Welcome to the APBWeb.

China to begin Drilling for Oil off Florida

Don't know if this has been posted here yet. I posted this last week on LER

CHINA STARTS OIL DRILLING OFF FLORIDA

WHILE AMERICA TWIDDLES THUMBS, CHINESE TAP BILLIONS OF BARRELS

By Mike Blair

While Washington dithers over exploiting oil and gas reserves off the coast of Florida, China has seized the opportunity to gobble up these deposits, which run throughout Latin America, the Caribbean and along the U.S. Gulf coast.

The Chinese have forged a deal with Cuban leader Fidel Castro to explore and tap into massive oil reserves almost within sight of Key West, Florida. At the same time, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who controls the largest oil reserves in the Western Hemisphere, is making deals to sell his country’s oil to China, oil that is currently coming to the United States.

Meanwhile, a new left-wing populist regime in Bolivia has nationalized the natural gas industry, threatening to cut off supplies to the United States.

SLANT DRILLING

There are new reports out circulating that Chinese firms are planning to slant drill off the Cuban coast near the Florida Straits, tapping into U.S. oil reserves that are estimated at 4.6 billion to 9.3 billion barrels. This compares with 4 billion to 10 billion barrels believed to be beneath the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, where drilling is held up in Congress due to the objections of environmental groups which warn of endangering caribou. Permission to drill in the refuge, which experts are certain will not present any environmental hazard, has failed by just two votes in the Senate.

As Chinese business increases its reach around the world, it is seeking oil, which it lacks domestically.

After elections in Mexico in early July, when a new regime hostile to Washington is expected to take power, the United States might be without supplies of Mexican crude oil. The United States gets about 40 percent of its imported oil from Mexico and Venezuela.

China is eager to tap into oil reserves in the Florida Straits and then make a deal with Castro to control it. The Chinese have already reopened an abandoned Russian oil refinery in Cuba. Much of the gas refined there is believed to be destined for Freeport in the Bahamas, where the Chinese, through front company Hutchison-Whampoa, has developed a massive port facility and airfield.

With the refinery reopened and expanded it will also meet the needs of Castro.

Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) has introduced legislation to ease U.S. restrictions that prevent dealing with Cuba to drill in the Florida Straits. It is hoped that Florida regulations that prevent U.S. oil drilling off the state’s coasts could also be eased.

The irony is that Chinese drilling could be even more of an environmental hazard since China is not as concerned about or equipped to deal with any potential ecological disaster as a result of a spill, said Craig
    The shaft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle's own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.
    Aseop

Never Forget 9/11/01

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Sweet. maybe the Chinese will offer us our oil at a discounted price of say, 130 dollars a barrell...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I lived in the Keys for a very very long time. Back about 10-15 years ago American Oil Companies tried to drill offshore, the tree huggers came and protested, caused quite the ruckus and they were successful in stopping the oil drilling. Environmentalists claimed that the eco-system was too fragile and an oil spill would kill the reef. Now most all of US waters in the area are a Marine Sanctuary.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZeroheroes View Post
    SLANT DRILLING
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I agree with Ender. "SLANT drilling" in an article about oil-crazed Chinamen. Awesome.

I'm tired of hearing about oil. I paid $4.28 a gallon the other day.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information