Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Tipping

I was looking for something else, and tripped across a piece on tipping here.
    A couple of highlights:
    Hotel staff

There are a number of staff members at the hotel that can make your stay very pleasant or a living nightmare depending on how you tip them. Hereís who you should tip and how much to give them:

• Chambermaid - $5 per night you stay. That is, if you want clean sheets, towels and plenty of toilet roll.
    • Room service waiter - Again this is the standard 15%.
    • Bellhop - If you let the bellhop carry your bags up to your room and show you around said room without giving them a tip then youíre going to hell. Tip them around $10-15 for their efforts.
    The restaurant waiter/waitress

This is the one that causes most debate because there is no hard and fast rule. It is also made even more difficult by waiting staff who have lost sight of the fact that a tip is a gratuity and is not actually required. As a guideline though, Iíd say you can safely use the following without a disgruntled waiter spitting in your salad:

• Self-serve/Buffet restaurant - 10-12%. If the service was fantastic, you could up this to 15%.
    • Local restaurant - 15%. Again, you could up this by a few percent if the server worked particularly hard or went out of their way to help you.
    • A 4-star restaurant - Youíll want to tip the maitre dí as youíre being seated, particularly if youíre a regular and he/she goes out of their way to reserve you a table or get a table when the restaurant is busy. The standard tip here is anywhere from $20-100. For the service of the meal itself Iíd recommend a tip of around 20-22%. Donít forget to tip the wine steward (a few dollars per bottle of wine) and/or the coat check attendant ($1 for a couple of coats).
    There are some occasions where you feel unjustified to give out a tip, but let me tell you why you should.

• The food was terrible. If the food was terrible, then complain to the manager (you might get a discount on the bill) but donít take away the tip from the waiting staff because youíre punishing them for someone elseís mistake. Chances are they worked very hard for you and to not reward them would be unfavourable.
    • The service was below par. If the service was below par then you should tip at a lower rate than normal. Usually, Iíd speak to the waiter Iím tipping and politely explain the reasons for the lower tip. Just make sure youíve eaten all your food before you tell them!
    • You are a stingy and grumpy old man. So you donít want to tip. Why not? Youíre rewarding someone for doing good work. How would you feel if your boss decided to not give you the pay raise youíve been asking for or taking your bonus away from you just because he felt like it? As the old saying goes, ďTreat other people the way you expect to be treated yourself.Ē
    Now, I've worked as a waiter, janitor, and "night houseman" in a hotel. I've got some appreciation for the jobs involved... and the pay often involved.

But I'm sick of the proliferation of tip jars and people who expect to be tipped. A waiter, bartender, or other job where tipping is routine gets a token wage, and is supposed to earn their actual income through the money given in exchange for quality service. (I think this is kind of dumb, too... but that's actually another discussion, just commission sales.) So I tip them, according to the service received, and I don't penalize a waiter for kitchen mistakes; I know the difference between poor service and a kitchen screw up. And, in fact, I probably tend to tip pretty generously -- since I've been there myself!

But why the hell should I tip the idiot who pours my coffee at Starbucks or wherever? Especially since I take my coffee black, no shots, no steamed milk, just coffee! Since when was a hotel housekeeper a tipped position, unless they're doing something beyond the norm? I mean, if I'm in a hotel, and we make a huge mess or something -- yeah, I can see a tip there. But to just make up the bed, put out a new towel, etc? Why should I be tipping the guy at Subway for making my sandwich? They're getting the wages they agreed on, and I'll bet dollars to donut holes that they ain't reporting that tip income, like a waiter has to do.

Then there's the whole "added gratuity for large parties" issue. I understand why, especially with kids. And I even recall one group that was clearly an office party that worked me pretty hard, and barely tipped 10% after they haggled over who had what... But it's pretty insulting for a group of cops to get an automatic gratuity because there are 9 of us in the group... at a buffet! (Yeah, that server got the percentage added, and nothing more. Probably would have gotten more had they not done that...)

I'm just sick of all these tip jars showing up everywhere I go. Or maybe I need to add a tip jar to my cruiser?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The person I'm always very careful to tip generously is my tattoo artist. He's putting something on me that will be with me for the rest of my life, damn skippy I'm going to tip well.

Others, like buffet waiters, I tip but not beyond average. I don't tip maids at hotels because damn, that's their job and I don't trash the room. I don't often stay at hotels with bellhops, and don't utilize their services when I do. I do pass along kudos to management if I get great help from the staff, and I name names. Only time I've been tempted to tip a desk clerk was when he shut down and cleared out the hotel bar because the drunks in there were doing the "Hey BABY! WOOHOOO!" stuff to my best friend and I as we were walking through the lobby. He'd gone above and beyond for us that weekend in a number of things, and he got thanked personally as well as a word to the management. His wasn't a traditionally tipped position though.

So yeah, I'm rambling again and I'm going to shut up now.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I confess that I am sometimes an overly generous tipper, and my tips always reflect the level of service I've received. On the few occasions that I have not left tips for servers in restaurants it's been because of poor service, not the kitchen staff, and I've spoken to the manager to explain why and I have given a tip to the bus person (so if the servers have to share their tips, the bus person doesn't miss out because the server was terrible). I generally tip 18-22% in restaurants and 15-20% to other service workers (in salons, cabs, and hotels).

If a skycap checks my bags at the airport I tip $3 - $5 per bag. Same with bellhops, although I rarely use their services. Room service generally adds 15-18% gratuity on top of the service charge, so I don't add anything extra.

I once flashed a large bill and said (somewhat distressed ) "can you help me out?" once to a skycap at the airport and was able to get my baggage checked immediately instead of waiting in a horrifically long line. It was money well spent, I never would have made my flight and I was there 2 hours early.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    To
    Insure
    Prompt
    Service

If I get good prompt service no matter the situation I tip well. If I don't get said prompt good service I don't. Simple as that. If I am at a bar, which it has been over a year since that happened, I start with a $10 tip to the bartender. They remember me, serve me first, and get a $1 tip there after. This is only if I am going to make a night of it at this crowded bar. Now I prefer to stay at a house (particularly fond of backyard decks) and drink with people I know.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I am really surprised that the article failed to mention the profession of a newspaper carrier. If the carrier goes out of their way to ensure that the paper is delivered on time, where you want it and when you want it, then tip them. I regularly got $10.00 tips when the bill was due and easily cleared $200.00 at Christmas time. This is on a route with 240 subscribers. I also got a printout every time I got paid that showed who tipped, how much and who complained. It showed me who appreciated my efforts and who I needed to pay more attention to.

I never asked for tips, I just figured that if I provided good service the tips would come. Though not every customer tipped. Some wouldn't know what a tip was if it bit them in the backside. Those that did tip, generally tipped well.

To those who think the adults are taking the jobs away from the kids, you can thank your newspaper and your neighbors for that. Customers wanting their paper earlier and earlier so they can have a chance to read it or take it with them before going to work in the morning have driven the completion times up to 5:30 am in my area. Seriously, would you want your kid delivering papers at 3:00 or 4:00 am?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    I am really surprised that the article failed to mention the profession of a newspaper carrier. If the carrier goes out of their way to ensure that the paper is delivered on time, where you want it and when you want it, then tip them. I regularly got $10.00 tips when the bill was due and easily cleared $200.00 at Christmas time. This is on a route with 240 subscribers. I also got a printout every time I got paid that showed who tipped, how much and who complained. It showed me who appreciated my efforts and who I needed to pay more attention to.

I never asked for tips, I just figured that if I provided good service the tips would come. Though not every customer tipped. Some wouldn't know what a tip was if it bit them in the backside. Those that did tip, generally tipped well.

To those who think the adults are taking the jobs away from the kids, you can thank your newspaper and your neighbors for that. Customers wanting their paper earlier and earlier so they can have a chance to read it or take it with them before going to work in the morning have driven the completion times up to 5:30 am in my area. Seriously, would you want your kid delivering papers at 3:00 or 4:00 am?
    Good point. I do tip the paper carrier. (Did that, too, as a kid.)

There are lots of reasons it's moved away from a neighborhood kid walking the route, tossing the papers. One of the biggest hassles I had was collection... It'd easily consume several hours, several nights over the course of a couple of weeks, and I'm sure there were folks dodging me. (Should've canceled 'em quicker...) Some distributors would do collections for their carriers -- but most left it in our hands. I also just plain think there wasn't as much interest from kids, and that they probably tightened up some of the labor requirements, though I don't know. Honestly -- it's also cheaper for the distributor to have someone drive a route with a couple of hundred houses than several kids to walk the same route... The distributor doesn't have to get papers to 10 or 12 locations, just a couple and the carriers come and pick it up. (I suspect that the paper also bought out or otherwise eliminated some distributorships...)

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Our Baskin Robbins has a plastic cup on front counter with a hand written note that says *Tips*.....ummmmmmm you are just scooping up some ice cream and throwing it in a cup. How hard can that be and how in the hell can you screw that up?? I don't tip unless in a restaurant or someone noticably goes out of their way to make something right or better for me. I don't tip at Starbucks either. They have excellent customer service, but it should be that way everywhere. I am not going to tip for something that should already be a given.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Good point. I do tip the paper carrier. (Did that, too, as a kid.)

There are lots of reasons it's moved away from a neighborhood kid walking the route, tossing the papers. One of the biggest hassles I had was collection... It'd easily consume several hours, several nights over the course of a couple of weeks, and I'm sure there were folks dodging me. (Should've canceled 'em quicker...) Some distributors would do collections for their carriers -- but most left it in our hands. I also just plain think there wasn't as much interest from kids, and that they probably tightened up some of the labor requirements, though I don't know. Honestly -- it's also cheaper for the distributor to have someone drive a route with a couple of hundred houses than several kids to walk the same route... The distributor doesn't have to get papers to 10 or 12 locations, just a couple and the carriers come and pick it up. (I suspect that the paper also bought out or otherwise eliminated some distributorships...)
    Labor requirements are a slight issue here. Can't have anyone under 18 doing a route unless they are being supervised by an adult.

Thank God we went to 100% office pay back in 2003, meaning you either paid the bill through the mail, online or went downtown and paid it at the newspaper. I have had some routes, one in particular that if you didn't get out there knocking doors around the first of the month, you wern't getting paid. (Welfare recipients living on that route).

I would say that my paper has about a dozen or more locations that they deliver the papers to, but thats over a 100 mile area. The only carriers that get the paper delivered to their house are the rural ones who don't have as early a time limit to get the papers delivered to the customer.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    Our Baskin Robbins has a plastic cup on front counter with a hand written note that says *Tips*.....ummmmmmm you are just scooping up some ice cream and throwing it in a cup. How hard can that be and how in the hell can you screw that up?? I don't tip unless in a restaurant or someone noticably goes out of their way to make something right or better for me. I don't tip at Starbucks either. They have excellent customer service, but it should be that way everywhere. I am not going to tip for something that should already be a given.
    Baskin Robbins or Starbuck's not so much but Coldstone on the other hand, they'll sing for their tips.

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/

Not a LEO

LOL CTR ....personally I dont like their ice cream....but have witnessed that. My kids get a kick out of that!
    ~Karie

"I used to care

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    coldstone rocks!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    The buffet places with the "servers" who actually are just dudes who bring you drink refills drive me nuts...why don't they just put drink machines up and make that self-serve like the rest of the place? I am a notorious overtipper, but I have a hard time believing that I need to leave more than $1 to that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm glad this thread popped up.

Yesterday I was at a restaurant with 5 friends. The waitress came back to our table a little over 30 minutes after giving us our menus. She went to other nearby tables of people who were seated AFTER us and got their orders during this time, even though all of our menus were closed and placed on the end of the table.

Two of us asked for water refills, by flagging the waitress down....because she never came back after bringing our food. One other person never got her refill. Another person asked for a glass of "ice water" and the waitress brought him butter? It also took her over 20 minutes after we said we were done for her to bring us the tip. It should be pointed out that the place we were at was not particularly busy.

No tip.

I also always tip the person that cuts my hair.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quality service is rewarded highly by my wife and I. Yes somethings food is not perfect or their might be a screw up, but attitude and the willingness to make us happy gets tipped well!
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I will give a pretty good tip when i go out to eat so long as the waitress/ waiter aint a complete screw up. I never under tip if the food is messed up cuz it is not the waitress' fault. I usually tip a dollar per trip up to the bar, figure if i am going to the bar then that bartenders gonna get 25 bux outa me in just them tips.

Oh yes...I tip my hairdresser also! Gotta take care of her or she can really make my life horrid LOL
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Kate is offline Corporal
    I waitressed for many years (from New Jersey on down to North Carolina, from diners to fancy restaurants) and I was a damned good waitress. The money I made came from tips so I made sure everyone got excellent service.

Being a former waitress means I generally tip very well. I know the BS servers have to go through at times, and despite what some people think, being a waitress is NOT a walk in the park.

When I left my ex-h, I was working full time as a Nanny and going to school at nights to get my certification in Medical Billing & Coding. I also worked on the weekends as a waitress and I had one 30 minute break - 30 minutes AFTER my shift started. The rest of the day I was on my feet and it was non-stop. I busted my butt, but I made good money on the weekend morning shifts. I rarely saw my kids, but I sacrifices had to be made and bills had to be paid.

I have a favorite restaurant (Olive Garden) because it's reasonable and I have my own waiter. I won't sit in anyone else's section. If he's not there, I leave. He gets tipped well because he takes great care of whomever I'm there with (my kids or friends). I ask to use the ladies room, make my way to the back, and let Robert know I'm here and ask how long I have to wait. It's usually no more than 3 minutes, even if the place is packed.

If I'm at another restaurant and the service is horrible, they'll know it by the tip they receive, and I let the manager know and I don't undertip for mistakes made in the kitchen.

I also tip when I get a manicure, pedicure, eyebrow waxing, or if I get my hair cut or highlighted. I get great service from these people and I make sure they are tipped well.

As for DD, Starbucks, Subway, etc. - I never put a dime in the tip jars. I'd seriously think about tipping the lady at McDonald's who makes my sugar-free vanilla iced coffee w/ extra cream every morning, but I pay $2.11 everyday for that - and sometimes I get it 2-3 times a day.

As for the buffet, I leave a dollar. If they I'm cheap, oh, well! All the lady does is seat us and give us a soda or water. Hell, I can do that myself!

Verified LEO
    Damn, Jmur, if I didn't know you weren't there, I'd have thought you were talking about a recent dinner break we took after a range day...

Near empty restaurant, group of about 10, and they drop a trainee on the table with no support... Took more than an hour to get food -- AT A WING PLACE! Where many of us ordered the "special."

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    I always leave an appropriate stipend for the service(s) rendered by service people. If they have a "Tip Jar" and I wish to leave them something, I will tell them to keep the change and make them put it into the jar. I will not leave the tip in the jar.

That being said, there have been four occassions in this past year when I have refused to leave a gratuity for a service worker due to poor performance. I did, however, write a note to the owner/manager explaining my dispeasure with the employee and was pleased when each was no longer employed at that establishment.

There is no need for rudeness and I will not tolerate it: especially when my wife and I have been amiable and generous in the past.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    We have become a society that has lost sight of the intention of the tip. I am so tired of the ever-expanding list of those who "expect" a tip. It absolutely slayed me when I started to see tip jars on the ledge of Starbuck's Drive-thrus!!! A DRIVE-THROUGH?!?!?

At the end of a recent trip, I took the rental car company shuttle back to the airport. I had one large suitcase and a carry-on. The shuttle driver unloaded my large suitcase from the rack to the sidewalk; I gave him a couple bucks. He looked at what I gave him and actually put his hand out for more with a look of expectation on his face!! When I didn't reach into my wallet for more $, he sort-of grunted, shook his head, & returned to his shuttle. That just made me want to take back what I did give him, the knucklehead!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information