing Institute Domestic Violence Full Faith and Discharge of Protective Orders
    *Graduate Freeze +P Aerosol Chemical Weapons Instructor course (expired)
    *Graduate Train the Trainer Domestic Violence Instructor course
    *Graduate Basic SWAT school/member of department SOG/entry position

SWAT school was almost 2 years ago. Unfortunately there is not a lot of training with this department. Still a good place to work. No paying or reimbursing for college. Ergo no degree. Can't afford that and life too.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    back when I was with the SO it was my dime, now that I'm in a municipality they pay. We do get a good deal of training, not enough, but a good bit. It also helps that i write the policies regarding our training. No reimbursement for college although I would like to see that change. I do have a BS in CJ management (my dime) and a host of schools for specialized training. Alabama Post now offers a certified police chief certificate for 240 hrs of training in management areas.
    lewisipso; I noticed you had several certificates from RCTA, is that the one in Meridian, Ms.? Great place to get FREE training, FREE room and board...High quality courses too.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are correct sir. Meridan Ms. Excellent schools. Wish I had more opportunity to go. I haven't been to a school in over a year.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

scarpetta is offline Rookie
    I am with an S.O. in FL. They pay for our training mostly only for detectives and specialty units. I have been luck though I have attend quite a bit of training on their dime.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've about 35 or 40 speciality courses from everything srom supervisory skills to computer networking. Probably the best were several 2 week courses in SWAT operations and the Northwestern Police School of Staff and Command.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    You are correct sir. Meridan Ms. Excellent schools. Wish I had more opportunity to go. I haven't been to a school in over a year.

I have two training requests for Meridian in the chain now. Waiting to put another one in as soon as the class time is released. Both classes are in September, but I have not been approved on our end for the last 3 requests that I put in for.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    With my current agency, not counting my academy time, I have 863 hours continuing training.

And here is another vote for RCTA in Meridian. If you are able to go, then GO. Not only do they have top notch instructors and facillities.......they have steak and beer night. What more could you ask for?

(Im a graduate of RCTA's gang school and interviews and interrogations classes)
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    (Im a graduate of RCTA's gang school and interviews and interrogations classes)

TCap here and the Interview and Interrogation class is one of the classes I have put in for.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    TCap here and the Interview and Interrogation class is one of the classes I have put in for.
    TCap is good from what I hear. A couple of friends have been to it. I&I is a blast if its going to be taught by the same guy. My instructor was Dr Rhodes. He's got more qualifications than you can shake a stick at, but then he tells you he is a rodeo clown for fun. And shows you pics hahaha. I had a ball. I hope you get to go.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Thread Information