Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ghstface38 is offline Small Time Shootist

Has anyone tried Rosetta Stone?

I was thinking about using Rosetta Stone to help myself learn more Spanish. Has anyone here tried it? What'd you think about it?

Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!
    Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me.

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ghstface38 View Post
    I was thinking about using Rosetta Stone to help myself learn more Spanish. Has anyone here tried it? What'd you think about it?

Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!
    I haven't used it, but I have talked to people that have. Its very expensive, but they said it was worth it...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Oh is it expensive? I had no idea, that may shoot down my hopes of trying it.
    Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me.

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ghstface38 View Post
    Oh is it expensive? I had no idea, that may shoot down my hopes of trying it.
    Yeah its about 200 bucks per level and for spanish there are three levels...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I tried another series, they send it every 6 weeks or so. I think there are about 8 series of disks and other material and was about 40 bucks a pop. I have it all in storage but I will look around and see if I can find any literature if you decide you want to check it out. Compared to Rosetta it was cheaper in the long run. Does it work? I don't know, I ended up getting very busy when the series started coming in and never got the chance to use it. But I believe the first set comes on a trial basis and if you don't like it you can cancel it. Let me know and if your interested I'll do some hunting around and see if I can get the info.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Our city just offere a $100 a month bonus to anyone who completes the Rosetta Stone program, and can pass the fluency test once a year.

Most of the guys I work with that started it, quit within 2 months.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wow, I'd really like to give it a try.

$200.00 a pop is a little crazy. There's no way I could afford that right now.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Let me look around and see if I can find anything on it. I may have found it when I opened one of those stupid "you qualify for a laptop" crappy emails saw it and figured hmmm what the heck. I'll look in one of them and see if I see it, I know I'll recognise the name of it.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Premium Lifetime Member
    Let me look around and see if I can find anything on it. I may have found it when I opened one of those stupid "you qualify for a laptop" crappy emails saw it and figured hmmm what the heck. I'll look in one of them and see if I see it, I know I'll recognise the name of it. The best part is you only pay as you recieve the cd's, not all at once so it's a little easier to afford it as a monthly payment rather than all at one time.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    I started it. Sometimes local libraries will offer it for free to members. The Fort Worth Library was doing that for resident members. I had a buddy get me a library card so I could do it. It seemed pretty good. Check out your local library and see if they have it.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Let me know Mack!

The91Bravo is offline Deputy Sheriff
    Here is a site where you can get all the Rosetta files, I believe they are free, but I am not sure. Found the site, never downloaded any.

I bought Arabic year before last, have not had time for more than one lesson since I got it.

Good luck

Steve

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=rosetta

Kate is offline Corporal
    My brother was a C/O before his unit was called up (Marines) and he was sent to Iraq. He learned a little Spanish on his own when he was a C/O, but wish he knew more.

When he went to Iraq, he learned the basics and picked up everything else as he went along. Of course when he got home, all he wanted to do was tell my boys all the bad words he'd learned in Iraq.

I had a French and Spanish program when I bought my desktop and it had a few discs each. It's probably not what you're looking for, especially because it's a few years old, but if I can find it (if I didn't already throw them away), you're more than welcome to it.

That'll work!

Quote Originally Posted by Katey View Post
    My brother was a C/O before his unit was called up (Marines) and he was sent to Iraq. He learned a little Spanish on his own when he was a C/O, but wish he knew more.

When he went to Iraq, he learned the basics and picked up everything else as he went along. Of course when he got home, all he wanted to do was tell my boys all the bad words he'd learned in Iraq.

I had a French and Spanish program when I bought my desktop and it had a few discs each. It's probably not what you're looking for, especially because it's a few years old, but if I can find it (if I didn't already throw them away), you're more than welcome to it.

Thread Information