Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: 51 year career

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

51 year career

SAN ANTONIO OFFICER ENDS 51 YEAR CAREER

On his last morning as a police officer, Sgt. Alfred Trinidad reigned as the most senior cop and city employee in San Antonio's history.

And still he didn't want to quit.

"It's hard for me to accept this. I'm having a good time," said Trinidad, 72, his eyes wistful at his decision finally to retire. "I don't like it, but the family's been pressuring me."

Such an attitude was no surprise to some of his close friends and apprentices, including those who packed a room Thursday at 6 a.m. in the city's central police substation with awards and cake to celebrate the sergeant's dedication to public service. In nearly 51 years of fighting crime in the Alamo City, Trinidad never really changed his approach to policing.

Some call it a classic style of immersion in the streets, and most deem it extraordinary.

"He has a very down-to-earth approach," said Police Chief William McManus, who spoke at the gathering, "and it's very clear that he respected those people with whom he came into contact, and they respected him as well."

McManus added, "Hopefully, people that he mentored saw that."

Already an architectural draftsman in 1957, Trinidad sought a job with the Police Department to support his brother, who dreamed of becoming a cop but didn't make the cut. Trinidad, who graduated from the academy in an era when cops wore neckties and drove patrol cars that lacked air conditioning, figured he'd stay on for a short while, maybe a year.

Eventually, he realized he'd stumbled onto his calling.

What followed was a scale of experiences - exciting and amusing, frightening and tragic - that any officer who responds to emergencies for a living must face, only stretched far beyond the two decades that typically mark the breadth of a cop's career.

There was that morning in the 1970s when someone stole his sister-in-law's purse from her car and called to claim the reward money. Trinidad had the day off, but he drove anyway to a meeting spot and chased the suspect for several city blocks before catching the man beneath an underpass.

He was suspended for three days for using too much force, he recalled.

And there are stories that still make him chuckle.

As a patrol officer on the West Side, Trinidad kept getting called to a home in which a woman alleged her husband had beaten her. Trinidad arrested the suspect twice for assault. The third time, the man pleaded his case.

"You know, every time you arrest me, she goes out dancing," he said.

Trinidad parked, turned off his headlights and waited. A few minutes later, the woman crept out of the back door wearing a dress.

"From then on, I took him to his mama's house," Trinidad said.

In 1991, the sergeant went to a North Side house in which a man had doused himself in gasoline and was threatening to set himself on fire with a match. Walking across a kitchen floor drenched with fuel, Trinidad somehow managed to handcuff the man.

"He's a San Antonio version of 'Die Hard' - Bruce Willis," Officer Alex Cornejo said. "He's an extraordinary man."

But the call that Trinidad can never forget echoed a loss he suffered in his own life. A 5-year-old boy accidentally shot his 4-year-old brother in the head with a rifle, he said.

"He had his head wrapped up in a towel, and he was saying, 'Wake up, wake up, wake up,'" Trinidad recalled. "You question why. Why does this happen to kids?"

In 1998, Trinidad lost his only son to a degenerative illness. The sergeant was 61. His pension had long since frozen, but he didn't quit. In 2001, he persuaded lawmakers to alter the pension law in his favor and later sued the city over allegations of age discrimination.

Now, Trinidad said he realizes that everything must come to an end. On Thursday, Trinidad left the police substation for the last time - not to tackle bad guys, but rather to sit down with some friends over tacos.

"I'm kind of leery," he said with a diehard cop's sense of humor. "I think I'm going to get shot."
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow, just Wow!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Amazing.

Thanks for your service Sgt!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

kcnuke is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    To the Sgt.

Here in Iowa, you are mandatory retired at age 62. It is nice that they let him stay as long as he did and enjoyed his employment.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As a patrol officer on the West Side, Trinidad kept getting called to a home in which a woman alleged her husband had beaten her. Trinidad arrested the suspect twice for assault. The third time, the man pleaded his case.

Trinidad parked, turned off his headlights and waited. A few minutes later, the woman crept out of the back door wearing a dress.

I would hate to see what happened to a cop if they did that today. That is still old school real police work there though.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Trini as he was called, is an interesting character. The last several years, they just let him drive around and do what he wanted. He did get along with everyone in a really rough part of town.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

I would hate to see what happened to a cop if they did that today. That is still old school real police work there though.
    I don't think I got what was happening here. Why would the wife go out dancing every time her husband was arrested, and why did that make the officer suspicious?

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't think I got what was happening here. Why would the wife go out dancing every time her husband was arrested, and why did that make the officer suspicious?
    My Dear Naive Jenna, I don't know if you'll believe this , but the wife like a lot of people was taking advantage of the system by twisting a well intended service for her uses. When she wanted to go partying guess who would be in the way? Thats right the husband.How do you get the husband out of the way? Call the cops and tell them that he threatened to break her neck. Bam he goes to jail on an assault charge. She goes Parrrty! In the old days an officer had discretion on how to handle something like this. Now most jurisdictions have Domestic Violence Laws which require an arrest be made. Jenna your not going to believe this one either but some people abuse food stamps too! But thats another issue.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sgt.Trinidad , please enjoy your well deserved retirement SIR. You sure as hell have earned it.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    My Dear Naive Jenna, I don't know if you'll believe this , but the wife like a lot of people was taking advantage of the system by twisting a well intended service for her uses. When she wanted to go partying guess who would be in the way? Thats right the husband.How do you get the husband out of the way? Call the cops and tell them that he threatened to break her neck. Bam he goes to jail on an assault charge. She goes Parrrty! In the old days an officer had discretion on how to handle something like this. Now most jurisdictions have Domestic Violence Laws which require an arrest be made. Jenna your not going to believe this one either but some people abuse food stamps too! But thats another issue.
    Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Wow, what a run,, 51 yrs....

We have one guy who is on his 40th year.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I salute him but at the end of 25 (or 30 if we get a DROP program) I am off like a prom dress.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Cripes, 51 years of Law Enforcement, I can imagine the stories he could tell, the changes he must of seen both on the street and in the department. I hope he lives a long and healthy life so he can kick back, enjoy life and share some of those amazing stories.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Congrats on the retirement Sgt. Trini. You've certainly done more than your share. Enjoy the "easy life".

One of my deputies is 77. He only has 17 years on, though. Started when he was 60.

Hope if I make it to 77, I have as much energy as he does.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The only thing that bothers me about this job is retirement. I don't know anything else.
    My hat is off to you Sgt. Your career time is most spectacular. Congradulations. I hope I can say the same one day.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about this job is retirement. I don't know anything else.
    My hat is off to you Sgt. Your career time is most spectacular. Congradulations. I hope I can say the same one day.

I retired a year ago.....for 2 months! I went to the state, was hired as a Capt. for the DOC, and still work part time as a cop in a small village as well. As Lewis expressed, it's hard to give up what you know. My hat is off to the Sgt. for doing what was in his heart rather than what society dictates.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    He needs to publish his memoirs.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Thread Information