Welcome to the APBWeb.
    sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

Unhappy Backyard Swimming Pools

I just found another reason never to own a backyard swimming pool. I had one for a few years when living in Hawaii. THe pool was a nuisance: difficult and expensive to maintain, attractive nuisance to neighborhood kids who used it when I was away, depsite the locked fence. Razor wire and claymores did come to mind.

A few days ago my black lab almost drowned in a backyard swimming pool. A friend in eastern Oregon has a pool and visited there a few days ago. It was a high 90's hot day. While dozing in the shade nearby I heard a "splash" and my dog had jumped in that pool to cool off. I looked up and saw her panicked in the corner at the deep end trying to get out over the vertical edge 8 inches above the surface. She went under once and choked. I ran to the edge and grabbed her collar and a handful of skin behind her neck. I saw her eyes dialated in total panic, never will forget that. I knee walked, pulling her to the shallow end and to the steps. She relaxed as I took charge, only paddling to feel for the bottom. At the steps she was able to pull herself out, hacked and coughed a while and still shaking she walked towards the lawn and layed down. It took a while for her to recover, and she now remains right next to me, wherever I go. She is used to water as in creeks, the ocean, natural ponds, where the water entry and exit is shallow, but not the sheer walls of a swiming pool.

Watch your kids, and your pets around these backyard hazards.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We just had a precious 2-year-old drown in a back yard pool in the village I patrol. her Grampa is the head of the the streets department and the whole family is devastated.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Out of all the deaths I can think about happening, Drowning is my most fearful. It just has to be painful and yet you know whats going on.. .. scary
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Out of all the deaths I can think about happening, Drowning is my most fearful. It just has to be painful and yet you know whats going on.. .. scary
    I agree. When I was a kid, I grew up on Lake Buttes des Morts and my cousin drowned. I remember my dad and all of the neighbors going out in fishing boats and dragging the lake with grappling hooks looking for his body.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Backyard pools can be dangerous. When my brother was about 10 years old he almost drown. A family friend broke her leg saving him as he was under water and not moving. True story.

Thread Information