Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO

"A Fireman's Life"

If you do NOT take the time to read this you are one of the PEOPL​E this post is TALKI​NG ABOUT​.​
    You stay up for 16 hours​. ​He's been up for 48 strai​ghtYou take a warm showe​r to help you wake up. The rain in the middl​e of the inter​state​ keeps​ him awake​.​You compl​ain of a "​heada​che"​,​ and call in sick.​ He's chill​ed to the bone,​ hasn'​t eaten​ all day, has the flu, and then runs into a burni​ng build​ing.​You drink​ your coffe​e on your way to the mall.​ He pumps​ on a five years​ olds chest​ on the way to the hospi​tal.​You make sure you'​re cell phone​ is in your pocke​t.​ He makes​ sure the pass devic​e on his pack is worki​ng.​You talk trash​ about​ your "​buddi​es"​ that aren'​t with you. He watch​es his buddy​ fall throu​gh four floor​s.​You walk down the beach​,​ stari​ng at all the prett​y girls​.​ He walks​ down the highw​ay looki​ng for the motor​cycli​sts missi​ng limb.​You compl​ain about​ how hot it is. He wears​ fifty​ pound​s of gear in the middl​e of July and drags​ a body out of 1600 degre​e flame​s.​You go out to lunch​,​ and compl​ain becau​se the resta​urant​ got your order​ wrong​.​ He hasn'​t seen a meal since​ last shift​ at break​fast.​Your maid makes​ your bed and washe​s your cloth​es.​ He's worn the same stink​ing,​ wet, grung​y cloth​es for the past 24 hours​.​.​.​.​no time for a showe​r.​You go to the mall and get your hair redon​e.​ He holds​ the hair of some colle​ge girl while​ she'​s pukin​g in the back of the ambul​ance.​You'​re angry​ becau​se your class​ ran 5 minut​es over.​ His shift​ ended​ 2 hours​ ago and he on for anoth​er 24 hours​ at a stati​on thirt​y miles​ away.​You call your girlf​riend​ and set a date for tonig​ht.​ He calls​ his girlf​riend​ to tell her he made it back alive​.​.​.​.​then leave​s abrup​tly for anoth​er fire.​You YELL and SCREA​M at the engin​e that just past you becau​se they SLOWE​D you down.​ He's in the back of the engin​e,​ going​ to cut someb​ody out of their​ car only to find out that their​ dead and their​ daugh​ter is barel​y alive​.​You roll your eyes as a baby cries​.​ He cries​ as he hears​ his new born cry in the hospi​tal.​.​.​.​but he was takin​g a drunk​ teena​ger in when his boy was born.​You criti​cize your FIRE DEPT.​ and say their​ never​ there​ quick​ enoug​h anywa​y.​ He blows​ the air horn while​ the perso​n in front​ of them REFUS​ES to MOVE while​ talki​ng on their​ cell phone​ and doing​ their​ makeu​p .You hear the JOKES​ about​ falle​n firef​ighte​rs and say they shoul​d have KNOWN​ BETTE​R.​ He feels​ the floor​ give way while​ he's carry​ing an old lady from her bedro​om and tosse​s on to the hard floor​ and falls​ into the unkno​wn.​You see the brigh​t light​s when you go by. He sees the broke​n bodie​s lying​ aroun​d the car.You are asked​ to go to the store​ by your paren​ts.​ You don'​t.​ He looks​ into buyin​g a bulle​t proof​ vest becau​se he has been shot at tryin​g to save the shoot​ing victi​ms life.
    ​You stay at home and watch​ TV. He takes​ his spare​ time to wash the wagon​,​ resto​ck the ambul​ance and maybe​ call his mothe​r to tell her not to worry​,​ he'​ll be home the next night​You crawl​ into your soft bed, with down pillo​ws,​ and get comfo​rtabl​e.​He tries​ to sleep​ on his sprin​g board​ bed but keeps​ getti​ng woken​ up by the gong and bell,​ ah, one hour of sleep​,​ it shoul​d due till tomor​row night​You sit there​ and judge​ him, sayin​g that its a waste​ of money​ to have them aroun​d.​ Garba​ge truck​ worke​rs make more than he does,​ but its NOT for the MONEY​,​ its for the peopl​e who DON'​T appre​ciate​ what he does. Hell, some of us do it for FREE.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    ​He's been up for 48 strai​ght

He's chill​ed to the bone,​ hasn'​t eaten​ all day,...

He hasn'​t seen a meal since​ last shift​ at break​fast.​

He's worn the same stink​ing,​ wet, grung​y cloth​es for the past 24 hours​.​.​.​.​no time for a shower.

He looks​ into buyin​g a bulle​t proof​ vest becau​se he has been shot at tryin​g to save the shoot​ing victi​ms life.

He tries​ to sleep​ on his sprin​g board​ bed but keeps​ getti​ng woken​ up by the gong and bell,​ ah, one hour of sleep​,​ it shoul​d due till tomor​row night
    ​​

I'm sorry I have to be the one to say this. No disrespect is intended. But I can't just let this one go......

I have never known a single firefighter (especially a volunteer) to:

-Be up for 48 strai​ght hours.
    They have lots of down time in general, which they can use to eat, sleep, work out, shower, shop, play sports, and much more.

- Not have eaten all day or since last shift. The last decent size city I worked for full-time had firefighters bragging about how busy they were....it was there 7th call in a 24 hour shift.

-Have worn the same stink​ing,​ wet, grung​y cloth​es for 24 hours​ because there is no time for a shower. Again, total horseshit. Most calls they go on are assisting with a wreck scene, or false alarms. Calls they can clear quick.

-Look​ into buyin​g a bulle​t proof​ vest becau​se he has been shot at tryin​g to save the shoot​ing victi​ms life. Fire and EMS won't get within 5 miles of a situation here without law enforcement securing the scene first.

He tries​ to sleep​ on his sprin​g board​ bed but keeps​ getti​ng woken​ up by the gong and bell,​ ah, one hour of sleep​,​ it shoul​d due till tomor​row night
    . I've never seen a fire department with poor sleeping conditions, nor where they only get one hour of sleep in a day.

I'm just calling it like I see it. Nothing personal. But save this overexagerrated pat on the back for Firehouse.com.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Sorry, I love firefighters, my brother was one and worked 48 hour shifts but Term is right there is a lot of down time and their beds are not that bad at the stations, Ive slept on them. There are exceptions to the rule but generally they put up with the same bullshit we do. only they are allowed to sleep on duty. granted sometimes it is broken sleep but not always. In the "good old days" cops took reports on everything and hand wrote those reports and still had time to patrol, cite,and stake out during a shift. Now they go from call to call, CSO's take the reports or they are called in or reported on the internet. The cops hardly have time to patrol their area. Now here where I live and worked the department won't respond to a burglary unless the perp is still there.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I agree with the above. Firefighters DO have hard jobs.

BUT, it's not like their laboring hard for their entire shift. I've ridden along with my local fire department before, and have been a volunteer firefighter.

Each time I'd ridden along with my local department (in college, before getting a cop job) we had plenty of down time. The day started with cleaning the station, top to bottom. Normally within 2 hours we were done. Then, a 4 hour (give or take) class. And the rest of the day, there was nothing. You could work out, read, watch tv, take on projects around the station, OR, one guy brought in a project from home (his sons car) to do repairs. One of the times I rode along the captain read an entire book through the shift. Our city averages 6 or so fire/rescue calls a day, +/-5. I can honestly tell you I've been there, done that. And that is what I've seen, on more than one occasion.

And regarding food, our FD (paid/full time/career firefighters) is known for their abundance of food, and large/lavish meals. The afternoon shift guys/girl on my dept. eat dinner at the fire station frequently because of the food they get from them. They maybe don't eat on time at some places, or have to break their dinner into two parts....but they eat. Plenty.

And it's true, there are some days where they don't get to lounge at all, because they are running calls all day long. But I don't remember ever getting the opportunity to go downstairs and work out during my shift. Or read a book. Or sit on my ass and watch a Howdy Doody marathon.

I'll give them this much, their job isn't easy. But, it's not THAT hard. Sure, lugging hose, carrying patients, lifting fat ass who have fallen and can't get up, climbing multiple flights of stairs, that's hard. But cooking/eating meals, watching tv, mopping/sweeping/vaccuuming the floors, doing odd jobs around the station, sleeping, reading books, voluntary exercise, that's not hard.

It may be different in places like Chicago, New York, LA, etc. But, 75% of the USA's fire departments are volunteer, meaning the vast majority have a low call frequency.

And like Term said, this is nothing personal against any firefighter, anywhere. I like 'em. I like the fire guys in the city I work for. I visit the station on my days off and shoot the shit, drink a pop with them, have dinner or breakfast with them, whatever. One time they helped me out in a fight. They ARE good people, no doubt about it.

My information is based on riding along (5 times) and working beside (3 yrs) a fire department of 25 career/paid firefighters in a city of about 30,000 people, and in my experiences (3 yrs) as a member of a volunteer fire department and rescue squad in a rural/farming community, and I approve this message.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I also agree with the above statements, while I respect the job firefighters do and appreciate the fact that on a major call their lives are in jeopardy, they are much less in the line of "fire" (no pun intended) than cops. I have and have had family members in both professions and was a detention deputy myself and I know the difference between the dangers faced by all.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have heard of EMS in cities like Philly getting body armor. Numerous incidents of the suspect returning to the scene and shooting at the EMS prompted that. Outside of a few major metropolitan areas though I've never heard of it happening. Our EMS will stage a few blocks away and wait for us to get the cat out of the tree for them and then they roll in.

I concur with everyone else on the BS factor. I drive by our stations here and see them outside playing volleyball and grilling steaks for dinner.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Mike Dimone is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I agree with all of the above.. Although a Fireman's job might be tough cops across the country have it tougher.
    I am not trying to make this an us against them thing.I am just stating fact...
    I know a lot of cops that ran into burning buildings but how many Firemen have made a gun collar in their career.
    Just stating the truth....
    Stay Strong.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I will give one example: Approximately 1979,(yeah I know,you were probably a twinkle in your daddys eye )I was dispatched to a house fire,in those days if the fire dept went-you went,well of course I got there first and sure enough ,it was FLAMIN,I was approached by one of the residents that said they couldnt get "granny" out,second story,80 years old wheelchair bound.About that time Fire arrived,I told the Capt. and he said we will go get her as soon as we "suit up".I went in and found her upstairs,unconcious,(about 80 lbs at the most),scooped her up and went back down the stairs,(hey,I was a LOT stronger than).

As I came out what was left of the front door,coughing what was left of my lung up,I was met by a "firefighter" who wasn't allowed to go in cause he didn't have a "tank"(think it is the thing that holds the air,that I was gasping for),anyway I hand him "granny" ,and proceed ,coughing and spitting,to my unit(patrol car),turn on the a/c and breathe a little ,while reaching for a cigarette.

All in all it went well and as "usual",as that was the way they worked.I went on (after the cig) to direct traffic,and help out.,The fire dept. was able to save the dirt,"granny" was livid that a man entered her bedroom(after the ambulance gave her oxygen),and the next day the local rag had a pic of a "volunteer" fireman "saving" the old witch,.

I went on that night to finish my shift,unable to take a shower,or shuck the smell,as I recall I made a DUI arrest and the perp complained about my smell.

The good news is that I dont care,I and my God KNOW what I did,that IS what matters,also ,the "volunteer" is today the chief of that Dept. and has turned it into one of the finest in the state.

I did not post this for self gratitude ,but to point out that cops have a tendedcy(sp) to do really stupid stuff sometime compared to fire fighters.Do we need better training.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Wow, perhaps I'm one of the few who believe we're on the same team. Yeah, I've met my share of knuckle-headed hose draggers, but I've met just as many doorknobs who wear badges, too. I know in my department, we're now going call to call, but there's thousands of police departments across the nation who have plenty of "down time". I'm not going to slam them just because my city has become a sucking vortex.

There are fire departments in areas prone to huge brush fires (or providing mutual aid to same). Those are the guys & gals who are on the fire lines days on end, sometimes hundreds of miles away from their home city. During "fire season", vacations / days off get cancelled so that the stations get coverage, sometimes with hours notice. Sure, I've teased my fire buddies about getting paid to sleep, but in reality, they don't sleep much in my city. Yes, they have down time, but they aren't at home with their families either. And yes, even EMS gets shot at.

I'm lucky our fire department has good folks & they look out for us. My guys even brought me home-cooked meals on the numerous days when I got dragged into dispatch for a six-hour stint after my regular 12-hour patrol shift (lucky me, fire headquarters is right next to the PD).

All of us in public safety have crappy parts of the job. Admittedly, you probably won't hear about some scumbag doing a drive-by on a firefighter's house, but it doesn't mean you can't be on good terms with your local fire department. Who knows what could happen if you took the time to open the door in that wall you've built....
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    Wow, perhaps I'm one of the few who believe we're on the same team.

Or one of the few who's never had to work with a bunch of moron volunteer firefighters, or paid firefighters who despise cops.

Verified LEO
    You know something,
    I didnt post this to make a certain point, nor did i post this to say the Police are better than FireFighters.
    I posted this for the mere fact that i thought it made sense, and that "I" liked it!
    I often hear people bitching about this, or that, but they really do not have any idea what really goes on behind the scene. OK, the story was about firefighters, and wasnt about police. OOpss, sorry if i offended anyone, If i seen one that had the same reflection as police, i would have posted it up as well.

I have been, and still am on both sides of public service. I enjoy fighting fires, ect.. Its something that i enjoy doing and furthermore is rewarding. I hear Officers bitching all the time about the firefighters getting paid to sleep. It iritaes the fuck out of me, when i hear it. To me, its called jealousy. If you bitch because firefighters sleep, because they do work 24 hour shifts, then become a firefighter, and enjoy the same benefit. Most police officers work the average 8-10 hour day. Not 24 hours a day. You cant tell me, that you could work a 24 hour day, as a police officer and still be in the same state of mind as when you started your shift. Firefighters are no different, thats why they get to lay there head down for a few hours.

To me, that story reflected something about the general public, not LE.
    It is true, how often do you see people shopping, enjoying themselves with there families ect.. yet " WE ", meaning firefighters, and LE work on weekends, work on holidays, work when the roads have 3 inches of ice on them, work when a tornado just tore up the town, work when a hurricane just swallowed the town, ect... Do we have to do it, is someone making us do it, no, we could easily find another job, and work mon- fri, weekends off, holidays off, but we dont, do we. We do it because we LOVE IT. we know doing this shit we are not going to get rich. Some of you guys make better wages then others ect. Its a chioce "You" made, "I" made, and "He, and She" made. Someone has to do the work, and i can proudly say that i Love Doing it.

Ok, carry on, rant off!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I have a brother-in-law who is a firefighter. I really like the firefighters in my small town. They do good work and I like all of them. They have a hard job, too, sometimes.

HOWEVER, have you ever heard a rap song singing, "FUCK THE FIREFIGHTERS'? No.

Are they stared down and hated for doing their job? No.

Are they cussed at, spit on, and fought with when they go on a call? No.

I have never heard a parent say, "Son, you better behave, or the fireman will get you!

Yes, I like the fire department. However, so does everyone else. They are loved for doing their job. We are hating for doing ours.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Or one of the few who's never had to work with a bunch of moron volunteer firefighters, or paid firefighters who despise cops.
    Add me to the list of few then.

I worked both areas for a long time. I still bust the hose-draggers chops when I can, but did so because I've been there, still hold a card and can still jump in a Scott pack and go in anytime I want to.

I've done the 48 hours without sleep. Done the not eating all day, wearing the same clothes, etc etc.

More times than not they do get to lounge, but it's the "not" that makes up for it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I also have to chime in about the hose-draggers here. Even working in a big city, I can't help but notice that our guys seem to have a a lot of time to:

1) Grill steaks
    2) Watch movies
    3) Enjoy their station's built-in gyms, pools, raquetball courtst, etc

The FD has a job to do, just like we do, but the whole "America's Hero" thing gets old.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post

The FD has a job to do, just like we do, but the whole "America's Hero" thing gets old.
    Now THAT is spot on. I get tired of the "look at me, I'm a fireman...YAY"
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Firefighters here have now been told they can't sleep at night, they've had the beds taken away and recliner chairs put in instead.
    However their union have complained that the chairs give them bad backs! Still at least they have a union.
    When I helped as an escort vehicle for the army during the last strike by the fire service, not the first time in recent history, I went to one call in a twelve hour shift. and the area was quite a well populated urban area.(not complaining easiest double time duty ever)
    We seem to have a much greater affinity with our ambulance service, who are completely seperate to fire here. The crews on the ambulance very often put up with the same if not more crap than us.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have a decent professional firefighting force here. They're good guys. But their quality of life at work is much better than mine is. Pure and simple. Yeah they have bad days but overall they have it much better than us.

If I wanted to be liked, I would have been a fireman.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    If I wanted to be liked, I would have been a fireman.
    Thank You!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    As I said earlier my Bro was a firefighter and Arson Investigator While he was in the Arson unit he made more felony arrests than most cops in town and he wasn't authorized a firearm by the F.D. After he was retired they started issuing. Plus I put my time in also as a firefighter in Groton Conn.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    There are good firefighters and there are bad firefighters, just as there are good Cops and there are bad Cops... it's Tit for Tat. A police officer puts his life on the line and faces danger every time he makes a stop and responds to a call. A firefighter puts his life on the line every time he answers an alarm and enters a burning structure. There are small town firefighters who crawl out on limbs of tall trees to save stranded cats and there are big city fire fighters who crawl out on ledges of tall buildings to save entrapped people.
    We're living in a world of peculiar and professional jealousies whereas there are probably some firefighters who dislike Cops just as there are there are probably some Cops who dislike firefighters. However, I hope and trust that the vast majority of Cops and firefighters alike would have a mutual respect and liking for one another, as both are performing a vital and needed service in saving lives and protecting property.
    I would add here, a firefighter's job is becoming increasingly more dangerous than it once was, due to poisonous gases and fumes generated by a vast array of burning chemicals and modern plastics which if breathed without a self contained breathing apparatus would either destroy a person's lungs or kill that person in a matter of seconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information