Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Life and Death

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Life and Death

Last night was an emotional night for members of my family and close friends. Not my wife and I but our kids. Apparently a violent and fatal single occupant car crash took the life of a close friend to my 17 and 18 year old boys and my 15 year old babysitter. In brief the inexperienced driver left the roadway at a high rate of speed, overcorrected, flipped several times and met her demise at the base of a tree.
    After I made the notification to the family members and sitter I stood by as the news sunk in and the emotions began to run rampant. On top of this my sitters sister was on the phone with the deceased encouraging her to hurry to a get together at a common friends residence. The accident happened just shortly after her call. It would seem she now has a heavy burden to shoulder believing she has contributed to the accident.
    I have made numerous death notifications in my day but this is the first that has come this close to home. The persons I had to notify began to look to me for support and answers. I began to think of what to say as I observed the emotional toll unraveling in front of me. My words were not carefully chosen as usual. They came not from the robotic comments we sometimes must utter under unfamiliar circumstances and persons. They came as they were thought. I hope they make sense as they seemed to do for my children and family friends. I want to share some of them here for anyone who has suffered under similar circumstances.
    It is not possible for we as humans to accept responsibility for anothers actions. So please do not try. We, in truth, are responsible for our own actions and deeds. Death is not a pleasant cycle of life. However unpleasant it may be it is necessary to know that death comes to us all. Inexperience driving skills, youth, and being gathered into the moment all assisted in the taking of this life. The circumstances may be different to each situation but the fact is that persons who have left this world while engaging in unsafe activities have in truth left themselves victim to their own responsibilities.
    My comments are not sugar coated for sakes purpose. Nor are they meant to be abrasive or offensive directed to someone's character. I say these things for this reason. I have a firm belief that God is not only no respector of person but not a person's body. Our bodies are given to us as a container for the entities contained therein. It is not our job to judge a person. We should leave that to God. With that aside we should be left with one lesson. Let the person that has passed on under such similar circumstances be a shining light. Allow the memory of the person and their death be as a lesson and sacrifice given. One of responsibility. Do not allow the death of a loved one go in vain. Let their legacy be that of teaching. Learn from the mistake(s) of a person and let that learning pass on from one to another so that others may learn from them. The sacrifice of one person may very well safe the life of another. Although a sad and sorrowful event, a person's passing under a momentary lack of good judgement or a lifetime of distressing circumstances can very well be a beacon of shining light.
    If anyone reading this is having trouble with a death of such similar circumstance take heart that there is no shame in saying so and reaching out for someone to talk to. I hope this writing helps in some way.
    Godspeed to you Raven on your journey. May it be just beginning. Although I never knew you I have seen how your life has touched the lives of other people and I will use your memory as an education to others.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My deep sympathy at your children's loss, Lew. Your thoughts and feelings on the subject are poignant and invite soul searching.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Well said, Lew, prayers to the children, lets hope they all learn from this and your words.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow, that is such an honest but beautiful and healing way to deal with such a tragedy. I never know what to say beyond the standard condolences when confronted with tragedy. Your family and friends are fortunate to have your guidance when dealing with this. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us as well.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Stories like this make me think back to my Sophmore year in High School. SIX associates of mine, all 3-4 years older, were killed in a single vehicle car crash. All had been drinking. I was very close with to guys from sports.

I might have not have ever done so anyway, regardless, I NEVER drank a drop and drove after that event. I always did, and still do to this day, think about that event before getting behind the wheel after having any alcohol.

May Raven never be forgotten and may her memory cause many positive lasting impressions on many people forever.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    Prayers sent.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Thoughts and prayers en route to all involved. Your words are eloquent and honest and I'm sure that they gave great comfort.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    to you and yours. I am sorry for their loss and subsequently yours. Your thoughts are beautifully said and appreciated. Prayers enroute.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think we here at O/R have another ranter on par with Countybear.

You said "My words were not carefully chosen as usual." On the contrary, I think your words were very well chosen. Hopefully those whom you spoke them to will recall these words and find strength in them as I have.

Along those lines, this resonates with me with the two officers that I honor in my signature. Howie's death was especially hard on me. He was also the first Line of Duty Death in my towns history since being incorporated in the early 1900's. As Bob had served with Howie, I naturally looked to him for answers. Bob informed me that Howie did not die in vain. Howie died doing something that he loved to do and that was serving and protecting the members of our city. If we must do something, let it be that we do our best to emulate the type of man that Howie was. I will never forget those words as long as I live. Sadly, our town lost Bob just a few short years later to a heart attack. I feel that I must do my best to emulate them both. Their legacy will continue to live on to this very day and well on through eternity. These men are the reason why I joined a few LE forums, as I felt the need for the comeraderie that we all share here. I think this forum is the best of all.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I am so sorry you have to go through all of this
    Thoughts to everyone involved
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Kate is offline Corporal
    Ditto what Jenna said.

Thoughts and prayers sent.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I am so sorry, Lew. You have such a talent at putting thoughts into words. My thoughts are with you all.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    You did your job, making the notification, and follow-up as a parent. Notifications are never easy. The on-the-job bringers of bad news know they can leave soon. The support people pick up the pieces after the police, firefighhters, EMS or coroner leave. Unless it hits close to home....

There is no easy way. Prayers.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    One thing that your constantly exposed to as a law enforcement officer is the reality of how fragile life is. Sometimes a person is allowed to make a mistake and recover unharmed. Sometimes not. WE of all people should realize how precious ever moment of life is. WE because of this exposure should enjoy every moment of time spent with our family and friends. WE constantly see people throwing away or not appreciating the value of life either in one final stupid act or a little at a time. Thats why its important to appreciate people like James Lewis and be thankful they are a part of our lives.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I think we here at O/R have another ranter on par with Countybear.
    The thought is appreciated but I don't even play in the same ballpark.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information