Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

The more you know....

William C. Ayers, commonly called Bill Ayers, was born in 1944 in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.

Ayers is presently a professor at the University of Illinois in Chicago.

In 1969, Mr. Ayers co-founded the Weathermen with Mark Rudd, Bernardine Dohrn, John Jacobs, Jim Mellen, Terry Robbins, Karen Ashley, Jeff Jones, Gerry Long, and Steve Tappis - a group of men and women who split from the old SDS group because they felt it was not militant enough to achieve their aims.

Mr. Ayers was one of the top leaders of the Weathermen for some time.

The Weathermen made their introduction to the world with the Days of Rage demonstration in the fall of 1969, using the slogan "Bring the War Home." Their first action was to detonate explosives in a public place, destroying a statue and damaging 100 windows, causing debrist to rain down on a nearby expressway.

In 1970, the Weathermen declared war upon the government of the United States of America, changing their name to the Weather Underground Organization.

That February, the WUO detonated a bomb at the headquarters of the San Francisco PD, killing a police Sergeant and maiming another officer. Gasoline firebombs exploded that same month at the home of a New York State Supreme Court justice while his family slept inside, and the same type of incendiaries were used against a police car in Manhattan and two military recruiters offices in Brooklynn.

On March 6th, while preparing to bomb an officer's dance at Ft. Dix, WUO members detonated their own bomb prematurely, killing three of them.

This debacle sent the WUO truly underground, and shrunk their membership considerably, as those without the taste for real violence fled.

In May, the WUO promised to attack an American symbol within two weeks, but this did not occur on their timeline.

In June, the first "claimed credit" bombing was committed by the WUO, at a NYPD station.

By the end of 1970, the WUO was placed on the ten most wanted list by the FBI. Today, they would have been labeled a terrorist organization by the Homeland Security Department.

The WUO exploits continued into the early 80's, including an armored car robbery that resulted in the deaths of two policemen and a guard in Nanuet, New York. Although the WUO had begun to disintegrate by 1976 or so, five former members were involved in the robbery.

Mr. Ayers was quoted as saying "I don't regret setting bombs" in the New York Times, but has later stated he was misquoted.

Here is a link to the article. Read it, it outlines more bombings and there is a quote about Mr. Ayers not "discounting the possibility" of repeating his behavior.

Why is this important to you?

Ayers is part of the Daley political machine in Illinois, and has served together with Barack Obama for three years on the board of the Woods Fund of Chicago, between 1999 and 2002.

Ayers also hosted Obama's first fundraising campaign reception in 1995, as Obama ran for the State Senate, and is listed as a donor to his Presidential campaign.

Why have you not heard about this more in the media? Mr. Ayers, and many like him who are products of the Daley political machine, figure heavily in the life of Mr. Barrack Obama - and his political upbringing.

I'm fairly sure Mr. Obama is not a terrorist, but this is another association that he needs to explain to the American people, along with Rev. Wright. One cannot simply lie down with dogs and escape without fleas.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also don't get why the media absolutely refuse to report these type of things. Obama continues to befriend this person. Jenna says she supports police across the country yet she continues to support someone that is vicariously supporting the murder of officers. Can she explain why?

Kate is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I also don't get why the media absolutely refuse to report these type of things. Obama continues to befriend this person. Jenna says she supports police across the country yet she continues to support someone that is vicariously supporting the murder of officers. Can she explain why?
    I'm not sure why, but your reply had me thinking about something I read online the other day regarding the Democratic National Convention and Obama's liberal Hollywood supporters who attended. One that I absolutely can't stand is Susan Sarandon. She is a big supporter of Wesley Cook, aka Mumia Abu Jamal, who murdered Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981.

To see a list of those liberal idiots who want to free a cop killer, go here: Justice for Daniel Faulkner. I'll warn you ahead of time though - seeing those idiots on the list may make you vomit.

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Obama is a supporter of Cook.

And macclean, I'm sorry for throwing your post off topic. Carry on.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2234082.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2234082.story

chicagotribune.com
    Files linking Obama to '60s radical a hot commodity
    UIC library releases Annenberg records
    By Jodi S. Cohen and Ray Gibson

Chicago Tribune reporters

August 27, 2008

The University of Illinois at Chicago on Tuesday released more than 1,000 files detailing the activities of an education reform group in which both Barack Obama and former 1960s radical William Ayers played key roles.

The release of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge documents turned the sterile special collections room at the university's Daley library into a media frenzy. Television crews hovered at the room's entrance. Librarians scurried to copying machines to fulfill the requests of a roomful of reporters. Two security officers stood guard.

On a typical day, one or two scholars may conduct research there. The library director laughed when asked whether it has had security before.

A partial examination of the documents did not reveal anything startling about the link between Obama, the Democratic presidential contender, and Ayers, a founder of the Weather Underground, a Vietnam-era anti-war group that claimed responsibility for several bombings. Ayers, who spent years in hiding, is now a UIC education professor.

The interest in the documents comes as supporters of Republican presidential candidate John McCain have questioned Obama's ties to Ayers. The Obama campaign this week countered by airing television commercials suggesting that McCain is stuck in the '60s.

The UIC records show that Obama and Ayers attended board meetings, retreats and at least one news conference together as the education program got under way. The two continued to attend meetings together during the 1995-2001 operation of the program, records show.

At a Democratic debate this year when the association between Obama and Ayers was raised, Obama said: "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood. . . . He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis." Obama called Ayers' past radical acts detestable.

But critics note that Obama visited Ayers' home for a meeting at the start of his first state Senate bid in the mid-'90s.

The UIC records showed that Ayers was instrumental in securing the $50 million education grant to reform Chicago Public Schools, part of a national initiative funded by the late Ambassador Walter Annenberg. . After Chicago was awarded the money, Obama served as president of the Challenge's board of directors, the fiscal arm that disbursed the grants to schools and raised private matching funds. Ayers participated in a second entity known as the Chicago School Reform Collaborative, the operational arm that worked with the grant recipients.

UIC temporarily closed the Challenge archives this month about the same time it received a request from a National Review magazine reporter to review them. UIC spokesman Mark Rosati said the library restricted access after receiving a call in early August from a "former representative" of the Challenge's board, who raised questions about the university's authority to make the documents public. The archives were reopened Tuesday after the university determined it had the authority to allow public access.

Tribune reporter David Kidwell contributed to this report.

jscohen@tribune.com

rgibson@tribune.com

Copyright 2008, Chicago Tribune

Thread Information