Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Media Bias

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Media Bias

Interesting article posted on the conservative Power Line blog today. It is an intercepted memo from an unnamed major news network detailing how to make the Republicans look bad during their convention.
    http://www.powerlineblog.com/

August 5, 2008

Minnesota dreaming

Scott and John do most of the original reporting on Power Line, but once in while I get my hands on something big. Rarely have I come up with anything bigger than this confidential memorandum from the chief of an unnamed news network regarding how his organization will cover the Republican National Convention. Here's the memo in its entirety:

To: YYY's Republican Convention Coverage Team

Re: Fair and balanced coverage

We all know that network news coverage of national conventions has come in for severe criticism in recent years. While no one expects gavel-to-gavel coverage anymore, we've been accused of superficial and insufficient coverage, and of refusing to allow the parties to tell their story in their words before we pounce.

This year's Republican convention provides us with a golden opportunity to restore our convention coverage to its former glory. If we handle things properly, and follow the guidance set forth below for each day of the convention, we can give the Republicans all the air time they want while still providing our viewers with the real story of the convention.

Monday
    Bush will be speaking on Monday and it is imperative that he dominate our coverage. After all, we do not wish to be accused of paying insufficient attention to the sitting president. What I'm saying is that Monday should be all Bush, all the time.

Several themes need to be teased out. One is that this is still Bush's party. Thus, we need to capture the raw enthusiasm that some delegates no doubt will exhibit for Bush. Look for such delegates. Top priority should go to "large" delegates and delegates who are wearing McCain buttons and/or hats. Viewers should confront the very real prospect that McCain will give them a third Bush term.

Bush's speech will no doubt be a defense of his administration. Though few viewers will be duped, this is our opportunity to do some real reporting. I've thus authorized two exclusive video presentations that will air prior to Bush's speech; (1) the history of the Iraq War: 2004-2006 and (2) the Bush economy: 2001 and 2008.

Tuesday
    With Bush out of the way, Republicans will turn to what they do best -- bashing the opposition. The heavy guns will be trained on Obama and it will become imperative that we capture the raw hatred, and dare I say envy, that the delegates will manifest. Close-up shots and interviews with the meanest looking (and "largest") delegates are strongly encouraged. If a delegate seems too restrained, pose well-phrased questions such as: "Are you bothered by the fact that Obama doesn't look like the presidents on our paper money?" and "Do you think an Obama presidency will restore our image overseas?"

It is not our place, of course, to attribute the rabid hatred these delegates feel towards Obama to race. But viewers may be able to connect the dots if we intersperse our coverage with film clips of Bull Conner, old-time Alabama state troopers (preferably "large"), and the hosing and beating of black protesters in the early 1960s.

Wednesday
    On Wednesday, the focus will finally be on McCain. May I suggest that the emerging theme here shouldl be the lack of enthusiasm on the part of the overwhelmingly right-wing delegates for this once-moderate, formerly independent-thinking candidate? Look for evangelical delegates (especially "large" ones) and for delegates wearing buttons or hats with other candidates' names like Huckabee, Romney and above all, Ron Paul. If a moderate like Tom Ridge speaks, this will be our opportunity to return to the gavel-to-gavel, speaker-oriented model, with frequent shots of bored or pissed-off delegates.
    I've also contacted ZZZ ZZZZZZZZ, who covered every convention for us from 1952 through 2000. Though rather long-in-the-tooth, he's still a trooper and can be counted on to report that he's never seen a convention less enthusiastic about its nominee.

Thursday
    This is when McCain gives his "acceptance" speech. This is the kind of boring set piece that gives convention coverage a bad name. Still, we're obliged to cover it. We owe our viewers "context," however. To provide it, we will replay Obama's acceptance speech twice, once before McCain's and once after. This will enable viewers to decide for themselves which candidate is fresher and more eloquent.

We may also have to cut away from McCain's speech once or twice. Real Salt Lake is playing Chivas USA that night in a huge Major League Soccer match.

Conclusion
    The past two Republican conventions have produced a not inconsiderable bounce for the GOP. This has given rise to plausible charges that our coverage has been slanted in favor of the Republicans. By following the principles set forth above, we can do our best to make sure that there is no bounce, and hence no bias, in our coverage.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm surprised the media even plans to cover the Republican Convention. I would think they would have something more important to cover like live coverage of Senator Obama getting a haircut or eating a Hot Pocket.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Nevermind. While the bias remains, this story was a hoax. It was updated in the last couple of hours.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Nevermind. While the bias remains, this story was a hoax. It was updated in the last couple of hours.
    You thought it was real?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You thought it was real?
    Yep. Considering I didn't doubt it for a second speaks to how screwed up the MSM (main stream media) really is.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Jenna , did you write that memo?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Jenna , did you write that memo?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You thought it was real?
    Even though it was obvious farce, it would easily confuse.

The MSM *does* this sort of manipulation of the sheeple.

I'd be willing to bet if we saw the actual internal emails and memos, they would look worse.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    The media wouldn't be so obvious about their bias. But it's there, we all know it. In all fairness, Fox New's bias goes in the other direction, and we all know it.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wouldn't put it past the media. I trust them as much as my drug addict neighbors.

Thread Information