Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Thoughts from my trip to ATL

Just came back from a few days in downtown Atlanta with my wife and some friends. I just wanted to say that the APD guys and gals I saw and talked to were very professional and courteous. I had to ask for directions a few times and they were very helpful. It also seemed like they had a very visible presence on the streets--I saw quite a few walking the streets and posted at intersections. That presence made for a comforting feeling during our commutes around the mid/ downtown area.

I carried my Kel-Tec nearly everywhere with me, and only had a problem at one location--the World Of Coca-Cola. They not only have walk-through metal detectors, but also an employee with a detector wand. Had to go back to the car, discreetly, at that location. I didn't even bother to ask the APD officer present if HR 218 would make a difference, as I didn't want to alert him (or anyone else) that I had access to firearms.

One thing I noticed in Atlanta was that there were no bums or beggars like I saw New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville. Maybe it was because I was in the "business" district, but the lack of undesirables was refreshing.

The biggest hassle of ATL was the roads, more specifically the road construction. There was quite a snafu with all of it going on, and it seemed like we had to get on the interstate to go two blocks, just to exit off again. Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge of the area.

As a side note, I got to go through Colombus on the way back yesterday. Went to Ranger Joe's and the old US Cav, although I was pressed for time. Probably a good thing, as they are like an adult candy store to me!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I've never actually visited ATL but have driven through on 75 on my way from FL to KY a few times. Not being real good with directions I got very confused driving through there even with my GPS. I have heard that it is a beautiful city.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yeah, we had a GPS, but it only worked so-so. At one point it kept telling us to "turn left in 0.1 miles." We were on the interstate and there was only a 5' high concrete wall to the left!
    As for being beautiful, the downtown area was pretty nice--if you like the concrete jungle. I didn't see much of the suburban area around metro Atlanta, but what I did see looked like a busier version of my hometown of Mobile, Alabama. I'd rank the appearance of Atlanta as similar to that of Birmingham, AL.

Some of the folks in the downtown area had that urbanite smugness about them, but for the most part people still had plenty of southern hospitality and kindness.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    The only time I have been in Hotlanta was on a layover for a trip out of the country. The layover was 3 hours so my cousin who lives in Hotlanta picked us up for lunch from the Airport, we went to some crab shack that was awesome. Everyone that I was in contact with there were great. No complaints here
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARJJ View Post
    Some of the folks in the downtown area had that urbanite smugness about them, but for the most part people still had plenty of southern hospitality and kindness.
    Ever visit New York City?

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Welcome to my town. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Just came back from a few days in downtown Atlanta with my wife and some friends. I just wanted to say that the APD guys and gals I saw and talked to were very professional and courteous. I had to ask for directions a few times and they were very helpful. It also seemed like they had a very visible presence on the streets--I saw quite a few walking the streets and posted at intersections. That presence made for a comforting feeling during our commutes around the mid/ downtown area.
    One thing I noticed in Atlanta was that there were no bums or beggars like I saw New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville. Maybe it was because I was in the "business" district, but the lack of undesirables was refreshing.
    This is because you were in the tourist areas. APD is under mandate to keep the bums out of the tourist areas.

I carried my Kel-Tec nearly everywhere with me, and only had a problem at one location--the World Of Coca-Cola. They not only have walk-through metal detectors, but also an employee with a detector wand. Had to go back to the car, discreetly, at that location. I didn't even bother to ask the APD officer present if HR 218 would make a difference, as I didn't want to alert him (or anyone else) that I had access to firearms.
    You would not have had a problem. Despite what the tin foil freaks on the gun boards say, APD does not go around giving CCWrs a hard time. I have open carried in Mid Town and nothing was said.

The biggest hassle of ATL was the roads, more specifically the road construction. There was quite a snafu with all of it going on, and it seemed like we had to get on the interstate to go two blocks, just to exit off again. Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge of the area.
    DOT has most of the on and off ramps Downtown closed while they repave the connector. If you aint from round here, you are in a heap of trouble trying to get around.

Come back and visit again. Let me know when you get here and I will show you my ATL. I love it here.

Norm
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Glad that you had a good trip! I'll be in Atlanta next week.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Glad that you had a good trip! I'll be in Atlanta next week.

When and where are you staying? Are you going to have any free time?
    dlefdal said:

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    When and where are you staying? Are you going to have any free time?
    I'm staying in Duluth. PM on its way.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm staying in Duluth. PM on its way.

Duluth aint Atlanta! That's where the yuppies live.

PM answered LOL
    dlefdal said:

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Duluth aint Atlanta! That's where the yuppies live.

PM answered LOL
    Haha! I'll be sleeping in Duluth but I think the bulk of my time will be spent in downtown Atlanta.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Haha! I'll be sleeping in Duluth but I think the bulk of my time will be spent in downtown Atlanta.

Sweet! How do you feel about chili dogs and onion rings?
    dlefdal said:

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Norm,

I'm glad to hear that Atlanta is keeping the bums off the street, even if I was in a "tourist" area. In Nashville and Memphis, we were constantly harassed by beggars. At one point, I thought if I didn't give something, I would be mugged. I had to use some not-so-friendly persuasion to get out of that situation, and it pissed me off--we were in the "tourist" areas in those citites, as well. Whatever APD is doing seems to be working!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ARJJ View Post
    Norm,

I'm glad to hear that Atlanta is keeping the bums off the street, even if I was in a "tourist" area. In Nashville and Memphis, we were constantly harassed by beggars. At one point, I thought if I didn't give something, I would be mugged. I had to use some not-so-friendly persuasion to get out of that situation, and it pissed me off--we were in the "tourist" areas in those citites, as well. Whatever APD is doing seems to be working!

LOL Tuesday night I stopped off at a Chevron station in south Atlanta, and before I made it to the door, I was offered nookie, dope, and a cell phone, all while people were asking me for a "dolla".

A few choice words tends to keep the bums in their place.
    dlefdal said:

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    LOL Tuesday night I stopped off at a Chevron station in south Atlanta, and before I made it to the door, I was offered nookie, dope, and a cell phone, all while people were asking me for a "dolla".

A few choice words tends to keep the bums in their place.
    I found out (quite unintentionally) that a sword strapped to the hip makes them back off pretty fast, too.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sweet! How do you feel about chili dogs and onion rings?

That sounds like a date at The Varsity to me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

dlefdal said:

Thread Information