Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

A Captain America Observation

That can't be an actually disaster taking place in the Midwest. I mean I know that region of the country has been hit hard by tornados and floods , but a disaster area? The pictures I'm seeing on the news on my T.V. just don't jive with what I know about disasters here in the Bayou State. I mean come on where is the looting. Hadn't seen any footage of that. I haven't seen anybody shooting at the police and other rescue workers. Hell this little town in Iowa even arranged a wedding for a National Guardsman who got called to duty sandbagging and had his weddings plans interrupted. What's wrong with these people in the Midwest. They are told to evacuate and they do. Get this , some do come back but not to loot or steal. They come back to help sandbag the areas around their city hall and of all places their police station. They come back to sandbag around their neighbor's house. Not their house, their neighbors' house. Unbelieveable. See here in Louisiana , our neighbors wouldn't have to worry about losing their valuables to flood waters because their stuff would have bee looted before they had a chance to get wet. What about the boy scouts in Iowa. They get clobbered by a tornado and tragically four of them are killed. Many of them are hurt. The little fellows break in to the tool sheds gathering ATVs and chainsaws and begin rescue operations for their fellow scouts. They set up their own triange. I'm thinking next time there is a disaster somewhere we should forget FEMA and send in the Boy Scouts instead. Here in Louisiana we would be breaking in also for emergency supplies like Rolexs, Cadilliacs, jewelry(can't have to many necklaces in a survival situation) guns ,TVs and of course beer & prescription medicine. I haven't seen one person from the Midwest on TV saying that it was the government's fault that the flooding and the tornados occurred. And what is wrong with your Governors? I haven't seen one of them on TV crying. Haven't you learned from former Governor Blanco of Louisiana how to demonstrated leadership in a crisis situation.? Just fall to pieces. So I guess the situation isn't that bad ,huh? No apparent disorganization? No finger pointing? Come on guys get with the program. The sad truth of the matter is we here in Louisiana had a chance to shine and our population blew it. Our leadership blew it. Those of you that are from the Midwest and know me know that I have always secretly admired the people of the Midwest for the strength , determination and values that they are demonstrating now. That part of the country has always been the heart and soul of this nation. This nation's can do spirit, it's pioneer spirit ,originates from that region. I might make jokes about cornfields and outhouses, but the Midwest is the United States of America. They are shining and surviving amidst tragedy just as the people of New York City did on September 11th, 2001. I only wish my home state would have gave a better showing in it's moment of adversity. I got a feeling we'll get another chance. All of that water has to flow somewhere. The mighty Mississippi might give us another opportunity to make complete asses of ourselfs.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Hang in there Cap. All you can do is try your best and hope you leave a positive impression on as many people as possible, right?

There definitely is something great about most people, in general, in the midwest. Though I'm not exactly living in an area right now that I want to be permanently, I can't imagine living in another region of the US. I love visiting family on the east coast and friends in Florida, but no where else has the feeling of "home."
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Whatever its flaws, the swamp does have an uncanny tendency to produce cops who write thought-provoking rants.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    I am sure there was plenty of goodness, plenty of heroics around your way in those troubled days following Katrina and the flooding, unfortunately they were drowned out by all the bad.

Shame, the way it all went down, you hit it right on the head though, poor leadership, everything came crumbling down starting with the top. Great post Captain America, Great Points!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Great post. Rep sent!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There is no doubt that a true face of the bayou state was shown to the world during our disaster. I was disappointed yet not surprised at the actions of some of the population. The factions of society that believe they can thumb their noses at society were ever at the ready. To know that persons were looking out for themselves at times when they should have been looking out for each other is the true disaster.
    The true heros were the few officers, fire fighters, emergency personnel and private citizens that stood their ground. Stood their ground not for other persons property but for priniciple. Disregarding race, creed, religious back ground and the like, waded into the "chocolate city" as the mayor so eloquently stated, and saved lives. Trading gunfire in the darkest parts of the city, with the visible demons on this earth until they ran out of ammo. They stood tall until they could stand no more.
    Louisiana could certainly take heed and learn from the lessons coming from the Midwest.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The true members of the New Orleans Police Departments , the ones that stayed when their city needed them the most, the ones that ran out of uniforms, bullets, food , payhecks, the ones who lost their homes, who didn't even have their familes to go home to at the end of shifts that didn't end because they evacuated and still stayed because they weren't going to surrender their city to Mother Nature or a bunch of heathens are my heroes. Anytime I think I have it bad I just remember what they did. That city and this state could never repay that kind of loyalty. Yeah 2 Blue 4 U there were plenty of heroics that took place but the media wasn't going to cover that with the rest of the circus that took place.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Take heart in knowing that the true heros needed no accolades. They are the ones that go quietly about their job doing the right thing.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Someday there needs to be a great movie made of all the tragedies, outrages, government bungling, incompetence and overt abuse of power, suffering, heroics, lack of planning, squandered money that could have gone to Corps projects to beef up the seawall, and chaos that rolled up into the "perfect storm".

It would have only taken some advanced planning, money, and leaders who were self-starters, for it to have been an orderly evacuation and mere property loss, or perhaps not even that if the corps had been allowed to build the seawalls and levees for a cat 5. It was all bound to happen sooner or later.

My only fear is that Michlel Moore will produce it.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

RoJo is offline Warrior Class
    I agree with what your saying and I see you point. Warrior's, Men and Wemen of Honor, Courge, and Dedication do not need a reason to do the right thing because it is already in them to do it. When you look around and find no good thing, look within, then look to those who are with you in the fight. Just know that what we do makes a difference and thats enough.
    Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

Omar Bradley

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Sorry about what was here before. I didnt take the time to read your complete thread and thought you were bashing us. lol Sorry!!!

God bless the Midwest!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Thread Information