Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ls1ssws6 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Philadelphia Police Academy: It begins....

Monday was my first day at the academy and from the moment i walked in the door and signed in the Srgt's were yelling at us I have never done so many pushups in 3 days in my life!!! Already I think 3 or 4 people have quit. I am loving it, we havent even started learning anything, just fillign out paperwork, going over rules and regs etc etc. I know this is the right line of work for me because the days go by way too fast and at 4pm when its time to leave im thinking about 8 the next day when i can come back in I love it! I know its going to be hard work and ill probably be in a lot of pain the next 7 months but in the end i KNOW it will be worth it

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It's great that you're so enthusiastic! Good luck!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It's great that you're so enthusiastic! Good luck!
    Thanks. I dunno i guess it has just been in my blood since my dads a cop. Hearing all of his stories and knowing i wont go out there and have the same 9-5 day in and day out. its gonna be shift work and I will never get the same call, yea theres gonna be shit i dont wana do but thats with ANY job and it comes with the territory. I just cant wait to start hitting the book, gym, PT, DT, range, driving class AHHH im so excited! Im going to bed, my platoon needs to get in early so we can line up Alphabetically, if we dont do it right its 20 pushups.......per person out of order

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like you have the right attitude. The yelling is just a mind screw. It's disclipine they're trying to instill in you not attitude. Some folks don't get that. And Admin wonder why they get so many complaints on officers these days and why cops aren't as "friendly" as they used to be.
    I hope you have a great time with your academy as I did with mine.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Practice spelling words on the roof of your mouth with your tongue.

It keeps you from talking, and allows to you say things you shouldn't.

It also makes it look like you are not frowning.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Sounds like you have the right attitude. The yelling is just a mind screw. It's disclipine they're trying to instill in you not attitude. Some folks don't get that. And Admin wonder why they get so many complaints on officers these days and why cops aren't as "friendly" as they used to be.
    I hope you have a great time with your academy as I did with mine.
    I'll second that, I remember my good old days in the academy, definitely a learning experience. Glad you are loving it, make the best of it!

The yelling, the making and breaking of the best of them. Comes from the Para Military style in your face teaching method, builds stronger character. Paperwork, I can only imagine how many trees were killed because of all the paperwork in our department, if all departments are the same it has to be a forest's worth.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    I'll second that, I remember my good old days in the academy, definitely a learning experience. Glad you are loving it, make the best of it!

The yelling, the making and breaking of the best of them. Comes from the Para Military style in your face teaching method, builds stronger character. Paperwork, I can only imagine how many trees were killed because of all the paperwork in our department, if all departments are the same it has to be a forest's worth.
    haha yea thats what they keep telling us para military, para military etc etc. The Sgt. that has been doing all the yelling and everything is in charge of my platoon and seems really cool now. I guess he figured all the weak guys are weeded out now, there have been about 4 or 5 people quit already

I second the forest thing, we get into the classroom and theres 2 books on codes and conduct that are about 3000 pages each and then a STACK of paper about 8'' tall.....i see a lotta studyin in the next few months lol

oh well time for breakfast and another day at the lovely job

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    So glad to read about your excitment. Hope you are feeling the same in a month from now lol I am sure you will! Hang in there and enjoy, if you can! Will be over before you know it
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I had a blast at my academy. It was alot of fun.. I just did what the D.I.s wanted, kept my mouth shut and I did fine.. Got 2nd in my class

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    So glad to read about your excitment. Hope you are feeling the same in a month from now lol I am sure you will! Hang in there and enjoy, if you can! Will be over before you know it
    I can pretty much guaruntee i will feel the same way in a month lol Our Sgt. was talking today about being a good cop to the community and helping out people, i got to gitty i almost jumped out of my chair! I get goosebumps all day cause i just cant freaking wait to get out there and make a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I had a blast at my academy. It was alot of fun.. I just did what the D.I.s wanted, kept my mouth shut and I did fine.. Got 2nd in my class
    Yea I messed up on 2 stupid things the first two days and paid DEARLY with pushups but the rest of the week I have been keeping my head straight on and listen and do exactly what the intstructors tell me to do. I am kinda nervous about the tests cause they say if we fail 2 we get kicked out and can NEVER be a cop in the state of PA So of course it got me on edge, we have our first test next Friday so i think after taking it i should get a gauge of how they are and hopefully can just go full speed ahead from there

found this and thought it was funny...none of those officers work there anymore though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FY-ZGoZyzU

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do they not work there because of that video?

Verified LEO
    Do they not work there because of that video?
    no no no i dont think so, i just never saw them at the acaddemy this week. we have different Sgt.'s That was years ago, they change up every few years.

BTW that is the greatest picture, is that your dog? full G.S.?

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yes he is one of my dogs. There are some other pics in my profile

Verified LEO
    Yes he is one of my dogs. There are some other pics in my profile
    cute dogs man! so as puppies they have the droopy ears then do they stick up on their own as they get older or do they have to be cropped? I love the one that says keep on leash and theyre just runnin around like F it

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Son , it sounds like you got it all figured out. I love your motivated attitude. Enjoy the academy and everything else about the job because time sure does fly by. Be Safe.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Keep up the great work. The streets of Philly need more good Officer's out there and it sounds like you will be one of them!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1ssws6 View Post
    I get goosebumps all day cause i just cant freaking wait to get out there and make a difference!
    Sorry. Good luck with everything!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Son , it sounds like you got it all figured out. I love your motivated attitude. Enjoy the academy and everything else about the job because time sure does fly by. Be Safe.
    i am just nervous about the tests. I just graduated with my Associates in Criminal Justice so i know a lot about LE already but they keep telling us "Fail 2 tests and your fired and will NEVER be able to be a cop in the state of PA" Its just freakin me out thinkg about "what if". I know i shouldnt be but its impossible not to think of it. I think once we take out first test (Friday) i should be ok cause then ill see how it is, but untill then im kinda stressin out

Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    Keep up the great work. The streets of Philly need more good Officer's out there and it sounds like you will be one of them!
    Thanks, im trying my hardest, graduation is supossed to be in March so hopefully ill be posting up then with good news...no, GREAT news

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Sorry. Good luck with everything!
    haha thanks

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1ssws6 View Post
    cute dogs man! so as puppies they have the droopy ears then do they stick up on their own as they get older or do they have to be cropped? I love the one that says keep on leash and theyre just runnin around like F it

The ears pop up normally. They are good dogs... And I had a leash.. it was in my hand while taking the picture. Hahaha

Verified LEO
    The ears pop up normally. They are good dogs... And I had a leash.. it was in my hand while taking the picture. Hahaha
    some good thatll do haha....just kiddin i know those dogs are probably more trained than me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information