Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are You Ready?

Dustoff262 is online now Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO

Are You Ready?

Are you ready for the next emergency?

There are wild fires in CA raging. Floods in the Midwest. 7 yrs ago, Terrorism in NYC, PA, DC.

Have we forgotten our families? Can you go to work and not worry about if your family has plenty of water and food? Can you seriously serve the public and yet, your own are underserved?

I pose these questions to get Law Enforcement, and our civilian supporters to start seriously thinking again about maintaining an emergency supply cache.

I have two extra large rubbermaid bins that I keep items needed in the event of an emergency.

I have a dozen D cell batteries and a dozen C cell batteries for radios and a flashlights. I have flashlights, ponchos, a first aid bag capable of treating a platoon if need be. A case of 24 bottles of 16 oz. water. Canned foods, dry foods, and other items that have a long shelf life. Can opener, 2 K-Bars, 3 multi tools, Two Way radios, small black and white TV, Toiletries, tissue paper, plastic bags, a box of hand warmers, sterno cans, waterproof matches. Over the counter medicines for colds, headaches, body aches. Extra under wear, socks in a vacuum sealed bag for each member of my family (3). I also have respirator masks and filters, the kind one uses for asbestos removal.

These are a few of the items i have in the event of a disaster, and if I am called away for an extended period of time, it is one thing that I know my family has fresh water, food, and other things to keep them going till I return.

I hope this has planted a seed in your mind that you can never wait till the last minute to think about your family's comfort and security in the event of a disaster. The time is now, when all is well, that you should have a small stock pile of supplies. While everyone else is losing hope and security, your loved ones can hold out a lil bit longer, and make it to the next day.

I bet if we pool our ideas and lists together, we can come up with a substantial cache of items that can benefit everyone.

What does your supply cache consist of?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Excellent idea and an Excellent thread!!

I'm going to use this thread to make my own kit.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    K-Bars, 3 multi tools, Two Way radios,
    What are those for?

I have some stuff, such as toiletries and dried and canned foods, just sitting around because I bought them in bulk the last time they were on sale. Don't really have stuff just for emergencies, though. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to putting an emergency kit together, but it's not a priority given how unlikely an actual emergency is. Also I figure in a total breakdown of law and order all my stuff would be abandoned as I try to evacuate, and/or taken from me by force if the wolves in the neighborhood get desperate, so the likelihood of my actually getting to use any of my supplies for more than a few days is pretty low. That's just how a sheep thinks.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Dustoff,I dont have 2 bins of stuff,I have a full 1/4 of my garage,most of the stuff you listed is right on,the small t.v. will be history once the change is made in Feb,09I have one that I bought 20 years ago,a/c d/c,battery etc.Have used it many times in emergencys,(as well as a detail or 2).I would also say,instead of Sterno,invest in a 2 burner Coleman camp stove,it runs on the cannisters of propane(about 3 bucks each) and last a very long time,heck I have gotten to where I use mine all the time on the patio when grilling or just cooking something that you dont want to heat up the house.The stove usually costs under $25,at Wally world,and is flat when closed and stores easily.

For homeowners I would STRONGLY reccomend a generator,you can usually find a 3000 watt for around $300,(I have 2),after Katrina I was out of power for 28 days,even though I live 100 yards from a major power grid and a 1/2 mile in either direction of 2 power sub-stations,but since I have direct t.v. ,as soon as I cranked up ,I had t.v. and was back in touch with the outside world,even though I had a tree on my roof covering the dish.
    ]

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Every year Florida puts out Hurricane Preparedness pamphlets with lists of items necessary to survive in case of a catastrophic hurricane. I am going to Florida in 2 weeks, if anyone wants me to bring them back a pamphlet PM me and I will pick them up for you. At the very least, I will get one and post it here. I will have my laptop with me so I can post it as soon as I get there.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    It is also good to discuss plans if something happens and you or your loved ones are away from home. Keep in mind phones may not be working, cell circuits get overloaded, so you may not be able to reach each other. Know where each will go if they can not make it home.

Don't forget about your pets, have a cage or carrier readily accessible in case of evacuation.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What are those for?

I have some stuff, such as toiletries and dried and canned foods, just sitting around because I bought them in bulk the last time they were on sale. Don't really have stuff just for emergencies, though. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to putting an emergency kit together, but it's not a priority given how unlikely an actual emergency is. Also I figure in a total breakdown of law and order all my stuff would be abandoned as I try to evacuate, and/or taken from me by force if the wolves in the neighborhood get desperate, so the likelihood of my actually getting to use any of my supplies for more than a few days is pretty low. That's just how a sheep thinks.

The K-Bars are sharp utility knives that most Marines and Soldiers are very familiar with. Its a great tool to have. The Multi tools are usually the gerber tools that we carry on patrol. Its like a swiss army knife, and add a set a pliers to it. Two Way radios so that if you have two cars, and the cell phones arent working, you can still communicate point to point if you get seperated.

"Given how unlikely an actual emergency is" - Emergencies are unplanned, unforseen and usually sudden and drastic. It can be anything at all. It can be an earthquake where you least expect it.

This is just something for LEOs to consider for their families, because when the brown stuff hits the fan, we are called away from our homes for extended periods of time. We wont have time to run to the store for anything... especially since thousands of people will panic and devour everything in sight. You might not be able to evacuate. You may have to shelter in place. And LEOs will remain behind, and families are usually reluctant to leave without their LEO loved ones.

What if there is a dirty bomb? They evacuate everyone in a 20 mile radius as a precaution, and shelter people a long way off from their neighborhoods. Could you see the Red Cross and Salvation Army supplying food to thousands indefinetely? Dont count on the Govt to do much either. They are slower than molasses in reaching people that need supplies and shelter. There is complete chaos!

"Cats and dogs, living together .. Mass Hysteria!!"- Bill Murray.

Well.. its just a thought to toss out there for you guys. The bigger your family, the more pressing your needs can be when you least expect it.

The Generators and propane stove are an excellent addition. Im going to go out and price them this weekend. Maybe I will get a good deal. Thanks Mavriktu!!!

I found this link if its helpful to anyone. http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/supplykit.shtm
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    It is also good to discuss plans if something happens and you or your loved ones are away from home. Keep in mind phones may not be working, cell circuits get overloaded, so you may not be able to reach each other. Know where each will go if they can not make it home.

Don't forget about your pets, have a cage or carrier readily accessible in case of evacuation.
    Great additions Blue!!!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not listing my supplies on the public side of the forums, but I can take care of my family for 21 days without outside assistance.

I also live far enough out (way out) that civil breakdown is less likely.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Well, I thought this would be a great way to start trading ideas and sharing a good find that could be useful to other members. 21 day supply cache is excellent. Unfortunately, in an apartment in NYC, I would have to use up the dining room and main hallway to keep those goods. The Mrs wouldnt be too happy about that. LMAO.

MREs (meals ready to eat) are great to have in your supply cache. Just stay away from the chicken lo mein, or turkey diced with meat. When those first came out (around 1985), everyone that ate those had the shnits within hours. LOL.. not a pretty sight. Personally I preferred the C-rations.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    One of the biggest issues we've had with the wildfires in 2003 and 2007, where all the folks with horse that were never trailer trained, and whose owners didn't even have a trailer for evacs.

Luckily, there were lots of folks who volunteered, and places for them to go, but if the horse has never stepped foot in a trailer, it's nearly impossible to confince them it's a good idea.

From my own experience during my evacuation - keep all your important papers together, so they are easy to grab. Same with all your photos/albums.

I had one big crate that all the dogs fit into, but no room for my kitties.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like its time to get a crate for all the kitties and hope they all get along. Sometimes cats have their own agenda.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

213th is offline Solipsist
    What I have
    I have 4 ammo cans that I recently acquired to start filling with stuff. So far I have a leatherman, k-bar, sidearm and coach style shotgun. Map compass, local atlas for alaska, flares (great for marking an area or starting a fire) handheld and mobile ham radio. 6 cell maglight, surefire g2, combo flood/led handheld light. 5 extra gas tanks. I have an entire cold weather bag issued to me, which I believe I get to keep the contents of. Top quality stuff, the "medium" weight stuff keeps me warm at -50 so I figured the extreme gear is over kill but I keep it anyway.

What I need/want badly
    Handheld GPS
    minimum one case MRE's
    minimum one case water
    atleast a water filter kit preferably with the tablets as well
    extra ammo, preferably min of 500 for the sidearm, 250 for shotgun
    First aid kit (i have a killer one with 02 as well, but have to turn that in when i leave the FD)
    arial flare gun
    folding hand saw
    trench tool
    hatchet/axe
    I'm sure there is more I'll think of later.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Here's another thing.

I helped my friends move to Idaho after they retired...as LDS members, and in preparation for Y2K, they had some serious supplies laid up for 2000.

They moved in 2004, and most of their supplies were out of code (for the edibles/perishables) and had to be thrown out.

Once you set up your kit, there are some things you should rotate out on a regular basis. Batteries and food come to mind.

Just like you should change the batteries in your smoke detector when you change the clocks for Daylight Savings - rotate your emergency kit stock to keep it fresh.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    PDawg:
    Just like you should change the batteries in your smoke detector when you change the clocks for Daylight Savings - rotate your emergency kit stock to keep it fresh.

Great tips.

213th;

folding hand saw
    trench tool
    hatchet/axe

Thanks for the reminder. Have to add that to my list as well.

I also want a minimum 1 year supply of dry goods, ie beans, rice, oatmeal, anything that keeps well in sealed containers in dry cool enviorments

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Hell ya I'm ready been ready for many years. I have a well two generators wood heat, wood cook stove. I have "trained" my wife to take care of things if I am away. To me I just can't fathom folks not being prepared but I saw it. When Katrina hit my sister and BIL live in NOLA and they were not prepared at all despite the warnings. They went to Baton Rouge then here and stayed with us for three months which was just fine. My BIL said he was going to get a genny, well he still doesn't have one. More interested in how his 250 yo house looks.

Mre's I can tell you a story about them also but I'll save It.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Hell ya I'm ready been ready for many years. I have a well two generators wood heat, wood cook stove. I have "trained" my wife to take care of things if I am away. To me I just can't fathom folks not being prepared but I saw it. When Katrina hit my sister and BIL live in NOLA and they were not prepared at all despite the warnings. They went to Baton Rouge then here and stayed with us for three months which was just fine. My BIL said he was going to get a genny, well he still doesn't have one. More interested in how his 250 yo house looks.

Mre's I can tell you a story about them also but I'll save It.
    MRE's, either meals ready to exit or meals refusing to exit. The heaters can be entertaining

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also have alot of the stuff listed. I have a rifle, ammo, also just for hunting. That way we can get food of our own. We are out in the boonies so we will be on our own if anything happens. I also have an R.V. trailer if we need to get out we can quickly load the supplies and the critters and hit the road. Look what is going on with these wildfires in my area. Only half of them are currently manned. There aren't enough people for the other ones and they are pulling resources here to save the more populated areas.

Verified LEO
    Today, Southern California had a 5.8 earth quake, with numerous aftershocks. My thoughts go out to the LEOs who will be working long hours in the days to come. Gas lines are interrupted, as well as water mains. This is a perfect example why you need a food/water supply reserve. These curve balls that mother nature can throw, are fast and nasty. Good Luck LAPD, Sherrifs and the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information