Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

Thinking of doing my time...

So it's been gnawing at me to join the military for a while now. I tried to ignore it for a while but I guess I've reached a point where I have to at least check it out.

I'm thinking Army or Marines right now. I already have my degree so I'll try to go in as an officer.

Of course along with all this the girlfriend and the mom freaked out. Let the games begin!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    If you have a degree, I definatly say go officer. I'm partial to the Marine Corps, so there is my recommendation.

I just spoke to the Marine recruiter in New York. Part of the challenge is that I am over here in Europe but she said she had processed several applicants from over here. It was good to talk to someone with some enthusiasm. I spoke to the Coast Guard recruiter and he didn't seem to give two shits if I called back or not..
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If you're cool with living without creature comforts, the Marine Corps is a great place to be because of the motivation and professionalism. The other services are fine, and have better facilities and equipment, but less pride. Hard decision to make, but good luck with whatever you decide on

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    MisterK, if you want the military go for it! Not many folks want the military anymore, but what the silly shits do not realize is that the freedom they have is due to people like you who serve in the military. It does not matter what branch you go into as they are all fighting for a common goal. The Marines do have more disapline than others but the Navy sticks to a lot of tradition from the past. I'm not plugging for any branch of the service. Join the one that will give you what you ask for. Be sure your contract list all the things you want and guarentees it in writing.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 26Trainer
    Be sure your contract list all the things you want and guarentees it in writing.
    Writing is the key word, I've had a lot of friends get majorly screwed by promises from recruiters.

Verified LEO
    +1 on all of that. If it isn't in the contract, your not going to get it. Make SURE you get everything you are promised, put on paper, in the contract.

I'll have pleanty of time to go through everything. The next OCC class is in January of '07.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Verified LEO
    Actually, something just came to mind. Are you going to do it active or reserve? If you go reserve, you can try and shoot for the L.E. career while still serving.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Doesn't the officer route require active service?

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Doesn't the officer route require active service?
    Actually, no. You are in the Army Reserve for 4 years on active duty. Then you put in for a transfer to the Regular Army.

And as for service and branch - I say Army (but no biggie), but definitely go into the Intelligence branch. Well worth the hassle. You get to do some really neat shit!

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    You speak any other languages?

AFOSI dude!

I've got a major in German
    Theodore Roosevelt

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO

Thread Information