Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What do you think about O/R Auctions?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the auctions and I plan on trying to win an item.

33 64.71%
  • They are ok I may check them out.

8 15.69%
  • I have no intrest in them

8 15.69%
  • What Auctions?

2 3.92%
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

what do you think about O/R Auctions?

What do you think about O/R Auctions?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't mind them, although the only thing I would change is not putting them in the "new posts" page. I feel they fill a very specific niche of the site and that, for me at least, they are distracting to scroll through when I want to read through the normal topics.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I like the auctions because they're a good way to bring income to the site, and because some of the auction threads have taken on lives of their own and become amusing in their own right, kind of like game or joke threads. I know it's expensive to maintain a not-for-profit forum like this one--the only forum I was active on before I joined O/R died partly because it couldn't stay afloat financially, and I regret not having done anything to help keep it afloat, so I want to do everything I can to help support this forum. I actually have never participated in any kind of auction online or offline before--I hate shopping and try not to accumulate anything beyond what I absolutely need, and when I do need something I usually try to acquire it in the most efficient way possible. But I've been participating in this auction primarily because I really value this site and want to do whatever I can to make sure it has enough income to maintain its high quality, and also because some of the auction threads are fun.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I don't mind them, although the only thing I would change is not putting them in the "new posts" page. I feel they fill a very specific niche of the site and that, for me at least, they are distracting to scroll through when I want to read through the normal topics.
    unable to do that. The good news is that we are not going to have so many items all of the time. So I hope that helps!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Not only are they a great way of generating income for the site, but they're also a great way of either showing off a talent (auctioning something off that you made) or getting rid of that white elephant gift that you got as a wedding gift and have no use for. Don't want to keep it and don't know what to do with it? Auction it off and let O/R benefit!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I have to admit I was skeptical at first. Mack has done an outstanding job handling this, and it's gone over very well.

I'm all for it. It's good for the members and good for the site. How can you argue with that?

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    I don't have any interest in them, but I'm one of those people who only visits ebay, amazon, etc if there's something in particular I'm looking for. I don't browse for the sake of browsing.

I'm the same way when it comes to retail shopping - I don't go to a store unless I'm going for a particular item, which makes it a hellish event if I get dragged shopping by one of the female species.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I think it is a great idea and I support it one hundred percent. I hope there is more in the future as I have come up with some other stuff to auction off. Like possibly an ASP, a tac holster. tac vest you stuff that I cold give away or sell but I'll just donate it here.

I'll also say that Mack has done an outstanding job.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I think the auction is a great and unique idea for generating revenue for the site. Mack has done an excellent job.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I think it is great! Mack has done awesome with it all! WTG! I am glad so many are enjoying it. I know it isn't for all......but definitely bringing in more money than I expected lol YAY!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Mack and KC have done a great job, and it's been interesting to see the variety of items up for sale.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I have enjoyed the back and forth joking and playing involved in it all. Plus the fact that there has been some interesting stuff going on in there like the mystery item. I'd love to see something like that come up every week.

Thanks all, I've enjoyed working on this project I couldn't have pulled it all together without the great donations sent to me, and I'll keep it up as long as you want the auction to continue. I'll continue accepting donations, just keep sending me the info and we can continue the fun

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I have a suggestion for the next auction--I think there might be even more bids if the donor of each item is listed with the item (if it's okay with the donor), along with any interesting stories and histories that go along with the item (especially if it's something that might have sentimental, historical, and/or regional significance). This would also provide fodder for fun discussions in the threads, which are amusing for their own sake but also good for keeping the threads in the "new post" list so they get a wider audience, and for winning over members who might otherwise find the auctions boring.

In the last auction the items that had interesting stories behind them and/or were identified as coming from particular members were more likely to get lots of responses, both in terms of thread repartee and actual bids, than items that didn't come with stories or identified donors. I'm sure the great interest in Buttercup's basket o' treats, for instance, was due primarily to her reputation both as a culinary genius and as an enthusiastic overachiever likely to deliver a basket worth every penny of the bid even if she had to burn down her kitchen to do it.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I don't have any interest in them, but I'm one of those people who only visits ebay, amazon, etc if there's something in particular I'm looking for. I don't browse for the sake of browsing.

I'm the same way when it comes to retail shopping - I don't go to a store unless I'm going for a particular item, which makes it a hellish event if I get dragged shopping by one of the female species.
    I'm in the same boat as you.

If they work for the site, by all means. I like navigating from the front page easily, and that does disturb things. The full forum access on OR is slightly cumbersome as it is (by cumbersome I mean it takes about 10 more seconds and 2 more clicks than 'other' forums), so all in all it ain't a big deal.

And you never know, I might find something that catches my eye....so again, if they do good for the site, I don't mind them at all.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I like them... I'm just sorry I haven't had a lot of time to find something to contribute and send Mack the photos, but I just thought of something today.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    The auctions are a good deal. Suggeet a percentage (10%??) go to NLEOMF or similar org that cares for families of LOD death officers.

Individual litems can be pre identified for higher %, this higher bids to a police survivor fund.

One person doing this can be an overload, suggest a committee/group and rotate the lead person.

my 02
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    One person doing this can be an overload, suggest a committee/group and rotate the lead person.

my 02
    Yes, more then one person working on this is a good idea. I know Mack and KC did a lot of the coordination for this first auction, but they shouldn't be stuck doing all the work.

I know they tried to schedule a meet in chat in the Supporting Members Group - maybe we can try for that again?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    ok with me.

Thread Information