Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Do you feel comfortable when public speaking?

Do you feel comfortable speaking before a large audience or when you walk into a crowded room full of strangers? How do you start off and what do you say to break the ice?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Crowded room of strangers, no.

Speaking in front of a group about a topic that I'm knowledgeable of, yes.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Retmilleo909 View Post
    Do you feel comfortable speaking before a large audience or when you walk into a crowded room full of strangers? How do you start off and what do you say to break the ice?
    I'm much better than I used to be. I don't like big crowds, and I don't like speaking in front of a large crowd of strangers.

My line to break the ice. "How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice."

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    I'm not real comfortable in it but I do it. Have you been to a general instructor school?

I start off with an introduction of myself. After that I try to break the ice with maybe a joke or something witty pertaining to the subject. If that doesn't work then make fun of the ugliest person in the class.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I guess because in my position I've had to deal with large crowds of inmates on numerous occasions, when I get into a crowd where no one wants me dead, I don't get too upset!

When I train, I do a short intro, tell a little about myself, and try to inject a little humor.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Crowded room of strangers, no.

Speaking in front of a group about a topic that I'm knowledgeable of, yes.
    What if you're called on to talk on a subject you're not too familiar with, or when the preacher calls on you unexpectedly to offer the opening prayer?

"How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice."

Very good!! start off with an interesting question about polar bears, who know how to break the ice.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Normally, I just whip out my cock and start waving it around. However, PETA filed a complaint. Apparantly, swinging a rooster around by its feet is "cruel", so now I just say, "Hi".
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Normally, I just whip out my cock and start waving it around.
    They do say laughter is good for the soul. Apparently it's also a good way to break the ice too for some.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I did classroom computer training for a year. When I started I was absolutely TERRIFIED of public speaking. I had some wonderful coworkers...

Nowadays, I'd rather speak in front of 50 strangers than speak in front of my peers. In front of my peers I show my nervousness. In front of strangers I'm very "take charge, I know this shit!" attitude.

When I did the classroom shit, I always started off with a quick intro about myself, and then ask each audience member to introduce themselves, tell me what they do, and tell me what their favorite movie is. Commenting on the movie, which I could do probably 75% of the time, relaxed me and them. Someone would inevitably say 'Gone With the Wind," and I'd say...

"ah...made in 1939, starring yadda yadda yadda, etc etc etc." Then I'd say..."i know you think I"m weird for knowing that, but I had to take a class in college on movies, and it was on movies made in 1939..."
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Someone would inevitably say 'Gone With the Wind," and I'd say...

"ah...made in 1939, starring yadda yadda yadda, etc etc etc." Then I'd say..."i know you think I"m weird for knowing that, but I had to take a class in college on movies, and it was on movies made in 1939..."
    And they say, "ahh, okay, our trainer is gay, cool."

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    And they say, "ahh, okay, our trainer is gay, cool."
    Back then I thought $22/hr was GOOD money. They could say whatever the fuck they wanted to about me...I didn't care...I was all about the $$$, and would have stood in front of a crowd half nekkid for it.

Its funny...I think I talk funny and have a weird voice, which didn't help with the whole public speaking thing...apparently whatever I did worked, because I got consistently good reviews and such
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What if you're called on to talk on a subject you're not too familiar with, or when the preacher calls on you unexpectedly to offer the opening prayer?
    If I wasn't 100% confident in my knowledge of the subject, I'd tell the audience "Listen, I don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about this, but I'm going to do my best. If you have any questions I can't answer, I'll do my best to get an answer and get back to you."

And I am Christian, I go to church, but for whatever reason I HATE praying aloud in front of people. I would pass.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Unfamiliar subject? fuggetaboutit.

Opening or Closing prayer? Sure

Talks and Testimonies? Sure, depending on what the subject is about.

Giving a lesson in Sunday School or other meetings? Not unless I really know the subject at hand.

I am generally a fairly shy person until you get to know me. I have a hard enough time trying to get over the willies when speaking to people that I don't know. Unless it is a subject I really know a lot about.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    or when you walk into a crowded room full of strangers?

One thing that I thought of when I read this, I've been to social gatherings, partys, whatever, and I'll show up and maybe know....2,3,4,5, whatever people out of, let's say 30.

And the few close friends I have, tell EVERYONE there what I do for a living, which pisses me off. And on top of that, they start trying to pull stories from work out of me, in front of a bunch of people I've never met. I don't trust those people. And on top of that, I don't know if in this crowd there are defense attorney's, my chiefs cousin's nephew's sister's husband, or whoever. And then people get pissed when I don't want to tell them about the crackhead we chased down and fought, or whatever. Lord that makes me me.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Believe it or not I am very shy in person, I know your laughing, but it is true. I decided to try to overcome it by going to instructor school where I had to get up in front of a group and speak off the cuff on a topic assigned to me a minute before I spoke on it. After a week of this I was much more comfortable speaking in front of people. Hasn't cured my shyness, but I can speak in front of a crowd without stuttering or saying ummmm, ahhhhhh, and ya know. We also worked on ice breakers, I now have quite a collection of them

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I'm a real ham. I should have gone into stand-up comedy!

For the first few seconds I might be uncomfortable but after that I'm fine. I normally just be myself, be funny and go from there. People respond better to someone that is acting human rather a robot talking to them. I actually enjoy public speaking when it's something I know what I'm talking about.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    IN a group of strangers not knowing any one or with a meeting with our business community......yes a bit nervous at first

IN a classroom/training setting of peers where we have to do the intro "meet N greet" thing...yes

The largest groups I have had to speak to are approx 200...shall we say it was a "captive" audience....(inmates)......I knew my subject material.... I am OK....I always dread it....but once there am OK....

Usually once I begin to talk...I cant stop...

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I'm a real ham. I should have gone into stand-up comedy!
    Hmm, I like ham and lamb.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information