Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

US Attorney nomination Eric Holden

Private practice

Since 2001, Holder has worked as an attorney at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C.,[7] representing clients such as Merck and the National Football League.[19]
    In 2004, Holder helped negotiate an agreement with the Justice Department for Chiquita Brands International in a case that involved Chiquita's payment of "protection money" to the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, a group on the U.S. government's list of terrorist organizations.[20][21] In the agreement, Chiquita's officials pleaded guilty and paid a fine of $25 million.[21] Holder represents Chiquita in the civil action that grew out of this criminal case.[21]
    While D.C. v. Heller was being heard by the Supreme Court in 2008, Holder joined the Reno-led amicus brief, which urged the Supreme Court to uphold Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and said the Department of Justice from Franklin Roosevelt through Bill Clinton had always believed that the Second Amendment does not protect the rights of individuals to own guns for personal use.[22] Holder said that overturning the 1976 law "opens the door to more people having more access to guns and putting guns on the streets."[23]
    In April 2004 Holder was invited to CNN as a legal analyst. He voiced his opposition to the Bush Administration's implementation of the USA PATRIOT Act, saying it is "bad ultimately for law enforcement and will cost us the support of the American people."[24] In a speech to the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy in June 2008 he critisized the US torture policy and the NSA warrantless surveillance program, calling the Bush administration's "disrespect for the rule of law [...] not only wrong, it is destructive in our struggle against terrorism."[25]

This is a Wikipedia listing for Mr Holden. I saw where he has had some positive influence in his previous positions but his private views listed here would have me a little on the defensive side. Comments?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    CHANGE = Clintons Have A New Grip on Everything

He's a Clintonista, and famous for his anti-gun views.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Take the time to read all of this, it will enlighten you more than you know...

Calling Guantanamo Bay an "international embarrassment," Eric H. Holder, Jr., one of the two remaining appointees on Barack Obama's vice presidential search team, said the next president must close the detention facility and transfer prisoners to military prisons.

In a speech given Friday evening to the American Constitution Society convention in Washington, D.C., Holder charged, "For the last 6 years the position of leader of the Free World has been largely vacant."

Obama's VP search adviser, Eric H. Holder, Jr.

In his half-hour address culminating in a standing ovation from the 350 attendees in the audience, Holder made no reference to the scandals which have forced Washington insider Jim Johnson to resign from Obama' vice presidential search committee or to the controversial role he played as deputy attorney general, pushing the Marc Rich pardon in the closing days of the Clinton administration.

Instead, in his Friday evening speech at the ACS convention, Holder devoted his entire time to criticizing the Bush administration on the conduct of the war on terror, strongly suggesting that a President Obama would pursue a rights-oriented approach to dealing with suspected terrorists and captured enemy combatants.
    - WorldNet Daily

On January 20, 2001, hours before leaving office, President Bill Clinton granted (Marc) Rich a presidential pardon. Since Rich's former wife and mother of his three children, socialite Denise Rich, had made large donations to the Democratic Party and the Clinton Library during Clinton's time in office, Clinton's critics alleged that Rich's pardon had been bought. Rich had also made substantial donations to Israeli charitable foundations. Clinton explained his decision by noting that similar situations were settled in civil, not criminal court, and cited clemency pleas from Israeli government officials, including Prime Minister Ehud Barak. Federal Prosecutor Mary Jo White was appointed to investigate. She stepped down before the investigation was finished and was replaced by James Comey. Though Comey was critical of Clinton's pardons, he could not find any grounds on which to indict him.
    - Wikipedia

Eric Holder wishes he had focused for three minutes when he heard the name Marc Rich connected with the word pardon. He might have understood that the Justice Department needed to take a stand. He might have discussed it with his staff and opposed clemency for the fugitive businessman. He might have left office with his reputation intact. Weeks later, the pardon of Rich by then-President Clinton became the subject of two congressional inquiries, a federal criminal investigation and too many front-page headlines to count. Holder now finds himself marooned in the maelstrom, under attack for giving advice he (says that he) never fully considered. When Holder reached home after a bruising Senate Judiciary Committee appearance in February, he said he wanted to "crawl into bed and pull the covers up over my head."

"I'm done. Public life's over for me," Holder said. "I had a moment in time. That moment has passed."
    - caribvoice.com

... To make matters worse, Holder had asked Quinn (Marc Rich's lawyer) for his help in becoming attorney general in the event then-Vice President Al Gore won the 2000 election.

Rich did not even qualify for a pardon under Justice Department guidelines, which say no pardons can be requested until five years after completion of a sentence in a criminal case. Prosecutors on the Rich case testified that no one consulted with them before a recommendation went to the president on the Rich pardon.

Rich has been based in Switzerland since 1983, just before he was indicted in the United States, accused of tax evasion on more than $100 million in income, fraud and participating in illegal oil deals with Iran. (It was actually Iraq, see: Oil for Food Scandal, Rich garnered about $4 million, in a scandal which was also linked with a Russian UN diplomat and a now-convicted al Qaeda operative).

Members of Congress pointed out that Rich's ex-wife, Denise, visited the White House more than a dozen times during Clinton's presidency and contributed an estimated $450,000 to the president's library foundation, $1.1 million to the Democratic Party and at least $109,000 to Hillary Rodham Clinton's bid for the Senate.
    - The Seattle Times

Interesting to note: Marc Rich was a fugitive of the U.S. at the time that he was pardoned, living in Switzerland to avoid prosecution.

FALN Terrorist Pardons by the Clinton Administration, Holder's Testimony:

Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee released a report from Atty. Gen. Janet Reno, titled, "The five-year interagency counterterrorism and technology crime plan," in which she said that "the impending release from prison of members" of Puerto Rican terrorist groups, including the FALN, would " increase the present threat" of terrorism.

In a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing Oct. 20, Deputy Atty. Gen. Eric Holder denied that this statement referred to the same FALN terrorists whom President Clinton pardoned. The next day, he made the same denial to reporters. The Justice Department, however, has not been able to identify any other group of Puerto Rican terrorists who are about to be released.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R.-Ala: "Hasn't Reno herself concluded in her report that releasing the terrorists would increase the likelihood of violence?"

Holder: "Well, I think given the terms under which these folks were released, which is where they had to indicate that they renounced violence, makes the report language that you cited, it seems to me, a little inapplicable....We should not read the attorney general's statement in the five-year plan as indicating that the release of these prisoners, given the conditions upon which they were released, that that statement refers to those people, given those conditions."

Sen. Arlen Specter, R.-Pa.: "... You have this issue of Puerto Rico still before the public ...and you have an ongoing threat by this terrorist group and you have specific members being commuted, and that has to have an impact on the threat from that group. What's wrong with that reasoning, Mr. Holder?"

Holder: "I do not think that the language, impending release from prison of members of these groups jailed for prior violence, quite frankly, refers to the people who we are talking about here today, that given the way in which they were released. Now, this is a document that has a date of September 1999 on it. I don't know exactly when that language was prepared and I don't know exactly..."
    - WorldNet Daily

On August 11, 1999, Bill Clinton commuted the sentences of sixteen members of FALN that set off bombs several times in New York City and Chicago, convicted for conspiracies to commit robbery, bomb-making, and sedition, as well as for firearms and explosives violations.[11] ... Clinton offered clemency, on condition that the prisoners renounce violence, at the appeal of 10 Nobel Peace Prize laureates, President Jimmy Carter, the Cardinal of New York, and the Archbishop of Puerto Rico. The commutation was opposed by U.S. Attorney's Office, the FBI, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons and criticised by many including former victims of FALN terrorist activities, the Fraternal Order of Police,[13] and members of Congress. Hillary Clinton in her campaign for Senator also criticised the commutation, although she had earlier been supportive.[5][14]
    - Wikipedia

Did someone promise 'change?' Looks like old-school corruption to me...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Change my buttocks. We're going to to have the Clinton Administration without Clinton.Obama will probably bring Monica Lewinsky back as a White House intern.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I find it fascinating that Holder, not Reno, was called up to testify in congressional committee hearings on these matters. Each of them smacks of Holder being the true "go-to" guy for Clinton, not Reno. Given Reno was under heavy fire with a number of scandals, especially towards the end of the Clinton era, it ventures an assumption that Holder was instrumental in advising Clinton on legal matters much moreso than Reno.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Is anyone actually suprised? All this "hope" and "change" is just a load of bullshit. I'm glad I could see through it
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Change my buttocks. We're going to to have the Clinton Administration without Clinton.Obama will probably bring Monica Lewinsky back as a White House intern.

Not sure if it's going to be without Clinton(s) either....

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Not sure if it's going to be without Clinton(s) either....
    Good point.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Holder was also involved in the lovely DOJ involvements in local LE agencies.

He's a corrupt Clinton hack, in my opinion. He is no friend of local LE and definitely a hard left gun banner.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Holder was also involved in the lovely DOJ involvements in local LE agencies.

He's a corrupt Clinton hack, in my opinion. He is no friend of local LE and definitely a hard left gun banner.
    Again, no big suprise. The only change will be to revert us to the clinton days and then worsen it. I dunno if this is the popular thing to say on an LE board...but if they ban guns I am not going to give mine over. Period. And if I was an LEO, I'd resign, but I'm not going to seek that job unless the laws here are changed, cause I will not take a job that requires me to enforce laws that I feel are constitutionally wrong.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    You are not alone in that thought 213th.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Whatever it is, Holder will make it "legal". Review your oath of office. Anyone think it might "CHANGE"?

Interestiing link about sworn duty and loyalty that seems more relevant as January approaches. Seems to apply in the "D" Party and has for many years, putting party and persona before the Nation. Herd mentality now rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_oath

Nah, ...it'll never happen here............that was 1934.......

Link below is excellent, from a USAF Lt.Col.

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...02/keskel.html

Review of old Soviet film where oath of allegience is shifted to a person i.e. Stalin.

http://web.uct.ac.za/conferences/fil...s/nlaurent.rtf
    Last edited by sgtbear111; 11-22-08 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information