Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Whats up with the Brits

From the Independant

The threat of global warming is so great that campaigners were justified in causing more than £35,000 worth of damage to a coal-fired power station, a jury decided yesterday. In a verdict that will have shocked ministers and energy companies the jury at Maidstone Crown Court cleared six Greenpeace activists of criminal damage.

Jurors accepted defence arguments that the six had a "lawful excuse" to damage property at Kingsnorth power station in Kent to prevent even greater damage caused by climate change. The defence of "lawful excuse" under the Criminal Damage Act 1971 allows damage to be caused to property to prevent even greater damage – such as breaking down the door of a burning house to tackle a fire.
    The not-guilty verdict, delivered after two days and greeted with cheers in the courtroom, raises the stakes for the most pressing issue on Britain's green agenda and could encourage further direct action.
    ============================== ============================

But let some poor slob defend his home and they will throw him in the goal and lose the key. Hey whats up with you folks over there. There has to be something in their water, because the beer sucks.
    Last edited by bayern; 09-14-08 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correct spelling

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    But let some poor slob defend his home and they will throw him in the goal and lose the key. Hey whats up with you folks over there. There has to be something in their water, because the beer sucks.
    I don't know, maybe they are too close to France?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    A jury is made up of members of the public they are intrinsically stupid here lies the problem.

I believe the judge who advised them has made a mistake as to the law in relation to this daubing paint over something is not mentioned in lawful excuse case law. If they had stopped coal trains or sprayed water on fossil fuels then maybe but just painting a building

I might take some direct action next time I attend a call rather than refering it to the prosecutors and courts.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's a jury!
    Must have had a bunch of tree huggers on it.
    Probably got rid of any jurors wearing leather or ordering a bacon sandwich in the canteen before the trial!
    I dread jury trials as even when the evidence is clear, to most sane men anyway, they still reach the strangest of decisions.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    If you think that's messed up, it sounds like Britain now recognizes Sharia Law in their court system.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4749183.ece
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    [quote=gopherpuckfan;385389]If you think that's messed up, it sounds like Britain now recognizes Sharia Law in their court system. quote]

As I understand it, some Rabbinical Courts in large Jewish Communities in the US (NY for instance) are recognized in civil cases if both parties are Jewish and request it.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    [quote=Standard Dave;385073]A jury is made up of members of the public they are intrinsically stupid here lies the problem.

I believe the judge who advised them has made a mistake as to the law in relation to this daubing paint over something is not mentioned in lawful excuse case law. If they had stopped coal trains or sprayed water on fossil fuels then maybe but just painting a building

+ 1 this not lawful excuse.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Thread Information