Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Rosetta Stone?

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Rosetta Stone?

Have any of you used the program to learn another language? If so, what language...and did it work well for you? I'm going to be attacking Russian here shortly and if it works well, then will take on Spanish and Arabic. (What can I say...I'm an over-achiever.) Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I used units 1 and 2 for Spanish..I was already fairly fluent (probably a 3-5 out of 10), but it really helped me build my vocabulary skills and also took some of the rust off (I hadn't spoken much in about 8 years or so). That being said, there is no substitute for actual human conversation in another language. I'm taking a Conversational Spanish class at the local community college one night a week and it's already helping me in more ways than the Rosetta Stone ever did. The level of competence you will get from Rosetta Stone isn't remotely close to anything that would let you talk to someone in a different language, beyond asking a bunch of canned "school" phrases ("Donde esta la bibioteca? El queso es viejo."). It sounds obvious, but I'll say it anyway: the key to speaking another language is to be able to stop thinking "Ok..I want to say 'book'...what's the spanish word for 'book?' " It's to be able to think in the other language and turn off English in your brain. When I'm watching the nightly news in spanish (which is hard as hell), I'm trying to train my brain to think in Spanish. Real conversational speed of any language is way too fast to allow one to try to translate in the brain.

So, in conclusion, the Rosetta Stone is better than nothing, but for that much money, you can get better training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Verified LEO
    Thanks! Luckily my father-in-law has the programs and is letting me borrow them, so I'm not forking out the money myself! That helps a lot. Based on what you're saying, though, perhaps I'll do the courses and then enroll in a college class to get things more concrete. We get free courses here at the community college if they have seats open, so I'll just go that route!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    that's a pretty good plan, if you ask me. Good you don't have to shell out the cash...I was lucky enough to find some British company who sold used programs. Instead of $350, it cost me $60. iBuena suerte! Si usted tiene preguntas, siempre estoy aqui en O/R, y voy a tratar de responder a sus preguntas de espanol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I'm going to be attacking Russian here shortly

Verified LEO
    hehehe Jenna, you crack me up.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

Thread Information