Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Motorcycle gear?

Ok guys, I'm looking for inexpensive motorcycle gear. I've got helmets, what I'm looking for is reflective vests, jackets, pants, gloves, things like that. Anyone have any tips on where I can find some? I'm looking for both Mr Ducky and I, Mr Ducky has already taken a spill thanks to an idiot bitch making a left directly in front of him. While he's ok aside from a little bit of road rash that his current jacket didn't protect him from, it was a wake-up call that we need real gear and not our standard winter wear leather jackets. His helmet took some scrape damage, as did his bike, but both are just cosmetic damage. Idiot Bitch decided that since he didn't hit her, he laid his bike down instead, that she didn't have to stick around for any kind of legal issues. I know the worst she would have gotten would have been a ticket for failure to yield right of way or something, but it would have been nice to see her get SOMETHING for causing my hubby to get hurt.

I've been checking eBay, and while I've got some good leads there, I'd like some input from those more experienced than I. We can't afford a lot right now, but whatever we get will be cheaper than a visit to the hospital.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Try Newenough.com they have some pretty good deals also take a look at Ironpony.com.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have nothing for you as far as where to get motorcycle gear, but I am so very glad that Mr. Ducky is alright!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Just picked up a jacket for hubby off eBay for $51 after shipping. It's a Power Trip, never worn. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...56#description

Yay!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Kate is offline Corporal
    Glad to hear Mr. Ducky is ok. There's not a chance I'd ever get on a bike again. I had a pretty nasty accident when I lived in North Carolina years ago. I spent a week in the hospital, broke my pelvic bone, dislocated my shoulder, have some nice scars and did spent some time in physical therapy.

You and your hubby please be safe on the bikes.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And remember 3 patches don't go well for scooters
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Not quite sure what '3 patches' means, but I'm avoiding any and all branding and insignia - other than my very own devil ducky, and maybe a transformers logo for Mr Ducky.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Ok guys, I'm looking for inexpensive motorcycle gear.
    Stop right there......

Get the best you can afford. You don't have to spend $1000 of a jacket BUT get quality gear.

LEATHER.....it's not just for S&M any more. Get a GOOD leather jacket with CE armor in the elbows and shoulders. Back armor/padding is a plus.

Get good leather full finger gloves w/ armor or padding. The longer "gauntlet" style gloves offer better protection.

Good boots are a must. Make sure they are over the ankle.

Leather pants with padding in the knees and ass are great. Although I don't have leather pants I'm looking for some.

Hopefully you wear a full face helmet. Yes they may be hot and you don't have the "open air" feel but the added protection is worth it.

I recently worked a motorcycle crash on a curvy mountain crash. He had a good leather jacket and full face helmet. He had leather gloves. He lowsided and hit a guardrail. His bike was totaled but he walked away from the crash. Although he was DUI, .14 BAC, and walked into jail he was very lucky. One of his gloves came off and he had roadrash on his hand. He had roadrash on his knee as he was wearing jeans. His helmet held up well as did his leather jacket. He had some bruising on his shoulder and hip area but no road rash.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Good One PGG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Not quite sure what '3 patches' means, but I'm avoiding any and all branding and insignia - other than my very own devil ducky, and maybe a transformers logo for Mr Ducky.
    Should we tell her?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll second the newenough.com suggestion.

I also shop ironpony.com and denniskirk.com - hell I can export my whole favorites file for "Motorcycle" to you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    CTR - Yes, you should tell her!

Darin - Inexpensive IS the best I can afford, but I don't mean 'cheap' when I say it. I am on the lookout for EVERYTHING right now, as I said earlier, I just scored a Power Trip jacket for hubby, and am in the process of bidding on a Fieldsheer jacket for myself. Both have elbow, shoulder and back padding, and while they're not leather, they're of those incredibly tough synthetic weaves that have been doing really well on the road. I like quality (ohhhh boy do I!) but my bank account insists on getting a good deal on it. I don't care if it's last year's design, or even the year before. Heck, one of my helmets is a hand-me-down from a friend of mine, but it's an HJC that's never seen anything harder than a bug smack. Yes, full face, because I like to preserve what little looks I have and the idea of taking a bug to the teeth makes me cringe. Gloves are eBay (or other site) doable as well, and the local shop has some decent ones at a decent price that fit me pretty well.

The outlay that I'm not going to be able to save much of anything on is the boots, as I ski through life and finding footwear that fits is a pain in the... well, foot. So no eBay possibility there for me. Honestly, pants may be a no-go online as well. *cringe*

I'm also on the lookout for reflectives. Damnit, I want to be SEEN with no pansy "I didn't know she was there" BS from the other driver. I'm liking 3M's reflective tapes. If I could, I'd look like the bicycling couple from Men in Black 2.

I love leather (dungeon or otherwise!) but for right now the kevlar-like weaves will have to suffice.

Maclean - I'm open for suggestions, so send away.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you want relfective, buy SOLAS tape.

You can get it at aerostich and elsewhere. Nothing else in the world like it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    If you want relfective, buy SOLAS tape.

You can get it at aerostich and elsewhere. Nothing else in the world like it.
    There's a boat shop about a mile from the house, I'll check and see if they've got some. Thanks!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What I think PGG is referring to is a Hells Angel 3 patch or full patch member.

Just look at the back of the vest of a Hells Angel member and you should see 3 distinct patches on a full fledged member. LEO's correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think they like scooters though, hence his comment. Harley Davidson (Hells Angels motorcycle of choice) doesn't make them either IIRC.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

krauty is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    www.newenough.com they are great to work with!

Make sure to check out the clearance, some great deals!

Verified LEO
    Ducky, you guys have taken the MSF course right? If not take it's money well spent.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dady, that's yet another thing that's in the works. We're DEFINITELY going to be taking it before we move up to real motorcycles.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Don't knock the scooters, I ride a Burgman and it'll run 100mph and crusie all day a 70. The scooter can get you hurt just as fast a motorcycle.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dadyswat, ours are 150cc little rice burners, and while yes, I can get mauled pretty badly on them (most crashes aren't at high speed anyway) I was excited / shocked that I got mine up to almost 70 last night. Going downhill. With no headwind. The only thing that I appreciate is that with being short I don't actually need a leg up to get on the damn thing, although I do have to tiptoe it when I'm at a stop. That, and it's an automatic. I think once I get the hang of this, I may be able to graduate up to something I have to shift.

I DID manage to score the Fieldsheer jacket for me, $46 after shipping.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Yamaha has a nice line with the Star series, I see they're coming out with a 950cc to fill the gap between the 650 and 1100. I'l have to give that some thought as it looks like a nice crusier, no crotch rockets for me.

Thread Information