Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mike Dimone is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Fat Slob teacher almost makes student cry for Obama

Site below...

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=215103&comments=1#comments

If anyone can post the video please do so..

This woman is typical of most public school teachers in NYC....

DISGUSTING.....

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Here you go Mike Dimone. All you have to do is copy the youtube link at the side after it is watched and then click the insert link button at the top middle of this page and then a window will pop up for you to paste the link in there and Shazam! The video is now on your post.

YouTube - Ashville N.C. School teacher browbeats student over being a McCain supporter

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I hope the end result of this is FIRED!!!!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    what a fucking bitch.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Video clip says this was in Asheville NC. Is there a difference between there and NYC? I am a left west coaster and have never been to either place, just curious.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Article linked in the Breitbart comments. I'm sharing it primarily to clarify which school district this woman works for should you choose to pass along a comment. She tried to defend herself in the article and just dug deeper.

I don't like what she was doing here, I don't like some of the garbage Mondale support I was fed in the name of "civics" when I was a kid and I'm creeped out by a self proclaimed conservative talk radio host who has taught her adopted child to say "Obama no likey" as if the kid was a pet parrot. Indoctrinating kids makes me angry, I'll just leave it at that for now.

Even if she was completely unbiased asking kids this age who they support is at best useless. It's completely backward to ask for an end result before teaching the process!

Verified LEO
    Thanks for the help on the post.....
    I will try and contact this woman for a taped interview and play it on Sat show.....
    Call in and be heard......

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Child abuse, Plain and simple. Typical shitty public education. Even the almighty Obama knows that, why do you think his kids go to private school.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    In all probability she will be named teacher of the year and be featured on The View and Opra. As for her being fired, FORGEDABAOUIT ( or whatever).

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Picking on that girl for supporting McCain was out of line, and bringing up a sensitive personal issue like her father serving in Iraq and using it as an argument against her was atrocious. It was especially bad because the teacher had started out saying it was OK if they supported McCain and encouraging them to speak up, in essence setting a trap for the kids who stated that opinion.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Imagine if you will the outrage that would be taking place in the national media if the teacher had been a McCain supporter and caused a black child to cry because she was tricked into revealing she liked Obama. What if the teacher would have told the kid Obama has no experience as a leader, is going to make sure your Dad doesn't have a job because he's going to cut the military down to the Cub Scouts , has associated with people who hate the United States of America in his personal life and is married to a woman that is embarassed to be an American. She would be fired and lucky if she was stll alive at the end of the month. Shameful , unproffessional conduct that will be overlooked and unreported by the mainstream media.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    I hope this POS was fired and never allowed to teach or influence young minds again!

Here is another article that describes the video in detail:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200881106074

November 6, 2008

Former Asheville teacher accused of ‘belittling’ student who supported McCain

Jon Ostendorff

A former city schools teacher filmed in a Swedish documentary talking about politics in the classroom is drawing fire from bloggers for “belittling” a student who supported Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Diantha Harris of Fayetteville teaches fifth grade in Cumberland County.
    She left Asheville in 2004. Bloggers on Thursday had identified her as an Asheville teacher and said she “willingly browbeat and belittle a student in class for her choice of a presidential candidate,” according to Tundra Tabloids, a blog about Islamic extremism.
    Harris, in an interview today with the Asheville Citizen-Times, said that’s not true.
    A crew from Sweden’s public broadcasting company SVT visited her classroom in May for the documentary “From Bill to Barack.”
    The film aired Monday on Finland’s Swedish language Channel Five.
    The part with Harris made its way on to YouTube and quickly became fodder for bloggers on Thursday.
    Harris is seen asking her class whom they support in the presidential race.
    A student says, "Obama."
    Harris encourages her class to speak up.
    “And if you are pulling for John McCain, that’s fine, say him as well,” she says.
    Another student says Obama and then one girl says John McCain.
    “Oh lord, John McCain,” Harris says in the film. “Oh Jesus.”
    She then asks the student why she is pulling for John McCain.
    The student says it’s because her parents are voting for him.
    She asks one student why he is supporting Obama. He says he wants a black president.
    Another student tells Harris she is supporting Obama because he’ll make good changes to the country.
    “Now can you tell me just a little bit more, like what type of changes?,” she asks the student.
    The student says “like not having a fight between Iraq and having soldiers killed.”
    Harris nods her head in approval. “So in other words Barack is going to end that war in Iraq,” she says.
    She then asks the class what they know about the war. She asks the girl who said she was supporting McCain to speak up because her father was in the military. The student remains quiet.
    “It’s a senseless war,” Harris says in the film. “And by the way, Kathy, the person you are picking for president said that our troops will stay in Iraq for another hundred years if they need to.”
    The student doesn’t respond.
    “So that means your daddy is going to be in the military for another hundred years,” she tells the child.
    Harris on Thursday said she wasn’t advocating for one candidate over the other and that the footage of her lesson is heavily edited.
    She said the film’s producers asked her to talk about politics that day and that she not only discussed the presidential race but all the races in North Carolina.
    She said her comments of “Oh lord” and “Oh Jesus” were her way of engaging her students to spur discussion. She said the camera does not show her sticking her tongue out and throwing up her hands when one student said he supports Obama.
    “I wasn’t necessarily pulling for one person or the other,” she said in a telephone interview from her home in Fayetteville. “If I was pulling for just one person then I would have never said the other person’s name.”
    She said her comment to the child whose father was in the military was not meant to change the child’s mind about supporting McCain.
    At the end of the segment, Harris can be seen in her home wearing a Barack Obama button. She was also filmed at a May “informance” at the school, which is a cross between a performance and an information presentation, wearing an Obama button while talking to kids about voting.
    “Now I can support whomever I want to support, as long as I don't browbeat another person for the candidate that they supported,” she said in the film. “Like I have some students that support John McCain, and when they told me that, I said ‘that's good' and I just moved on.”
    Harris was a subject in the film because President George H.W. Bush visited her home in 1992 after an invitation from her then-husband, Roy Harris, who was serving on the Asheville city school board.
    She had not seen the documentary or the blogs until she was contacted by the Citizen-Times on Thursday.

Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/v/kDEAYgm0Dv8&hl=en&fs=1

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Video clip says this was in Asheville NC. Is there a difference between there and NYC? I am a left west coaster and have never been to either place, just curious.
    In NY the teachers don't talk with that accent! As liberal as NYC teachers can be, I am not sure they would be able to get away with teaching antics like this, at least not in a well diversified classroom, where they would be ratted out in a heart beat and parents would come flying to the school to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dimone View Post
    Thanks for the help on the post.....
    I will try and contact this woman for a taped interview and play it on Sat show.....
    Call in and be heard......
    She would be too scared to call.

Verified LEO
    Got a phone interview and will play it on Sat..... You wont believe what goes on down there...

Verified LEO
    10 mins till show

Verified LEO

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    She's not a teacher now. Her candidate won, so she doesn't need a job now.

Christ on a cracker I wish I was in that class room when she said that. I would have had that whole class voting 3rd party in 20 minutes.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Boom Boom sure was fired up this morning!

Couple followups - Superintendent William C. Harrison responds to the video. He hit the bullet points *I feel like you feel *We respect our students and their parents *There will be an investigation *This is an internal staffing issue. *now go away and forget about this, pretty please

YouTube - Superintendent Responds to Video

More interesting is this article where the girl in the video and her parents give their reactions.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2008811080340

ASHEVILLE – The Cumberland County school system is investigating the actions of a former Asheville teacher criticized for “belittling” a student who voiced support for presidential candidate John McCain.

But the parents of that student, and the student herself, said Friday that teacher Diantha Harris did nothing wrong.

“She is usually messing around,” said Cathy Thompson, who was in Harris' fifth-grade class in May when a Swedish film crew visited for a documentary on American politics. “When she said that, I knew she was messing around.”

What Harris said sparked the ire of conservative bloggers this week after a clip of her from the film “From Bill to Barack” made its way to YouTube. The film aired Monday on Finland's Swedish language Channel 5.

“Oh Lord, John McCain,” she says in the film when one child voices support for the Republican nominee. “Oh Jesus.”

After a discussion with one student supporting Barack Obama because of his plan to end the war in Iraq, Harris turns to Cathy Thompson and asks her to speak up about her choice because her father is in the military

Cathy is shown biting her lip and looking upset. She remained silent.

“It's a senseless war,” Harris says in the film. “And by the way, Cathy, the person you are picking for president said that our troops will stay in Iraq for another 100 years if they need to.”

Thompson still didn't respond.

“So that means your daddy is going to be in the military for another hundred years,” she tells the child.

Cumberland County Schools Superintendent William Harrison called the statements inappropriate.

“I was shocked when I saw the clip of an interaction between a Cumberland County Schools teacher and her students as posted on YouTube,” Harrison said in a statement.

Harrison said he has started an investigation and would “take appropriate action.”

The superintendent made his own statement on YouTube about the matter.

“Most disconcerting was the military slant that made its way into this discussion,” he said. “We are a military community, serving over 15,000 military students and their families. We value the sacrifices, not only of the military parents but also those of their families.”

Cumberland County is home to Fort Bragg and the 82nd Airborne.

Cathy Thompson said Friday she wasn't upset at the time. Her parents, Angela Moore and Army Staff Sgt. Robert Thompson, also said they weren't mad at the teacher.

Moore said her daughter never mentioned feeling as if she was being picked on.

“Mrs. Harris is always active with the children like that,” Moore said. “I have sat in her class when my Cathy was a student, and she was very active with the children. She tries to get them involved with everything.”

Robert Thompson said when he first watched the clip Friday, he understood why some would see it as Harris trying to change his daughter's mind.

But after hearing Harris' side and talking with his daughter, he now thinks Harris is “getting a rough deal.”

The video provided fodder for bloggers this week who took aim at Harris.

The Tundra Tabloids, a blog about Islamic extremism, said she “willingly browbeat and belittled a student in class for her choice of a presidential candidate.”

Some bloggers on Thursday wrongly identified Harris as an Asheville teacher. She did teach at Jones Elementary before leaving Asheville in 2004 for Fayetteville.

Harris ended up in the film because it focused on people who had ties to the 1992 presidential election. Then-President Bush had visited her home in Asheville that year.

The story on Friday even made it on The Drudge Report, a conservative news aggregation Web site famous for breaking the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky scandal.

The Thompson family, along with other parents who visited Harris at her home in Fayetteville, said they don't want Harris punished.

“There should be no repercussions at all,” Thompson said. “There was no harm done to anybody.”

Others came to the teacher's defense on Friday, including the producer of the film.

Filmmaker Folke Ryden said during a telephone interview from his home in Sweden that Harris was “exaggerating” with her comments to students that day to get them interested in a discussion about the presidential race. He had asked her to talk about politics in the classroom for his film.

He said the comment about the child's father staying in the military for 100 years was a joke.

“And I think her students know that as well,” he said. “But if you want to, of course, you can interpret the situation in a way that is not favorable for her, for the teacher, and I think that is what you are seeing.”

Ryden said he hopes to release his film in English on Monday.

Harris on Friday said she regrets making the comment about her student's father. She said she was not intending to advocate for one candidate over another.

“I called the parents, and I apologized,” she said. “And apologized to Cathy. If I could take anything back from that video, it would be that statement. I should not have said that.”

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    YouTube - OBAMA ANTHEM

Ok,everyone. Fall in line!!!
    No more dissention. Selfishness is not a virtue.
    Resistance is futile!!!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is extremely disgusting. Not that she made the comment but that she will get away with it with little or no punishment. It enrages me further that the child will probably remain in that class. Her image of Harris is now one of intimidation and Harris' position of authority in the classroom will not be challenged by 5th graders. My only hope is that her parents files a law suit against not just the school system but the teacher herself.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information