Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Need a little help..

Just finished painting the kitchen an off white satin and now I'm gonna paint the cabinets but can't decide what color and what brand of paint to go with. I've been thinking about maybe an ultra pale green, pale yellow, light almond or white. I used Valspar on the kitchen but not too well satisfied with it. Also, what would be the best to use, gloss or semi gloss?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd go for gloss, but in a color other than white. I've got white cabinets and they're a pain to try and keep clean, and even after they've been scrubbed, they don't ever LOOK clean. I'd go for a light almond.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Semi-gloss and Benjamin Moore is what has been recommended to me by several pro painters.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    What made you unhappy with Valspar?

I just picked up a couple test quarts to paint my son's room, so if there are issues I can still switch.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I used Ralph Lauren semi-gloss for my kitchen & I love it! I'd vote for the green, but I don't know what appliances you have or what your visually adjacent room(s) colors are....
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    What made you unhappy with Valspar?

I just picked up a couple test quarts to paint my son's room, so if there are issues I can still switch.
    I had to use 2 coats and in some places 3 for a good cover and at almost 27 bucks a gallon it seems that one coat should have been sufficient. You may have better results with it, it all depends on what color you're painting over
    I've heard that benjamin moore is a good paint but never used it. I might give it a try.
    In one of the country home mags it showed a Pic of a kitchen where the cabinets were painted a pale green and the kitchen done in a pale yellow and it looked pretty nice.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    I had to use 2 coats and in some places 3 for a good cover and at almost 27 bucks a gallon it seems that one coat should have been sufficient. You may have better results with it, it all depends on what color you're painting over
    I've heard that benjamin moore is a good paint but never used it. I might give it a try.
    In one of the country home mags it showed a Pic of a kitchen where the cabinets were painted a pale green and the kitchen done in a pale yellow and it looked pretty nice.
    Depending upon the surface of your cabinets, you probably won't have the same experience as your walls. I've found that it is always worth it to use a primer - costs less and you'll use less of the actual paint, too.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "Ultra pale green, pale yellow, light almond or white."

All I can say is that someone needs to turn in their Man Card!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Drywall you pretty much can plan on priming... no matter how many times it's been painted before.

For the cabinets, how are they finished now? I would expect that you probably need to prep them at a minimum by a very thorough cleaning, and possibly (if high gloss, or some of the laminate veneers) even by light sanding. I'd probably at least consider a sealing primer if there's a fair amount of grease/grime build up, even if you think you can scrub it off. Nothing'll make the paint job look bad like a bit of grease or something else keeping it from really adhering.

You might want to literally take something like a cabinet door into the store with you, and get the advice of the store staff. Home Depot & Lowes are kind of 50/50 on whether you'll get someone knowledgeable, but if you go to an actual paint store, they'll probably be able to answer your question better.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    Depending upon the surface of your cabinets, you probably won't have the same experience as your walls. I've found that it is always worth it to use a primer - costs less and you'll use less of the actual paint, too.
    Good tip!! I'll do that...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    "Ultra pale green, pale yellow, light almond or white."

All I can say is that someone needs to turn in their Man Card!
    I earned my man card during 2 wars and have every intention of keeping it, whether I go with baby cheek pink or sweet baby blue.

Thread Information