Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO

The Air Powered Car.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4251491.html
    Air-Powered Car Coming to U.S. in 2009 to 2010 at Sub-$18,000, Could Hit 1000-Mile Range

The CityCAT, already being developed in India (bottom left), will be available for U.S. production in three different four-door styles. But it's the radical dual-energy engine, with a possible 1000-mile range at 96 mph, that could move the Air Car beyond Auto X Prize dreams and into American garages.

By Matt Sullivan
    Published on: February 22, 2008

The Air Car caused a huge stir when we reported last year that Tata Motors would begin producing it in India. Now the little gas-free ride that could is headed Stateside in a big-time way.

Zero Pollution Motors (ZPM) confirmed to PopularMechanics.com on Thursday that it expects to produce the world’s first air-powered car for the United States by late 2009 or early 2010. As the U.S. licensee for Luxembourg-based MDI, which developed the Air Car as a compression-based alternative to the internal combustion engine, ZPM has attained rights to build the first of several modular plants, which are likely to begin manufacturing in the Northeast and grow for regional production around the country, at a clip of up to 10,000 Air Cars per year.

And while ZPM is also licensed to build MDI’s two-seater OneCAT economy model (the one headed for India) and three-seat MiniCAT (like a SmartForTwo without the gas), the New Paltz, N.Y., startup is aiming bigger: Company officials want to make the first air-powered car to hit U.S. roads a $17,800, 75-hp equivalent, six-seat modified version of MDI’s CityCAT (pictured above) that, thanks to an even more radical engine, is said to travel as far as 1000 miles at up to 96 mph with each tiny fill-up.

We’ll believe that when we drive it, but MDI’s new dual-energy engine—currently being installed in models at MDI facilities overseas—is still pretty damn cool in concept. After using compressed air fed from the same Airbus-built tanks in earlier models to run its pistons, the next-gen Air Car has a supplemental energy source to kick in north of 35 mph, ZPM says. A custom heating chamber heats the air in a process officials refused to elaborate upon, though they insisted it would increase volume and thus the car’s range and speed.

“I want to stress that these are estimates, and that we’ll know soon more precisely from our engineers,” ZPM spokesman Kevin Haydon told PM, “but a vehicle with one tank of air and, say, 8 gal. of either conventional petrol, ethanol or biofuel could hit between 800 and 1000 miles.”

Those figures would make the Air Car, along with Aptera’s Typ-1 and Tesla’s Roadster, a favorite among early entrants for the Automotive X Prize, for which MDI and ZPM have already signed up. But with the family-size, four-door CityCAT undergoing standard safety tests in Europe, then side-impact tests once it arrives in the States, could it be the first 100-mpg, nonelectric car you can actually buy?
    click on this link to watch the BBC news report on this car.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ov4t1P9bdGw

This would be a terrific idea, but we know that our safety standards and Insurance companies here would most likely convert the car to look more like this:
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Kate is offline Corporal
    How many of you would drive one of them?
    Last edited by Kate; 06-09-08 at 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Put a light bar on it and I'm off.
    But you're a deputy, you can't give me a ticket!

Yea Ok, sign here and press hard there are 4 copies!

Kate is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDeputy View Post
    Put a light bar on it and I'm off.
    Nice!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'd drive it for sure.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey View Post
    How many of you would drive one them?
    I have no problem driving one of these. I paid the same for my 2005 Toyota corolla, and it gives me 22 mpg in the city and 29 hwy (despite the 28/35 claims on the sticker). Now, if I can operate this for just a few bucks a week, sign me up. We can do patrol in these, and leave the high speed pursuits to the Dodge Chargers, and prisoner transport to the "Bread Trucks"

I just saw on the news that by election day, gas prices here in NYC can be between 6 or 7 bucks a gallon. It will make more sense to take public transportation, but I hate crowded trains, and as it is, I dont know how the MTA is going to take on the additional 1.1 million (thats right million) riders if gas hits 8 dollars a gallon.

We need something that gives us freedom from Middle East oil. Lets start drilling here in ANWAR, and off the Florida Coast, build new refineries, and switch our largest cities over to nuclear power.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd be in one faster than you can blink, and I'd be borrowing use of my Dad's shop compressor instead of heading to the gas station. Talk about laughing all the way to the bank!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I understand that they are offering a bicycle pump as an emergency fuel option.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    I understand that they are offering a bicycle pump as an emergency fuel option.
    LMAO... and it comes with the trunk monkey as a safety option for daughters heading off to college!!! ~~> http://youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcG_pgp0Q

Kate is offline Corporal
    The cars are ugly as sin, but with gas prices the way they are and only likely to keep rising, I'd drive one of those cars in a heartbeat.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    it would be cool to drive around in just for the novelty of it... aside from the practical applications of running around town... much better range than my V8 =/
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The problem is in America here they would change it so you had to have special air or a special tool to fill it and they would just charge a ton for that to make up the difference.

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    LMAO... and it comes with the trunk monkey as a safety option for daughters heading off to college!!! ~~> http://youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcG_pgp0Q
    i love that trunk monkey! thanks god i dont have any daughters to have to worry about it.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

RoJo is offline Warrior Class
    The oil companies aren't going to like this. Next we'll see air being traded on the stock market.
    Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

Omar Bradley

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It would make a great commuter vehicle. I think I still need the big van for the family but I'm all about something cheap for commuting to work. Most of our gas goes into getting me to and from work.

Here's what I'm waiting for:

Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    It would make a great commuter vehicle. I think I still need the big van for the family but I'm all about something cheap for commuting to work. Most of our gas goes into getting me to and from work.

Here's what I'm waiting for:

Need to bring the family along? Try attaching this to the back and purchase a few helmets too.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJo View Post
    The oil companies aren't going to like this. Next we'll see air being traded on the stock market.
    Or this engineer/company owner suddenly dead.... Just a little suspicious...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    Need to bring the family along? Try attaching this to the back and purchase a few helmets too.
    I don't take my family to work. A really small, highly efficient vehicle for commuting is what I need. Most of our gas goes to getting me back and forth from work so if I can cut back on that we'll be able to afford the $8/gallon gas for the family van.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYBIRD33081 View Post
    The problem is in America here they would change it so you had to have special air or a special tool to fill it and they would just charge a ton for that to make up the difference.
    so true!!!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage