Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Kids!.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So, I'm going to work this morning, and I hear a report of a possible 10-55, Drunk driver / reckless driver on HiWay Such and Such. The plate is broadcast, and guess what? The car comes back registered to ME! That's right, it's my 17-year-old daughter! This was about 8:30 am and she was supposed to be to school at 8:00am. I called the school and and she missed first hour, but was in class for second hour. So, she's late for school, driving like a fool and was about 10 miles out of the route to her school. Now, I know what I plan on doing, and she isn't gonna be happy. Her use of the car is GONE! Plus, I have another deputy that's about 6'5", 280 pounds coming to talk to her in the morning and try to put the fear of God into her. What would you guys do?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    Sounds as if you have it covered about taking her driving privelages away until she can prove she is more responsible. Hopefully your friend can put the fear of god into her about her driving. As in this state the owner of the car can be sued and you my friend have a lot to loose. Good luck!
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

FishTail Guest
    My (cop) friend's stepson (12) stole a motorbike once from a neighbour. No real big deal as they weren't bothered but a theft is a theft. So he had me call round at the house and hook the stepson up for theft and take him to jail. He'd called ahead and cleared things with the jail supervisor first. So we let the kid sit in jail for a few hours before we hauled him out and "documented" him for his "criminal record". He now knows how unpleasant jail is and thinks he has "previous" so it'll be harsher next time.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Man, I'm scared to have kids

MissConduct is offline Naughty and Nice
    Teenage years!! I really feel sorry for ya! This is a tough situation to deal with..... You seem to have a good handle on your choice of discipline. I think spending a few hours in jail would be a good idea...Your daughter will probably hate you for it...temporarily...Tough Love... I agree to taking her use of your vehicle and driving priviledges away until she learns be more responsible. Only a few more years until I will be in that the same boat..

Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?????

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    I think you are doing the right thing as well.

I think cop kids are like preachers kids, huh?
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    You're the MEANEST Daddy in the whole world!!!

(Just getting you primed for what you're going to hear when you confront her.)

She'll understand someday. Probably not until she has kids of her own and they reach the same age, but she eventually will understand.

Stick to your guns, Dad. Good luck.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I vote for a night in jail

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MountainCop Guest
    You're doing the right thing. Putting the fear of God into her is a wise move.

And I'm SOOOO glad I found out I don't breed well in captivity!

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    So, I'm going to work this morning, and I hear a report of a possible 10-55, Drunk driver / reckless driver on HiWay Such and Such. The plate is broadcast, and guess what? The car comes back registered to ME! That's right, it's my 17-year-old daughter! This was about 8:30 am and she was supposed to be to school at 8:00am. I called the school and and she missed first hour, but was in class for second hour. So, she's late for school, driving like a fool and was about 10 miles out of the route to her school. Now, I know what I plan on doing, and she isn't gonna be happy. Her use of the car is GONE! Plus, I have another deputy that's about 6'5", 280 pounds coming to talk to her in the morning and try to put the fear of God into her. What would you guys do?
    I you and I are on the same wave length...

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Had it been me doing that, and my mom or dad caught me.. I'd have my ass beat, end of story. And I wouldn't be driving anymore until I am 30.

What your doing sounds like a good enough plan though.

Cris1102 Guest
    I don't know....I think making a 17 year old girl sit in jail is a little rough. Especially if it is her first time doing something like that. I think you are on the right track taking her driving priviledges away and having another officer come to talk to her.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Do you own a wood shed?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So, after a night of yelling and screaming,(her, not me,) she finally realized that I own the car, I pay the insurance, and she's not driving it! I took her to school this morning and it was a pretty quiet ride. I asked her what time she wanted to be picked up, and she said she'd rather walk! I told her to have a nice walk, as it's about 5 miles across the city, and it's cold and raining outside!The Deputy did a good job of telling her everything I've said in the past, but maybe hearing it from a different person will have some effect on her. I was actually pretty calm about it, but my wife was another story! Thanks for the support and advice.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Teenagers are da debil!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    So, after a night of yelling and screaming,(her, not me,) she finally realized that I own the car, I pay the insurance, and she's not driving it! I took her to school this morning and it was a pretty quiet ride. I asked her what time she wanted to be picked up, and she said she'd rather walk! I told her to have a nice walk, as it's about 5 miles across the city, and it's cold and raining outside!The Deputy did a good job of telling her everything I've said in the past, but maybe hearing it from a different person will have some effect on her. I was actually pretty calm about it, but my wife was another story! Thanks for the support and advice.
    Don't they have school buses?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No busses for the city kids. It's only about 5 miles from one end of the city to the other. Besides that, maybe she can mooch off of all the friends she's been carting around!

Winston Churchill

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    did i miss something? was she actually drunk? otherwise, why would anyone think that putting her in jail would be a good solution? being an irresponsible teenager is not an arrestable offense in MD. neither is reckless driving. so, i say do what your doing. take her car, revoke her driving priveledges, cut up her damn license if you deem it necessary, but i dont think letting her sit in a jail cell is gonna do any good here. she didnt even commit a crime...if im reading it right.

on a side note, that must have been a real kick in the nuts when you heard the tag come out on the radio, registered to you. lol. i know its not funny, but its like something youd see in a movie. dont mean to make light, its just a crazy situation.

good luck with that

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    tapout, she wasn't drunk, just foolish. As far as finding humor in the situation, I've provided a great deal to the staff that work under me! I've been getting crap about it all day, and as long as I give it out, I better be willing to take it.

Winston Churchill

Cheech Guest
    If I were the parent being in jail would be alot better than what I would do. Thats why I wont have kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information