Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned

What's your opinion of firefighters?

What's your opinion of firefighters....do you think they need LEO's to be their heroes ?

I like both LEO's and firefighters and respect both for the services they provide..Some think firemen/women sit around all day playing dominoes and watching TV. This may hold true on the night and early AM watch after the kitchen has been cleaned up following the supper meal. I'm not speaking from what I've heard I'm speaking from personal experience. When in the navy I was a member of an aircraft rescue team which was a branch of the air base fire department.
    When not on a pass or leave we were on standby duty around the clock ready to respond to a downed aircraft or a base fire and to assist the local FD's if called on in an emergency.
    When a FF isn't busy fighting fire these people stay busy from 7 AM till 6 PM polishing / shining equipment, sweeping and mopping floors, scrubbing hose, testing the equipment and in a class room or the field training. Since the physical requirements of a city firefighter are pretty rigid most stay in condition by working out on a treadmill, rowing machines, etc. Also, it's not wise to become a firefighter if a person has acrophobia or claustrophobia as they occasionally fight fires a long way up and in very close quarters.
    As a City Cop I ate quite a few meals in a fire house as there was always a seat available at the dining room table for any Cop. Also, firemen are notorious for being good cooks.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I like firefighters also. It has ALWAYS been my personal policy to be very good friends with the ones that are going to save me if something bad happens. I train with them as often as I can (on my own time). I go to their drills so I can meet new people and get updates. I eat with them when possible. There has been calls where I was injured. I could see the different level of response. This goes both for volunteers and fulltime firefighters. If they are on calls I always show up and ask if they need anything or help. On wildfires I will even hump hose up the hill for them. All because I want them to plug that hole for me if I get shot. I did tick off a captain with CDF (Cal Fire now) the other day and beat him in a video game.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My dad was a part-time firefighter/paramedic. The old saying that you mess with those you like/respect holds true for the lazy, chili eating, hose dragging firefighters.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I think too many of them are arrogant, obnoxious, lazy, anti-LEO, and jealous of law enforcement. I think they provide a vital service, however.

Now volunteer firefighters are a different story. One which I will save for a future rant in Term Sounds Off.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think too many of them are arrogant, obnoxious, lazy, anti-LEO, and jealous of law enforcement. I think they provide a vital service, however.

Now volunteer firefighters are a different story. One which I will save for a future rant in Term Sounds Off.
    I wouldn't be too surprised to hear a fireman say " I think too many Cops are arrogant, obnoxious, lazy, anti-fire fighting, and jealous of the fire service but they do provide a vital service. It's probably all in friendly jest.

Now, a volunteer firefighter is a different story, as there are far more volunteer firefighters who are serving time or have served time in prison than LEO's. Your future sound off on the subject should prove interestng.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Firefighters...

364 days of the year they may be overpaid and lazy. But that ONE day when they run IN to a burning building when everyone else is running out, they more than earn their pay for the year.

If only you could pinpoint the day and time, you could save a fuck ton of money...I'd rather pay it, myself....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I could go either way.

They do a vital service, as it's been said.

BUT, they receive far too much praise than what they deserve. In terms of actual firefighting....what do they really save?? Anything that isn't already burnt, or smoke damaged, is water damaged, therefore destroyed. I was at a house fire a couple weeks ago, and the fire was on the second story. Not only was the second story destroyed by fire, but the entire first story was destroyed by water. It would have been nice to see some pre-attack salvaging done BEFORE putting water on the fire to try and save some of the family's belongings.

But anyway, yeah they're good guys, but for crying out loud they can't walk on water.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I think there are pricks in all professions, LEO, FIRE, EMS, etc. There are good and bad.

I respect everything a fireman/woman and EMT'S/Paramedics do. You also have to remember a lot of them work a 24 hr shift so in my eyes, if they put in a few hours of training/labor etc. at the station and shag calls, its all good. There are nights that I sit in a cruiser and only have a couple hours of work and drive around the rest of the time on the hunt, so there is a lot of down time for us too (So does that make us lazy.... HELL NO)
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    Depends what part of the country you are in. In NYC, we obviously have a representation/cross-section of society in the FDNY and NYPD. Hence, we have jerk offs in both services. Many cops have crossed over to the fire department for a better schedule and work conditions. Not many if any at all cross over to the NYPD from FDNY.

There is always some sort of "Battle of the Badges" that occurs from time to time that is usually started by one of those jerk-offs. But if my house was on fire, or a serious accident occured and FD was first on the scene, I would be eternally grateful if they saved my family, just as much as they would be, if I caught a rapist or burglar who victimized their family. Its up to the surrounding "good guys" to keep one of their own in check. Courtesy and professionalism goes a long way.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I love firemen! I have utmost respect for everyone in their field and ours!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I think you'd be surprised at the number of cops that are also ff's. Seems like a large number of Iowa cops are also vollie ff's, me included.

Yes there are some douchebag firefighters, but there are doucehbags in EVERY profession in the world.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Thread Information