Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Winners never quit, quitters never win

ok so after 16 years of smoking I decided to quit last Tuesday. I went from about a pack 1/2 a day to only 4 cigs in the last week and I am ready to rip someones head off now =) so for all those that have quit already what are some things that work and that don't work? i.e gum, the patch, (following smokers around and sniffing the sweet smell of smoke off them argg that probably wont help).

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    stay strong, baby! I have had a very light smoking habit for a few years now and am down to a pack a week. Probably never going to kill me, but something I want to get rid of nonetheless. I've conquered snuff for 2+ years now...I guess all I can suggest is willpower, but I know for me it only goes so far! A lot of my former dipping habit centered around "ritual". Wake up - dip. Eat - dip. Get done running - dip. Maybe try to make a conscious effort to so something ritualistic in place of smokes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    stay strong, baby! I have had a very light smoking habit for a few years now and am down to a pack a week. Probably never going to kill me, but something I want to get rid of nonetheless. I've conquered snuff for 2+ years now...I guess all I can suggest is willpower, but I know for me it only goes so far! A lot of my former dipping habit centered around "ritual". Wake up - dip. Eat - dip. Get done running - dip. Maybe try to make a conscious effort to so something ritualistic in place of smokes?
    I'm trying to quit chewing right now myself.

So far I've made it....about 15 minutes.

I know, terrible. I've tried quitting a couple times, but eventually I get so hostile and pissy I begin to hate myself, so I can only imagine how the people around me feel.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TacticalII is offline Member
    Verified LEO
    I dipped a can of Copenhagen a day for about 11 years. I've been snuff free for 14 months. I also smoked a pack a day for a few years. I've been smoke free for about 6 months. For me, it was deciding that "I" was ready to quit, not my wife wanting me to, or my mom still nagging me about it. Every once in a great while (usually after a good meal) I'll crave a dip. The hardest is not bumming a smoke after work when everyone is standing around BS'ing.
    I don't miss spending almost $6 on a can of snuff that lasted me 24 hours........30 days x $6 =$180 extra a month I get to spend on guns and ammo!!!!!!!!!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i quit chew a few years ago. for me that was easy. but then i chewed the most when i was in the garage working on my car. once i moved to and apartment i no longer had a garage to chew in lol that and the old lady wouldnt kiss me anymore lol lol. yea i figured i was spending like 230 bux a month on smokes i just cant justify it anymore. That and we are doing defensive tactics at school now and my lungs are giving out on me way before my muscles are.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I used to smoke 1 to 1 1/2 pack of cigs a day. Oct 1995 I decided to quit. I quit cold turkey. I did use flavored sun flower seeds to help and I will say to this day 13 years later I am addicted to nacho cheese sunflower seeds.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYBIRD33081 View Post
    that and the old lady wouldnt kiss me anymore lol lol.
    I don't understand your problem....??
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Good for you!!!!
    Arm the sheep!

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    8 years ago, I quit smoking. How? I started dipping. 2 years ago I finally quit that by eating a shitload of sunflower seeds.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

KSCop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    The wife smoked for 20+ years....got tired of it and had the Doc prescribe Chantix....hasn't had and hasn't wanted a cigarette for 7 months now. It also curbed her attitude....thanks Doc!!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    In the case of smoking, quitters always win! Good luck!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Good for you , Jay. I found that the cravings for a cigarette were intense for the first two weeks, and every day after they were less and less. Don't forget to exercise because the weight will sneak up on you.If practical, when every you can , and you get the urge, do a set of push-ups or sit-ups. I know you can do it, your going to feel so much better.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Keep up the good work. Although difficult, your body (and bank account) will thank you once that tough task is completed!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Stay away from alcohol. It forces the nicotine out of your system. If you have recently started "quiting" it will cause you to have strong cravings and you will loose your drive to quit when around other smokers that frequent a social drinking scene. I quit smoking and dipping. I can't stand the smell of smoke know. You are spot on when you said this was YOUR decision. YOU are the only one that can make this happen. The physical addiction to nicotine last about seven days. The pyscological addiction doesn't start to deteriate until about a month. Good luck and remember you are adding years to your life.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYBIRD33081 View Post
    ok so after 16 years of smoking I decided to quit last Tuesday. I went from about a pack 1/2 a day to only 4 cigs in the last week and I am ready to rip someones head off now =) so for all those that have quit already what are some things that work and that don't work? i.e gum, the patch, (following smokers around and sniffing the sweet smell of smoke off them argg that probably wont help).
    I quit about 5 years ago, successfully after a couple of attempts. I smoked over 2 packs a day, did try to cut back a few times but always went back to the chain smoking. Finally put my mind to it and I will tell you iIt was one of the hardest things I ever did. To this day the only thing that stops me from picking up a cigarette again is the thought of having to go thru the quit again. Getting thru the first few weeks is the toughest, the first week is referred to as hell week, the 2nd, heck week. Withdrawing from nicotine is no joke, at times I thought I was losing my mind, well the little of it that I had left. You not only have physical withdrawals but mental ones as well, I was obsessed with trying not to smoke. The obsession lightens up as well as the crave for the cigarette, but every once in a while I still have the urge to light up.

Do what ever works for you, gum, ice, sunflower seeds, keeping a straw handy or fake cigarette. The best for me was a strong gum, like Ice, I popped a piece in my mouth in lieu of the cigarette. I used to light up after I left a store or got in to my car, all habitual things, the gum replaced that. You can check out Quitnet.com, there are a few forums on that site that may help you get thru your quit as well.

Good luck!

http://www6.quitnet.com/index.jtml?

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I smoked 1/2 to 3/4 a pack for 8 years. Quit in 1990. What made me quit? I saw my dad die from the after effects of over 40 years of smoking the damned things. I did not want to go down that same road. I fully believe that my dad would still be alive now had he not smoked. Even at the age of 84 now. He was 66 when he passed.

It really is a mind over matter thing. You have to do it for yourself. You have to be the one to make up your mind and do it. Sure I was a bear and hard to deal with, but once you get past the first month it gets easier. No amount of encouragement from others can do it for you. You may have to change your habits and possibly your friends if they choose to light up around you. The smell of cigarettes was the worst for me. Made me want to light up every time. Think of all the money you will be saving by quitting. What are cigarettes up to now, $3.50 to $4.00 a pack? Maybe a little less for the cheap stuff?

The Nicorette gum helped me somewhat lessen the effects but that was when it was new and obviously by prescription only. It may have been stronger back then. Who knows?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thanks for all your support on here. i knew i could count on you guys. lol my roomate and friends all of whom smoke all say " oh you will be back on camels by the end of the week" its like gee thanks guys. lol just in the last week its already saved me over $30. I was at walgreens yesterday and was gonna buy some of that nicoret gum but i just got some regular bubble gum instead i figured if i can keep my mouth busy it will be enough. Its funny though even though i just quit I now can smell smoke alot more. LOL i swear everything i own, clothes, truck, apartment just stink all to hell lol

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I had a 2 1/2 pach a day habit had my last cigarette while my wife was registering me into the hospital for a stroke To help me my doctor prescribed xanax for my nerves to take the edge off. haven't smoked since.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was a chain smoker...3 packs day.....tried the "cutting back" routine...it never worked....just put them down during sn illness... I had to decide if I wanted to breathe R smoke.....I promised God that if I lived I would try to quit....being trying for 15 years...so far so good....I was concerned when I met Mavriktu that I would start again ( he STILL smokes)...but I didnt....I will even step out onto the patio with him and "have s smoke" once in a while.....I just never light the darn thing.....what worked for me was ....tootsie roll pops....then gum.....then sunflower seeds...now nothing.....

Good Luck!!!!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good luck to you - keep focusing on the reasons you want to quit. One of my friends used Chantix and had great success, but you have to find the method that will work best for you. Keep us updated on your progress!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information