Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Not for Liberals

This guy is a NUT, but he has a point.

Feds called in to review landowner's sign

By KEITH KINNAIRD
    News editor

VAY The U.S. Secret Service is being asked to review a sign a Bonner County landowner put up which suggests a "free public hanging" of President-elect Barack Obama and several other political figures.
    The handmade cardboard sign also features a noose fashioned from a length of nylon rope.
    "That's a political statement. They can call it whatever they want, a threat or whatever," said Ken Germana, who installed the sign on his property off Golden Gate Road in southwestern Bonner County.
    Obama's name is the most prominent on the sign, although it also bears the names of former Democrat presidential nominee John Kerry, current U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and civil rights activist and former presidential candidate Al Sharpton.
    Sheriff Elaine Savage said she is referring the matter to the Secret
    Service, which is tasked with protecting the lives of presidents, presidential contenders and those who are in a presidential line of succession.
    "I'm sure they will be looking into it," Savage said on Wednesday.
    The Secret Service agent in Spokane, Wash., who was asked to review the situation was not immediately available for comment on Wednesday.
    The Bonner County Human Rights Task Force said it is outraged by the display.
    "Everyone has the right of free speech, unless it advocates the killing or hurting of someone or incites violence, which violates the doctrine of human rights," Christine Holbert, president of the task force, said in a statement.
    Holbert called the sign "hateful" and said its content is not protected under the First Amendment.
    "I would not want to be in this man's shoes when the Secret Service interviews him," she added.
    Germana said he poses absolutely no threat to Obama, but admits he would not lose any sleep if harm did come the president-elect's way. He said he made the sign to protest hypocrisy in two high-profile incidents involving effigies of Republican vice president nominee Sarah Palin and Obama.
    The Palin effigy was erected in Los Angeles and the Obama effigy was put up at the University of Kentucky campus in Lexington. Both incidents made headlines in the run-up to the general election, but Germana maintains they were treated differently by authorities and the press.
    In Germana's view, nothing was done to the creators of the Palin effigy, while those who were involved with the Obama effigy were arrested.
    "If other people can make political statements, so can I. Just because I don't live in California doesn't mean I don't have my rights, too," he said.
    Germana calls any insinuation that there is a racial tone to his sign malarkey, emphasizing that its message is clearly equal opportunity.
    "If these Katzenjammer cops want to pursue it, God bless 'em. But I've got my rights just like everybody else does," he said.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't think this is the type of activity that should be taking place in a civilized society.

However if it's good enough for the Palin effigy folks it's good enough for this guy.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I honestly dont know what I feel about this sort of thing. I think that it is inappropriate and 'wrong' of course, but I'm not so sure I support the idea of arresting these folks either.
    Arm the sheep!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    The Bonner County Human Rights Task Force said it is outraged by the display.
    "Everyone has the right of free speech, unless it advocates the killing or hurting of someone or incites violence, which violates the doctrine of human rights," Christine Holbert, president of the task force, said in a statement.
    Holbert called the sign "hateful" and said its content is not protected under the First Amendment.
    "I would not want to be in this man's shoes when the Secret Service interviews him," she added.
    Where was the Bonner County Human Rights Task Force(you have to be kidding me, a task force....really) during the protests against our current president or as it has already been mentioned Republican VP nominee? You wouldn't want to be in the man's shoes during an interview? We don't even harm terrorists to interview them. It is the Secret Service. Now if it was the IRS I would worry for him. Do I agree with this type of childish display? NO. Just seems like it started making the news now that the shoe is on the other foot. Has this guy been called a racist YET?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    While I tend to agree that there is a double standard in dealing with "hate" speech and actions, the University of Kentucky incident is more than just an effigy. The braniacs in Lexington burglarized a fraternity house, and stole the materials to make the effigy, and the ladder they used to hang it on campus. Most of the charges against the kids were in relation to the theft and burglary.

The Palin effigy was hung on private property by the owners.

Am I saying that the kids in KY would have been treated the same as the people in Cali if the kids had not committed other crimes? Absolutely not. My OPINION is that the "target" of the effigy in KY made ALL of the difference in the court of public opinion, and if the effigy at UK had been Palin the story wouldn't have made the news.

I'd say LEOs be hearing about, and dealing with, many more of these types of incidents in the near future.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    My stance is this. Both effigies were wrong, point blank. Though in looking at each incident, the Obama effigy is just a step more for one simple concept. There is no history of white conservative females being hung in this country while there is a history of black people being hung. That's the one difference. But again, both effigies were deserving of outrage.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    These are the down sides of the civil liberties we are given in this country. The ability to voice HATE to the public without sanction. Sad, but true. Frustrating, but protected.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The effigy creators on both sides are stupid, but they aren't criminal.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    My stance is this. Both effigies were wrong, point blank. Though in looking at each incident, the Obama effigy is just a step more for one simple concept. There is no history of white conservative females being hung in this country while there is a history of black people being hung. That's the one difference. But again, both effigies were deserving of outrage.

Actually, there is history of white conservative females being hung in this country. Have you forgotten the Salem withch trials? I do agree, however, that they weren't nearly as many as blacks.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Actually, there is history of white conservative females being hung in this country. Have you forgotten the Salem withch trials? I do agree, however, that they weren't nearly as many as blacks.
    Well and those women were burned, not hung. The reason an effigy can strike more deeply is because of the direct symbolism of the gesture, not simply on the death aspect. So if an effigy was of someone being burned, then I guess white women should be more offended than black people would be by that kind of effigy.

But regardless of the level of offensiveness or how deeply the symbolism strikes, it's like maclean said, that it's (on both sides) "stupid, but they aren't criminal." Deputysykes' last two sentences are right on the money as well.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Were they really conservative? I thought accused witches tended to be progressive!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well and those women were burned, not hung.
    Burned, hung, drowned - a lot of different ways.

A very interesting time to read about, but I don't think they were considered conservative.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Actually, there is history of white conservative females being hung in this country. Have you forgotten the Salem witch trials? I do agree, however, that they weren't nearly as many as blacks.
    Well and those women were burned, not hung. The reason an effigy can strike more deeply is because of the direct symbolism of the gesture, not simply on the death aspect. So if an effigy was of someone being burned, then I guess white women should be more offended than black people would be by that kind of effigy.
    I beg to differ, I have ancestry that was persecuted in the Salem Witch Trials. But anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings before local magistrates followed by county court trials to prosecute people accused of witchcraft in Essex, Suffolk, and Middlesex Counties of colonial Massachusetts, between February 1692 and May 1693. Over 150 people were arrested and imprisoned, with even more accused who were not formally pursued by the authorities. The two courts convicted twenty-nine people of the capital felony of witchcraft. Nineteen of the accused, fourteen women and five men, were hanged. One man (Giles Cory) who refused to enter a plea was crushed to death under heavy stones in an attempt to force him to do so. At least five more of the accused died in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Burned, hung, drowned - a lot of different ways.

A very interesting time to read about, but I don't think they were considered conservative.
    I honestly believe that they were persecuted because they were church going women, different and kept to themselves instead of getting involved with town affairs.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Nineteen of the accused, fourteen women and five men, were hanged.
    I stand corrected. I never knew that any were hung. But perhaps that is part of the issue, if its not as well known that hanging was one of the means of death there.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information