Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Who won the first Presidential Debate?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • McCain

14 70.00%
  • Obama

3 15.00%
  • Toss up

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Question First Presidential Debate

Here are my initial thoughs. There is still a lot of material to digest, and I will fill in more as I collect my thoughts. Everyone feel free to do the same. So here goes:

I heard Obama say that he agrees with McCain 8 times. I felt like McCain delivered some good body blows, but there were no knock out punches. McCain ate his lunch on spending and earmarks though. I felt that every time that McCain led the discussion that Obama fed off his answers. I didn't get that impression with McCain. Obama still can't admit the surge was an amazing success. I can't believe McCain didn't pounce on Obama saying that people don't look at the U.S. the same way they did when his dad came to college here. Last I checked they are still lining up to get here. Not to many people are tripping over themselves to get out.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Being as objective as I can, I thought this was a good debate, which McCain won.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I thought McCain made a minor mistake when he said he would freeze all spending and Obama got in a good zinger saying McCain would be "using a hatchet when a scalpel is needed." But overall, in terms of substance, both got their messages across and neither made major mistakes. In terms of style, McCain came across as more condescending (smirking, not making eye contact with Obama, calling Obama naive, claiming Obama didn't understand things, and sometimes not letting Obama get a response in when time was running out) while Obama seemed more polite (saying McCain was right many times, occasionally looking at McCain, and letting it go rather than insisting on getting one last word).

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    In terms of style, McCain came across as more condescending (smirking, not making eye contact with Obama, calling Obama naive, claiming Obama didn't understand things, and sometimes not letting Obama get a response in when time was running out) while Obama seemed more polite (saying McCain was right on some things, occasionally looking at McCain, and letting it go rather than insisting on getting one last word).
    I can see you're okay with being a blind sheep who doesn't favor impartiality. Obama repeatedly smirked, and laughed while McCain was responding. He also rarely made eye contact. Obama repeatedly interrupted McCain while he was speaking, and went over his allotted time.

I'm okay with you believing Obama won the debate, even though I disagree. But those kind of statements are complete political horseshit. Were you watching the same debate, or did you watch a bootleg copy of it from the Democratic Spin Center?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I can see you're okay with being a blind sheep who doesn't favor impartiality. Obama repeatedly smirked, and laughed while McCain was responding. He also rarely made eye contact. Obama repeatedly interrupted McCain while he was speaking, and went over his allotted time.

Were you watching the same debate, or did you watch a bootleg copy of it from the Democratic Spin Center?
    Maybe Obama talks the way I'm used to talking so it seems normal to me, and McCain talks the way you're used to talking so it seems normal to you.

Maybe Obama talks the way I'm used to talking so it seems normal to me, and McCain talks the way you're used to talking so it seems normal to you.
    So in otherwords, it's okay when Obama does it. Gotcha.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    So in otherwords, it's okay when Obama does it. Gotcha.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Obama tried to come across ac confident, but it came off as arrogance. In my opinion, he's going down faster than a shot of whisky at a Kennedy family reunion!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    In the closing minutes of the debate McCain clinched the debate when he said, "I don't need on the job training, I'm prepared to lead now!!
    IMO, the big issue in the upcoming election will be, which candidate is best qualified to lead this country, a conservative, senior senator with 26 years of bipartisanship experience or a liberal, inexperienced junior senator with less than 4 years of experience.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I didn't get to watch any of it. I was stuck on a homicide.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I missed it all too......damn busy tonight at work.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    I missed it all too......damn busy tonight at work.
    Same here.. Its warmer this weekend then the last couple.. I haven't seen a single jacket on. Its wierd since its the end of the month. Welfare checks don't normally come out until the 1st
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I started watching it biased, and I couldn't help it. Just the site of Nobama makes me cringe, let alone the thought of him as President.

Listening to him speak, and the lack of respect he showed McCain sinched my decision. Granted I was going to vote McCain anyways.
    Sadly, I feel asleep half way through holding my friends daughter, so I didn't get to watch it all. I did wake up in time to watch the after debate debate on PBS and lauged a few times.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I don't really watch debates with the intent on picking a winner or a loser..just wanted to see both guys answer the same questions so I can know for sure who stands where on what issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This poll is shaping up a lot like The Drudge Report poll:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

That poll has over 291,000 votes.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Most other polls say both candidates did well but Obama won.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/...iref=hpmostpop

I think it really depends on the population polled. It's hard for anyone to overcome ideological bias and judge the debate as if they're not already favoring a candidate, and also people whose personal interaction styles are more similar to Obama's (younger and/or nerdier) are more likely to favor Obama, while people whose personal interaction styles are more similar to McCain's (older and/or tougher) are more likely to favor McCain.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Jenna, those are left-wing liberal biased polls. Unless they say something good about McCain. Then they're OK...until they point out a McCain flaw. Then they're back to being left-wingly biased. Geez......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I tried watching it but couldn't make it 30 seconds of listening to that jackass talk.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Good Grief Jenna, don't you know that CNN is an acronym for the Communist News Network.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    I was unable to watch or listen to the debate due to work. Based on the what the news and talk shows said it seems to me that McCain came out on top, not by much, but was deemed the winner.

No doubt that the left wing media will smear him and declare No-Bama that winner.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information