Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Great letter

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Great letter

Below is a letter written to the editor of the Winnipeg Sun. Worth a read, and I think it reflects how we all feel sometimes.

Subject: letter to the editor: Winnipeg Sun

Tarnishing us all

Much is said, and has been said, about prejudice, intolerance and discrimination against others for simply belonging to a certain identifiable group.

I am a member of the smallest visible minority group in Winnipeg. Most of my people are university educated and we are all gainfully employed. Less than 0.1% of us have ever been accused of, or convicted, of a criminal offence. Many of us have sacrificed our weekends, holidays and turned away more profitable opportunities elsewhere to serve others, even those that despise us, for the betterment of the community. And, like all human beings, we, too, are imperfect and fallible. Some of my people have been shot and stabbed for the way we look. Many of us have been beaten and spit upon because of our appearance. Many people call us criminals and gangsters because of the clothes we wear and the cars we drive.

When people (including the media) speak of, the real or perceived misconduct of one of ours, they often refer to us as "they" or "those people", as if to blame my brothers and sisters for the actions of a few. Their broad brushstroke seeks to tarnish us all. Yet despite the wounds we suffer, we often choose to turn the other cheek, with quiet dignity and self-respect. We soldier on with great pride and honour, while helping to cleanse the wounds of our enemies, despite their hatred and trespasses against us and others. But sometimes, we fight back, most times without much choice, but always with restraint and self-discipline. When we do, people call us murderers. If we had chosen to walk away, they would have called us cowards. And they all believe that they can do it better, having never walked a single step in our boots.

I am a member of the smallest visible minority group in Winnipeg. I am a police officer.

Miguel Carvalho
    Winnipeg
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Deep and very true.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    outstanding!!!
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Couldn't say it better, Kudos to him

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information