Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Braces

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Braces

Have any of you ever had them?

The last time I went to an orthodontist (granted, it was in high school) they said they'd have to break my jaw and realign it. Has technology changed for the better since about 10 years ago? I have to get them, but don't want to be down for the count if I do...

I should add that I have an overbite, spacing between teeth, and my dental midlines don't match. Bah.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    My sister had her jaw broken surgically and then wore braces. She had this done a few years ago and it was not done solely for cosmetic reasons. She suffers from severe migraine headaches and that was the main reason she had it done. Did the surgery eliviate the headaches, no she still has them. I am not sure if technology has changed much in the past few years, other then trying to beautify braces and sometimes those do not work as well as the old fashioned type. Get a few opinions before getting any thing done, sometimes if you do not do it the right way the teeth wind up going crooked again. Combination of factors need to be taken into account, your bite, the way you swallow, are you teeth grinder (very common when sleeping). Good luck!

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I had braces MANY years ago....i had horrible overbite....wore them for 5 to 7 years.
    I think only thing that has changed is the braces are better, glue is better, and you don't have to wear them as long. My husband has horrible underbite...and they want to break his jaw also......but he refuses to have his mouth wired shut for a month and all food sucked through a straw.
    My 12yr old has braces......has had them for about a year and huge difference already......they say he only needs them for another year. He has small overbite and spaces between his teeth.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    have to break my jaw and realign it.

F@@k that.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    F@@k that.
    Yup
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    F@@k that.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. heh My mom broker her jaw when I was younger...not something I would like to go through. Although, I suppose I wouldn't need to diet...
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

I just got my braces off this past summer!!

Technology has changed immensely.

Originally about 5 years ago I went in and had a consultation and I was going to have to have this giagantic metal hinge on my mouth mostly because of that being so horrible I decided, hell no.

Then about 2 years after we went back and technologies had totally changed and they didn't even use that technique anymore.

So it's worth a shot. They suck to wear, but it's worth it in the end. Also my overbite and teeth were horrible beforehand and now they're perfect
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Mick,

Most cosmetic dentistry places should give you a free consultation. The ones that are worth their salt do, anyway. I got one at a local dentist and by the time it's all said and done, I'm probably going to end up dropping as much money as I did for my truck.

But there are shortcuts and if you have good credit (which I'm trying to rebuild) then you shouldn't have a problem getting a finance plan.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

My son's braces was roughly 5 grand.
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    My son's braces was roughly 5 grand.
    Holy crap.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Since the topic is braces, I thought I would add a different twist to the subject.

My sister was born with fallen arches in both of her feet. The Doctor told my parents that the condition could be corrected with wearing corrective arch supports in her formative years. This proved to be quite difficult as my sister loved to run around barefoot. She said the shoes hurt her feet. The Doctor informed us that if she didn't wear shoes all the time that it was very possible that she would have to wear braces on her feet (a la Forest Gump) later in life. She didn't want that. Thank goodness she listened. She walks normally now, but it sure was a struggle in the early years.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Since the topic is braces, I thought I would add a different twist to the subject.

My sister was born with fallen arches in both of her feet. The Doctor told my parents that the condition could be corrected with wearing corrective arch supports in her formative years. This proved to be quite difficult as my sister loved to run around barefoot. She said the shoes hurt her feet. The Doctor informed us that if she didn't wear shoes all the time that it was very possible that she would have to wear braces on her feet (a la Forest Gump) later in life. She didn't want that. Thank goodness she listened. She walks normally now, but it sure was a struggle in the early years.
    My 5yr old daughter has prosthetics in her shoes for same reason. Was hard to get her to keep shoes on.......but she is great about it now. She is also a tippy-toe walker. It will pay off later.....and thank goodness insurance paid for that! Was a couple hundred per foot.......and she will get new ones every couple of years.
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    Holy crap.
    Yeah........but worth every penny to assist him in feeling better about himself..and really makes a difference in how others percieve you.....especially later in life, with jobs and such. I am so glad my mom spent the cash to get my teeth corrected.
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Kittylynn is offline NOT A SLUT!!!! DAMMIT!!!
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My parents tried to get my teeth fixed when I was younger. The dentist said that braces could be avoided if I got retainers for a few years. It didn't work, at least not completely. The gap between my two front teeth was closed, but who knew that my right eye tooth would grow in so crooked? My mom has the same thing, and my youngest brother does too, so I guess it hereditary? We call it the family snaggletooth. Unfortunately I have my Father's thin tooth enamel problem so I have some visible cavities in my front teeth now that fillings wont stay in. Had them redone 3 times and I just cant afford to keep redoing it to just have them fall out again. I will probably have to get veneers or something drastic and expensive.
    It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you aren't!

Adopt a virtual pet today! Check out neopets! It's fun and free. All ages play!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I was fitted for Invisalign braces and I am waiting for them to come in. I only have to wear them for one year vs. two for standard braces. They cost $4,000.00 though.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.Ē Ė Jeff Cooper'

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Both my daughters needed braces at about $5000 each. They had pretty messed-up teeth. I tired to tell my wife we could wait and if it bothered their husbands, they could pay for it, but she wouldn't listen!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They told me they wanted to break my upper palate to accomplish some alignment.

I asked them what would happen if I got punched in the face, and got a blank look.

Pass.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information