Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: towing question

carramrod is offline Rookie

towing question

I have to move my girlfriends car 900+ miles.
    Daytona Beach to Baltimore.

Which would you use? A dolly or a full trailer. The full trailer cost about $150 more to rent. We will be using a u-haul truck as the towing vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A full trailer is always going to be better for the car over that length of a tow.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dolly unless it is a really nice car. In that case have it shipped by a car moving company.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm a car guy and always go with the full trailer when needed, much better for the car...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Depends on the vehicle. I towed my Honda CRX from Houston to San Diego using the dolly style with no problems. It was manual transmission.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

well its no show car, a '93 accord. i was reading on the u haul website and it doesnt recomend the dolly for long distance or highway speed. has anybody used a dolly on the highway? i'll be on I95, where the average flow of traffic is 65-75 mph.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Like I said, long distance or freeway speed - trailer it.

Your call on nice car/not nice car, but if it is the only car you got, trailer the sonofabitch.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We had a dolly for use behind the motorhome. It served the purpose, but within a couple years my father went to a four wheel down tow system. The dolly in my opinion is harder on the car due to the ride it sustains, as well as turning, etc.

We have a tandem axle trailer to tow the race cars and it's so much nicer to drive it on, strap it down and head down the road. With the trailer we pull over a few miles down the road, check the straps once and head out. With the dolly we were constantly stopping to check the wheel net/straps and make sure the safety chains were still in place. The dolly is also impossible to back up if you're in a pinch. Find yourself in a position where you need to back up with a dolly and that 150 extra won't seem too bad. Too many times if we ended up in a pinch you would have to unload the car, unhook the dolly, back the tow vehicle around, hook the dolly up, reload the car, check the straps down the road, etc etc.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by carramrod View Post
    I have to move my girlfriends car 900+ miles.
    Daytona Beach to Baltimore.

Which would you use? A dolly or a full trailer. The full trailer cost about $150 more to rent. We will be using a u-haul truck as the towing vehicle.
    Kinda funny the difference in replys between here and SBN huh. I didn't reply there, but I'd trailer the car. I've never trusted dollys for long trips. Just can't get comfy with them. Good luck.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Hire some bum to drive it there for you.

Have you compared the price to have it shipped vs renting a trailer? The van/truck you will be pulling it with will obviously use more fuel pulling anything.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I dollied my Dad's buick about 550 miles behind a U-haul truck at freeway speeds. No problems as the front wheel drive portion was up on the dolly and the non drive rear wheels were on the ground. As I remember it was a late 90's Buick.

Up to you dude, but my experience was ok on the dolly.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Here's another vote for a full trailer...or, like someone said above, have someone you know drive it there for you. Out of curiosity, why can't you drive the U-Haul and have your girl drive her car?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Your car is front wheel drive so the dolly will work fine for you. What you don't want to do is ever tow a rear wheel drive vehicle from the front. Unless you first drop the drive shaft of course.
    The the full U-Haul car trailers are fairly light weight however so If I were you I would go that route. They are much better at higher speeds even though, for U-Hauls liability they say not to exceed 45mph, you will be fine at 60.

Have fun.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    why can't you drive the U-Haul and have your girl drive her car?
    30mpg est / 900 miles = 30 gallons of gas @ est $3.40 per gal = $102.00. vs $150.00 for trailer + extra fuel for U-Haul to pull trailer.......

Have her drive it does sound like a better deal to me.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    If it were up to me, I would have her drive it. Unless she is afraid of driving long distances. I presume the two of you can figure out a communication system on when to stop for fuel, eats, etc. Have the U-haul as the lead vehicle. Unless you don't feel that the car can make the trip on its own. Otherwise trailer it.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Couple of thoughts...

Is it worth moving the car? If so -- why not drive it? Among other things, unless you're going to do 900 miles in one day (long day... 15 or so hours, plus stops and traffic issues), you're going to have to stop. It's a bitch if the only vehicle you've got is the move-it-yourself truck and you want some dinner or something... Pulling her car off the dolly or trailer would still be a pain.

If it's not going to survive the drive -- is it really worth moving the car? Do you want a problem in the middle of the trip? You'd still be looking at $300 to $400 to tow it -- and then have to replace it in 6 months anyway...

If you do have to tow it -- I'd go with the trailer. Least stress on the car; least amount to go wrong. No worries about the car slipping off the dolly, or going splat if the hitch somehow fails.

(Yeah... did a lot of this math a few years ago when I got married. We decided to sell my wife's car there, use the proceeds to reduce the moving costs, and got a new car a few months down the road. But I have a take home that I can use pretty much 24/7 unless I go out of town, too, so she just took my car.)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    Kinda funny the difference in replys between here and SBN huh. I didn't reply there, but I'd trailer the car. I've never trusted dollys for long trips. Just can't get comfy with them. Good luck.
    your on sbn ?

we will be trailering it
    dont wanna drive it at this point unless it gets a look over by a mechanic.
    the transmission slips a little
    the front brake pads are about done and it has a warped rotor

Thread Information