Welcome to the APBWeb.
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

St. Paul (MN) K9 Unit on Animal Planet Tonight

Gonna have to set my DVR for this one

I highlighted a quote in red in the article. It echos something most cops in MN already know

http://www.twincities.com/ci_10603582

St. Paul cops' K-9 unit stars tonight in Animal Planet show
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 10/01/2008 12:12:52 AM CDT

K-9s fetch starring role

By Mara H. Gottfried
    mgottfried@pioneerpress.com

A dispatcher alerts St. Paul police to a car just stolen with a young girl inside. Officer Brady Harrison and his K-9 partner, Sully, both react.
    "Oh, my God," Harrison says. He activates his emergency lights and sirens.
    Excited, Sully starts whining and is "ready for action," says the narrator of a new Animal Planet show, "K9 Cops," that features the St. Paul police K-9 unit and premieres tonight at 9.
    Animal Planet "discovered" the St. Paul K-9 unit several years ago when a production company was filming the unit and others at a national K-9 championship. A documentary aired on Animal Planet in 2004.
    "It was very clear that the St. Paul police K-9 unit was one of the most elite in the country," said Erin Wanner, an Animal Planet executive producer.
    The cable network has had success with a show called "Animal Cops," which follows officers helping abused or mistreated animals, but didn't have a show about police dogs, Wanner said. Now, Granada Anglia, which worked on the documentary, is producing "K9 Cops" for Animal Planet.
    "It's such a unique job for dogs to help protect civilians and officers and arrest dangerous suspects, we knew there would be lots of great stories to tell," Wanner said. All 15 episodes feature St. Paul's K-9s and their human partners. If the show does well, more episodes might follow, and the show could branch off to other cities, Wanner said.
    Though the K-9 unit does many public demonstrations each year, "people don't really get to actually see ... the value of the dogs on the street," said Sgt. Paul Dunnom, who heads St. Paul's K-9 unit.
    "The show is a great opportunity for us to showcase what we believe is a tremendous unit, what we do and what K-9s around the whole country, around the world, do on a daily basis," he said.
    Three camera and audio crews started shooting in May, and they'll be in town through at least November, Wanner said. Because the officers have shifts around the clock, Animal Planet wanted to have crews riding along with the officers at all hours of the day and night, Wanner said.
    The case of the vehicle stolen with the 5-year-old girl inside occurred May 30. The girl was sleeping in her father's truck when he went into the Liquor Barrel on West Seventh Street.
    The girl screamed, and the men threw her into a yard a few miles away. Two men were convicted in the case.
    "K9 Cops" shows Sully tracking one of the suspects but losing his scent at a house. Later, Harrison and Sully join a SWAT team, and a man is found at a house nearby.
    "It just kind of reaffirms that the dog was right on him the whole time," Harrison says on the first episode. "That night, Sully did a great job."
    The other officers and K-9s featured in the first episode are officer Jeremy Ryan and Ranger; officer Nicole Rasmussen, currently the only female of the department's 22 K-9 handlers, and Chase; and officer Bob Edwards and Rico, who was shot last October while chasing a suspect but is back to work. Different officers will be featured in upcoming episodes.
    The first episode includes vehicle chases and fleeing suspects, a drug search and a report of a suicidal teenager with a gun. It's not all dramatic some footage shows the officers and K-9s at home.
    Dunnom said he hopes the show will correct some public misconceptions, including that K-9s are vicious dogs.
    "In reality, they're highly trained dogs," he said. "When they're not working, they're like many other dogs in that they go home and relax and live a dog's life."
    The officers were mostly excited about the show, Dunnom said. Some were a little camera-shy at first, but they've become more comfortable over the months, he said. The show carries a warning: "Due to the graphic nature of this program viewer discretion is advised."
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Damn! I don't have cable
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    just turned it on.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Damn! I don't have cable
    nor do I that sucks. looks like its going to be a great show

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I think its gonna be a great hit.
    I personally loved the show. My wife actually for once got to see how the K9 Units work with the Road Patrol Units.
    Every wednesday at 22:00. Looking forward to next wednesday now
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I loved it!

A guy I work with is getting a K-9 for us next year, and has been in contact with St. Paul for a few months now. He recognized a few people on the show. Very cool!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Missed it, will try to catch it next week.

In case you missed it too, here is some info about the show and the episode guide from the Animal Planet website (I thought maybe you could view recent shows on it, but no such luck)

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/k9-cops/

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I thought it was a great episode! I remember the night the truck was stolen and the little girl was tossed out of the truck by the suspects. It happened just over the river from my area. Also, the officer in the last segment that initiated the pursuit used to work with me at the airport when we were both CSO's.

I'm also looking forward to the next 14 episodes!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    It must be nice to work in a department with well trained dogs and handlers. Our dog and handler are both worthless pieces of crap! 6 months on the street and ZERO drug arrests. The dog once failed to hit on A BURNING JOINT LEFT IN THE ASHTRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    It must be nice to work in a department with well trained dogs and handlers. Our dog and handler are both worthless pieces of crap! 6 months on the street and ZERO drug arrests. The dog once failed to hit on A BURNING JOINT LEFT IN THE ASHTRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But maybe they make up for it by being cute!

Thread Information