Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Goodbye Sugar!!

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

Goodbye Sugar!!

Anyone a diabetic?... Feeling tired and sluggish lately I went to the family doctor for a checkup, which included blood work. I got the results back last week which showed I was on the cutting edge of being a diabetic.
    Since I quit smoking Cigs without a substitute, I can quit eating sugar with the help of Splenda.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Although I'm not a diabetic there are times where my blood sugar has gone up a bit higher than it should, so I try to follow a diabetic diet when I can. I really think it's the best diet for us anyway. Good luck with it and I hope you can keep yourself from getting diabetes!
    Arm the sheep!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Smoking cigarettes is never good for anybody, glad to see that you decided to quit. I have lost relatives to cancer from smoking and I also used to smoke myself. After seeing what my dad went through after smoking for over 40 years, I decided to quit cold turkey after he passed. Just couldn't handle seeing him so weak in bed that I physically had to pick him up so that he could use the commode. I firmly believe that he would still be around, even at 84, to this day if he had never smoked.

As far as the diabetes thing goes, I have a few friends afflicted with it and a teenage niece. Some can watch their sugar intake with diet, others like my niece have to go and get insulin shots for the rest of their life. Diabetes has two types, one can't get enough sugar or their sugar that is naturally formed is not enough to sustain them on, and the other has too much sugar and their body can't process it correctly. Not sure which is Type 1 or Type 2, maybe someone with a bit more medical knowledge than I will be able to chime in here. I am NOT a medical doctor.

Most of all, get regular checkups from your doctor. He / She knows what is best for you. It wouldn't hurt to watch your salt intake as well. Stick to foods that have a low sodium count. One of my diabetic friends watches this like a hawk, just as well as he watches his sugar intake. For some, this diet change is really hard for them, others not so much.

I applaud you in your efforts to seek out to live a healthier lifestyle. Hopefully through diet you can achieve this.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Hey Ret. I am, in fact, a diabetic (Type I). It's not just the "sugar" you have to watch out for. Blood sugar is raised by your body converting carbohydrates to sugar/energy. Sugar does tend to have a lot of carbs (if you drink regular soda switch to diet!) and therefore tends to be the first thing people think of. However, those potatoes, bread, granola bars, and even corn can raise your blood sugar. While you don't need to cut out sugar *completely* (you would probably be a lot healthier) just keep in mind that there are a lot of different things that raise blood sugars.

If you want to PM me, feel free. Doctors try to scare us as badly as they can and I can point you to a few places to get some real information without all the "No Sugar Fire and Brimstone" speeches or answer any questions you may have.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    When I ate sugar and salty foods, I was getting fluid build up in my lower legs. There were times I would have an impression of my elastic sock tops and unable to get my slip on boots over my lower legs, primarily the left.

Went to the doctor. He has tracked my bloodwork over the past year. He asked what happened to the sweling in my lower legs. Told him I dropped salty food and high sugar stuff (like M&Ms, any kind of ice cream, etc) from my diet. He said he did not have the "medical" answer why but that I do not have, nor ever had diabetes. Guesss the diet change is a warning I needed. Lost 10+ lbs past month just by staying off fast food places and eating healthy.

Retmilleo909 - good job bro. My doc said the 'warranty' expired at 50.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Unfortunately it is not so simple, just saying goodbye to sugar may not cut it. You may have to adjust the way you eat, differentiate between good carbs and bad carbs. Difference between good carbs and bad is the time it takes the body to break it down, slower is better, it is less likely to effect the sugar levels in your blood. It is really a little more complicated, I just simplified the process. Reading a book like SugarBusters can help you understand it better. You can probably get those books for real cheap on ebay, half.com or amazon.

I am in the same boat as you, got what they call pre-diabetes, type 2 runs in my family. I take metformin to help curb the sugar levels in my blood. Good luck! If you can curb it with just diet that will be great!

Verified LEO
    I would urge both of you (Ret and 2 Blue) to check out what you can on the Glycemic Index.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I would urge both of you (Ret and 2 Blue) to check out what you can on the Glycemic Index.

Thanks Irish, could not think of the phrase, that too is covered in that book or in other books that explain the difference between the bad and good carbs. It has been a while since I read those books, one thing I always remember as a rule of thumb, stay away from white sugar, white flour, white rice or anything that uses bleached flour. Better choices are are the whole grains, brown rice, other good carbs include beans.

As I am typing this I am eating nice salty pretzels made with bleached flour. LOL!! Not very healthy but they sure do taste good!

Verified LEO
    LOL Sometimes you just have to indulge yourself or you'd go crazy. Do they even *make* whole-grain pretzels?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    LOL Sometimes you just have to indulge yourself or you'd go crazy. Do they even *make* whole-grain pretzels?
    They do make a multi grain one if you can find them, trader joes has some good whole grain snacks if you got one near. Some of those health snacks have a taste that resembles what cardboard may taste like or have a texture of either rocks or saw dust. LOL!!

One thing I wanted to add, Retmilleo909 make sure when they did your blood work they checked your thyroid levels, it is a separate test and costs more and a lot of doctors won't order it, being tired and sluggish is one of the side effects of hypothryoidism (sluggish thryoid). (other side effects include feeling cold, loss of hair, weight gain to mention a few)

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My entire family is diabetic.

Well, most of them. Mom, two brothers, Dad, spouse.

Lost one of the two brothers from it at age 28. Spouse is a late onset type II, both of my younger brothers were juvenile onset (Type I.)

Missed me, but maybe later in life for Type II. Missed my sons for Type I too, they had the genetic test.

The good lord has a sense of humor though, I am hypoglycemic.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Thanks for the tips, especially the one about salt..I've already quit eating sweets and replaced them with an occasional apple and a lot of fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I've cut way down on carbs, with less breads, pastas, potatoes, yellow veggies, etc. I'm now eating more green vegetables like broccolli, brussel sprouts, string beans, okra, etc. and am now eating more chicken and turkey breast, wild salmon, orange roughy,tilapia and other fish.
    Incidently, does anyone like boiled okra?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Man, boiled & buttered baby okra is heaven on Earth.

My mother's a diabetic. She did good on the "Sugar Busters" diet, but she had a big problem giving up or limiting stuff like pasta, corn, bread, rolls, biscuits, potatoes, and rice, not to mention candy and deserts.

The Sugar Busters book has some good suggestions for substitutes, such as eating baked sweet potatoes instead of baked Irish potatoes (if you like what it suggests).

She had trouble cooking a meal without using any of that stuff, so she eventually fell off the diet. She's a farm girl, so giving up corn, bread, jelly, pies and potatoes was a huge deal. She'd rather take the shots, so that's what she does.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Good for you for going in and being checked. Glad you caught it before it hit.......now you can avoid it. Hope you start feeling better!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I am Insulin dependent and have gone on the Insulin Pump it has brought my numbers down pretty good. I agree you gotta watch the carbs.

I quit smoking when I had a stroke I had my last cigarette while my wife was registering me at admitting for the stroke.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Glad you had it checked out and hopefully you can control it without medication. Grandmothers on both sides of my family are/were Type 2 diabetic and my dad was diagnosed with Type 2 less than a year ago. At my last physical my blood glucose level was very close to the "pre-diabetic" stage but by changing my diet and exercise habits I've been able to bring it back to the normal range.

Everyone is different and not everything works the same way for everyone, depending on any other health issues that may be present - in addition to what irishmick said about reading up on the Glycemic Index and being aware of the many foods other than sugar than can impact your blood glucose, I would also suggest that you check out the American Diabetes Association's website and be proactive and take a diabetes education class (which should be available through your physician's hospital affiliation). Good luck to you!

http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Also dont forget how important exercise is to regulating blood sugar. If you arent getting regular cardivascular exercise, then you should probably talk to your doctor about that as well.
    Arm the sheep!

Thread Information