Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Where did the Republicans go wrong? A CB Rant.

A Countybear Rant:

Where Did Republicans Go Wrong in 2008?

The smoke is finally clearing, leaving a sparse, but almost palpable haze across the battlefield that was the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election. The echoes of speeches, both of acceptance and concession, have faded, and the nation’s people poise themselves for their expectations of the coming months, while the parties and candidates either prepare to do business, or sit reeling in dizzy shock in the aftermath of perhaps one of the most substantial political re-alignments of the U.S. Government’s administration in the past 32 years. The people have spoken. Their choice made, and their faiths cast with their ballot.

Yes, they chose almost overwhelmingly Democratic Party candidates, in the executive and the legislative branches of government. Many are left incredulous at the choices made, but I believe that we must do more than simply wonder; we must decipher the language of the vote in order to better understand the voices of the people. They said much more than ‘yes’ to Obama and ‘no’ to McCain. They expressed dissatisfaction, and yes, even anger at the political machine in America. They voted for “change”, and not strictly in a particular government office, but in the way that our government and its leaders do business for them. But while they spoke in the larger sense to change our government’s leadership, they also spoke to separate and much more specific issues in life, as evidenced by many community and State initiatives, and what they said could serve as more of a guide to their true opinions as their vote for any candidate.

The people were not drawn to a specific, well-defined conservative Republican message.

Someone told the RNC that they had to fight a war of popularity; to reach out to make more people like them. That same school of thought told them that they could compromise and waver in order to capture a greater number of independents and Democrats who were hesitant to vote for Obama. They were wrong. People are not going to be drawn to a Republican candidate without a clear, conservative message. Conservatism is what literally defines the Republican Party and sets it apart. Moderates do not historically win elections when their own party is substantively unified by conservatism. The Republicans cannot seek votes outside of their own party without at least first galvanizing their own voter base, and even then, not by pandering to the middle. They must draw the middle to the right, not the opposite. Some 20% of traditionally conservative Republican voters chose Obama. That should speak volumes to the Republicans. All while they chased the middle, they lost a substantial segment of the very core of their own party. They forgot that liberals vote based on feelings, and conservatives vote on substance.

McCain was selected in the primaries, but failed to identify with the conservative core of the party. The McCain choice as RNC nominee was perhaps partially attributable to the concerted effort of switch-voting Democrats, who openly crossed over party lines during primaries to propel McCain into the nomination. This was because he was the most moderate of the RNC primary choices, and the Democrats knew he would have problems unifying conservatives. Truthfully that in itself is as much Republican’s own fault as a party by not motivating a larger turnout for those primaries to overwhelm the tampering. The Democrat primaries became a slugfest between the candidates, and the Republicans marveled and sat back, comfortable and overconfident that the Democrats would shred one another. What Republicans did not consider is, that this motivated a larger primary turnout, which served to get more of the Democratic Party voters involved in the process earlier. Combine this with the ‘historical’ nature of the possibility of electing the first African-American candidate in U.S. history, and the Democratic Party primaries buzzed with activity. The Republicans fought the war of apologetics and lost, because they spent too much time in ambiguity and ill definition. They remained on the defensive with the Democrats throughout the campaign, when they should have made no apology for knowing what is right with their message, and what is wrong with liberalism. The voters themselves struck hard lines in sending their own message of conservatism, in the votes of California on Proposition 8, banning official recognition of gay marriage, all while California went blue on the Presidential ballots. Arkansas voted to deny unmarried couples from adopting children, which cannot be classified as anything but a strongly conservative message. The Republicans became lost in a sea of poor definition and moderate concession, leaving core conservatives to wade through apathetically, hoping that perhaps a third party might bring about the conservative values they so dearly believe in. Republicans tried to solidify conservative grounds by bringing Palin onboard, but then threw her into simply echoing the same defensive rhetoric that McCain spewed. That is not how Palin was elected Governor of Alaska, and it is not how to win the presidency, either.

Michelle Bachman, a Republican Representative from Minnesota, gets it. During the race, she was unapologetic about being conservative, and ran on a straight, bedrock conservative platform. When she faced off with Chris Matthews on MSNBC’s “Hardball”, she actually had the nerve to say that Obama and company “may have anti-American views…” In spite of the immediate outpouring of funding to her opponents campaign, Bachman was victorious in her bid for re-election. She stood as a conservative, and won.

The Republicans allowed the Democrats to dictate the tone and content of the contest.

McCain and Palin both allowed the Democrats to set the pace of the election, staying off-balance and on the defensive by not directly assailing the platforms of the DNC, and spending too much time fending off criticisms by Obama and the Democrats. They allowed the Democrats to launch publicity campaigns attacking Palin’s ethics during her tenure as Governor, and even leverage investigations into “Joe the Plumber”, and concentrated on a defensive posture, rather than going on the offensive themselves with facts, figures, and historical data on what created the financial crisis and what Republicans could have, and would have done about issues most effecting the people.

When the Democrats made comparisons between McCain and Bush, McCain was ill advised to abandon Bush, and would have been far better served to begin count Bush successes, rather than responding by distancing himself. Risky? Certainly, it is granted that a Bush approval rating was low, but bear in mind that the Democratic majority Congress’ ratings were even much lower. A rough comparison certainly could have been made that while Bush was fighting an ‘unpopular’ war, Clinton wouldn’t fight while Americans were being terrorized both globally and at home. Certainly, there is the obvious legacy that Bush will leave behind -- that no significant terror activity has been allowed to victimize the American people at home since September 11th, 2001 – could have served as quite the bedrock for undeniable retort, and what did McCain have to lose, the election? But, what did the Republicans do? They ran. Rather than charging ahead into the facts of almost incessant Democrat filibusters and congress’ flat and repeated refusals to enact Bush and Republican initiatives to fend off much of what led to the financial crisis, we watched in amazement as we heard, “I’m not Bush”. No, Mr. McCain, you aren’t, Bush would have fought. He might have lost, but he’d have gone down swinging.

By saying this, I am certainly not questioning McCain’s individual courage, for that is a given, especially given his heroic history. I more believe that McCain’s own patriotic foundation was certainly a firm one to have planted a flag on, yet the RNC allowed the Democrats to keep McCain so busy defending he and Palin that the only flag he seemed to hoist was a white one.

The Republicans remained gun-shy of the race card throughout the campaign.

It played perfectly into the hands of the Democrats, in that they held the card and never even had to lay it on the table. They allowed the public to assume the role of ‘champions of racial equity’, and whisk away any chance of a Republican victory based on where the Democrats were weakest, on substance of platform. Race, albeit a facet of the election, should never have been allowed to be the caveat of it, yet the Democrats were allowed to make it so by default. I use the term ‘by default’ because of the implied guilt-nature Republicans victimized themselves with. Republicans refused to directly assail the most obvious flaws of liberalism and left-think, (which were obvious by the fears of Republican’s own constituency), and that Obama’s platform was plagued with fat government intrusion into individual liberties, personal responsibility, revocation of basic constitutional principles, and entitlements. Rather than firing a direct broadside into the heavily burdened benefit ship that the Democrats proudly sailed into port, the Republicans came off as sheepishly saluting its captain, Obama. The Republicans were so afraid of being called racists that they never really seemed to aggressively pursue the race.

So, where does this leave us, other than under almost complete control of radical liberalism for a minimum of two years. Republicans must reconsider their position in that as they have become defined by conservative values, they are certainly obscured by not clinging to them, and obscurity will always yield defeat in American politics.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Someone listened to Rush today. The example of conservatism winning in liberal states speaks volumes though. Honestly I don't care about the source. The foundation of the argument is spot on.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    If you've got 10 minutes and a thesaurus, have at it. If not, I can sum it up quickly. The Republicans lost who they were. It's cost them the House, the Senate, and now, the Presidency.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Someone listened to Rush today. The example of conservatism winning in liberal states speaks volumes though. Honestly I don't care about the source. The foundation of the argument is spot on.
    Actually, I'm more of a Hannity listener, but there are times when Rush impresses me with his insights.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Where did Republicans go wrong? Roughly, when they started mixing church and state.

However, I understand you mean this particular election. So recently, after 8 years of Bush, and a liberal media that shamelessly worshiped the ground Obama walked on- I don't think the Republican candidate had a prayer, IMO.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Interesting.

The Republican Party is a much different beast then it once was, heck, even the Conservative movement has changed. I'm a Roosevelt Republican and a Buckley conservative, and had waited 8 years to vote for McCain, but people like me are no longer welcome in the GOP.

I believe in these words:

“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” William F Buckley

There is some serious soul searching to be done. Do "Republicans" have the moral courage to do so?

I voted no on Prop 8 by the way, and it barely passed. It will go down in history as the most money spent on what is supposed to be a "citizen initiated" proposition. Lot's of money came in from out of state. The "Yes" side resorted to playing on people's fears.

The "Republican" party used to be about small government, and staying out of people's personal lives.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Written two years ago, by Christopher Buckley

Let’s quit while we’re behind

By Christopher Buckley

“The trouble with our times,” Paul Valéry said, “is that the future is not what it used to be.”

This glum aperçu has been much with me as we move into the home stretch of the 2006 mid-term elections and shimmy into the starting gates of the 2008 presidential campaign. With heavy heart, as a once-proud—indeed, staunch— Republican, I here admit, behind enemy lines, to the guilty hope that my party loses; on both occasions.

I voted for George W. Bush in 2000. In 2004, I could not bring myself to pull the same lever again. Neither could I bring myself to vote for John Kerry, who, for all his strengths, credentials, and talent, seems very much less than the sum of his parts. So, I wrote in a vote for George Herbert Walker Bush, for whom I worked as a speechwriter from 1981 to ’83. I wish he’d won.

Bob Woodward asked Bush 43 if he had consulted his father before invading Iraq. The son replied that he had consulted “a higher father.” That frisson you feel going up your spine is the realization that he meant it. And apparently the higher father said, “Go for it!” There are those of us who wish he had consulted his terrestrial one; or, if he couldn’t get him on the line, Brent Scowcroft. Or Jim Baker. Or Henry Kissinger. Or, for that matter, anyone who has read a book about the British experience in Iraq. (18,000 dead.)

Anyone who has even a passing personal acquaintance of Bush 41 knows him to be, roughly speaking, the most decent, considerate, humble, and cautious man on the planet. Also, the most loving parent on earth. What a wrench it must be for him to pick up his paper every morning and read the now-daily debate about whether his son is officially the worst president in U.S. history. (That chuckling you hear is the ghost of James Buchanan.) To paraphrase another president, I feel 41’s pain. Does 43 feel 41’s? Does he, I wonder, feel ours?

There were some of us who scratched our heads in 2000 when we first heard the phrase “compassionate conservative.” It had a cobbled-together, tautological, dare I say, Rovian aroma to it. But OK, we thought, let’s give it a chance. It sounded more fun than Gore’s “Prosperity for America’s Families.” (Bo-ring.)

Six years later, the White House uses the phrase about as much as it does “Mission Accomplished.” Six years of record deficits and profligate expansion of entitlement programs. Incompetent expansion, at that: The actual cost of the President’s Medicare drug benefit turned out, within months of being enacted, to be roughly one-third more than the stated price. Weren’t Republicans supposed to be the ones who were good at accounting? All those years on Wall Street calculating CEO compensation....

Who knew, in 2000, that “compassionate conservatism” meant bigger government, unrestricted government spending, government intrusion in personal matters, government ineptitude, and cronyism in disaster relief? Who knew, in 2000, that the only bill the president would veto, six years later, would be one on funding stem-cell research?

A more accurate term for Mr. Bush’s political philosophy might be incontinent conservatism.

On Capitol Hill, a Republican Senate and House are now distinguished by—or perhaps even synonymous with—earmarks, the K Street Project, Randy Cunningham (bandit, 12 o’clock high!), Sen. Ted Stevens’s $250-million Bridge to Nowhere, Jack Abramoff (Who? Never heard of him), and a Senate Majority Leader who declared, after conducting his own medical evaluation via videotape, that he knew every bit as much about the medical condition of Terri Schiavo as her own doctors and husband. Who knew that conservatism means barging into someone’s hospital room like Dr. Frankenstein with defibrillator paddles? In what chapter of Hayek’s The Road to Serfdom or Russell Kirk’s The Conservative Mind is that principle enunciated?

The Republican Party I grew up into—Dwight D. Eisenhower, William F. Buckley Jr., Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon (sigh), Ronald Reagan—stood for certain things. It did not always live up to its ideals. Au contraire, as we Republicans said in the pre-Dominique de Villepin era—often, it fell flat on its face. A self-proclaimed “conservative,” Nixon kept the Great Society entitlement beast fat and happy and brought in wage and price controls. Reagan funked Social Security reform in 1983 and raised (lesser) taxes three times. He vowed to balance the budget, and drove the deficit to historic highs by failing to rein in government spending. Someone called it “Voodoo economics.” You could Google it.

There were foreign misadventures, terrible ones: Vietnam (the ’69-’75 chapters), Beirut, Iran-Contra, the Saddam Hussein tilt. But there were compensating triumphs: Eisenhower’s refusal to bail out France in Indochina in 1954, Nixon’s China opening, the Cold War victory.

Despite the failures, one had the sense that the party at least knew in its heart of hearts that these were failures, either of principle or execution. Today one has no sense, aside from a slight lowering of the swagger-mometer, that the president or the Republican Congress is in the least bit chastened by their debacles.

George Tenet’s WMD “slam-dunk,” Vice President Cheney’s “we will be greeted as liberators,” Don Rumsfeld’s avidity to promulgate a minimalist military doctrine, together with the tidy theories of a group who call themselves “neo-conservative” (not one of whom, to my knowledge, has ever worn a military uniform), have thus far: de-stabilized the Middle East; alienated the world community from the United States; empowered North Korea, Iran, and Syria; unleashed sectarian carnage in Iraq among tribes who have been cutting each others’ throats for over a thousand years; cost the lives of 2,600 Americans, and the limbs, eyes, organs, spinal cords of another 15,000—with no end in sight. But not to worry: Democracy is on the march in the Middle East. Just ask Hamas. And the neocons—bright people, all—are now clamoring, “On to Tehran!”

What have they done to my party? Where does one go to get it back?
    One place comes to mind: the back benches. It’s time for a time-out. Time to hand over this sorry enchilada to Hillary and Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden and Charlie Rangel and Harry Reid, who has the gift of being able to induce sleep in 30 seconds. Or, with any luck, to Mark Warner or, what the heck, Al Gore. I’m not much into polar bears, but this heat wave has me thinking the man might be on to something.

My fellow Republicans, it is time, as Madison said in Federalist 76, to “Hand over the tiller of governance, that others may fuck things up for a change.”

(Or was it Federalist 78?)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Written two years ago, by Christopher Buckley

Let’s quit while we’re behind.. et al
    ... and we can all thank Mr. Buckley for his opinion and invite him to join the Green party's vast array of shining personalities. Drivol like this, which denegrates the party, abandons our own, reeks of unfettered negativity, and lashes out simply for the sake of grandstanding serves but one benefit, as a perfect example of why Barack Obama is preparing for his inauguration.

I wonder if he wrote the speech beginning with, "Read my lips..."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    In addition to the above, I think sadly that we Republicans have to realize that to win the Presidency, we have to add a bit of flash to our substance. Reagan of course understood that. That's just the kind of America we've become.
    Arm the sheep!

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    ... and we can all thank Mr. Buckley for his opinion and invite him to join the Green party's vast array of shining personalities. Drivol like this, which denegrates the party, abandons our own, reeks of unfettered negativity, and lashes out simply for the sake of grandstanding serves but one benefit, as a perfect example of why Barack Obama is preparing for his inauguration.

I wonder if he wrote the speech beginning with, "Read my lips..."
    You never watched Firing Line with William Buckley, did you? I suppose you are too young to understand the vital role his Dad played in keeping things real. He never hesitated holding his own party's feet to the fire. His son, the former speech writer for George Bush Sr continued in the tradition.

Both Mr's Buckley's put their nation first.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Did you just say CB is too young?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I remember William F. Buckley, Jr. well, actually. Buckley would often state that he was as much liberatarian as Conservative (with a capital "C").

Christopher Buckley's stances are more in line with his father's latter-year views than with his glory days. There are things that I both agree with, and disagree with from both Buckley's referenced here. I do disagree with both Buckley's effectually joining opinions with the leftists against G.W. Bush's decisions regarding the war in Iraq, and I'll re-state again, that their anti-war blather (perhaps even unwittingly) helped propel the left to assume control of this country, by helping to fracture the Republicans and by bolstering and lending credibility to the left.

William F. Buckley Jr. has damaged conservativsm before with grandstanding, as evidenced by his run for Mayor of New York in 1965, where his very liberal republican opponent (who he entered the race in order to defeat), was actually elected by Buckley's unwittingly splitting of the vote of the more conservative Democratic candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Did you just say CB is too young?
    Why, yes... yes she did.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We need an emoticon for BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I agree with countybear, and with Mr. Hannity - it appears we listened to the same program yesterday.

The actual quote by the way, was from Ronald Reagan - and he said it best.

If you can't find it within you to believe in the principles of your party, then go your own way.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Let's face it McCain couldn't even get a crowd until he pulled in Palin. If she comes back she'll be wiser and well knowledged. Also keep your eye on the La Governor, they're the future.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    Let's face it McCain couldn't even get a crowd until he pulled in Palin. If she comes back she'll be wiser and well knowledged. Also keep your eye on the La Governor, they're the future.
    I'd say that Bobby Jindal would be an amazing choice for a run in 2012, but shhh... if the leftists heard too much about that, they'd surely begin to make his life hell, or perhaps even set him up some way to be discredited.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Palin Jindal?

Interesting thought....
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Some hostility amongst the McCain/Palin bunch. I don't think we'll see that ticket again...lol.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If the Republican ever put up another McCain I will not support him. This moderate crap has to end.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Some hostility amongst the McCain/Palin bunch. I don't think we'll see that ticket again...lol.
    Information from the media is to be trusted now?

I think they'll try to discredit her long before 2012.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Information from the media is to be trusted now?

I think they'll try to discredit her long before 2012.
    The information came from a reliable news source, Carl Cameron of Fox News. He stated he was told by McCain staff. The stuff he said was believable. In the end, I think Palin was probably a bad choice for several reasons. Though I think McCain could have picked Jesus as his V.P. and still lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information