Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile

Question Lateral transfers

Seeing as law doesnt have to undergo full training as a result of already having 9 weeks in an alternative college I am curious how this works.

If for example myself, Einstein or Long wanted to join NYPD or another US force would we have to apply and train in the exact same way as all other recruits or would our training/experience allow an alternative? I know the Australian forces were in Ireland and England + other EU states recruiting and its a refresher course not a full training course the guys undergo when they go over.

Of course I am skipping citizenship and other requirments for the purpose of this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    You guys would have to start from scratch... Citizenship varies from department to department. In my department, you just need a valid "green card" to work. You will be expected to apply for citizenship. I supervised an officer who formerly worked for the London Metro Police. I had to file a memo to personnel every year updating them on his status along with documentation till he obtained citizenship. We have several officers from Canada going through the citizenship process now. The diversity these people bring to the department is an asset.

Once you get your police officer certification here in the US, It's much easier to lateral. It varies by state but in California, many departments will accept out of state laterals. You have to meet the states minimum training hours & pass a written test. You will also have to attend some department specific training. Again, this all varies state-to-state, department-to-department.

In my experience, the officers from other countries that joined my department were welcomed openly and thrived within the organization.

My department welcomes laterals but we background them very carefully & thoroughly to make sure we are not getting someone else’s problem as this has been known to happen. It's not uncommon for a department to give a good reference to an officer who in reality is a moron, just to get rid of them...
    Last edited by StanSwitek; 03-12-06 at 10:37 AM.

AngryBassets is offline Sgt. Phatas
    Over here, laterals from other states have to get X amount of hours of academy training to get PTC (police training comission) certified.

I'd safely say that you'd be doing the whole 22 week thing, at least here in NJ.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    --George Orwell
    NOTE: NJ Supreme Court no longer allows effective policing in the "Garden State". The above statement may not apply.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    North Carolina only recognizes a few other states as having a comparable LEO training standard. I could clearly see someone from another country having to start from scrach here, regardless of what state. What with constitutional law, various state laws, and city/county ordinances specific to social norms and mores. Although British and Irish standards of policing are quite similar to those of the United States, many countries have an entirely different philosophy. Someone from a country where things like constitutional or civil rights are non existent could be a major liability to a law enforcement agency.

FishTail Guest
    I find it quite odd that whilst the American Bar Association recognises my English law degree and exempts me from the academic part of becoming an attorney, I'd have to learn US law to be a US cop...kinda makes me wonder what sort of attorney I'd make...

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    I find it quite odd that whilst the American Bar Association recognises my English law degree and exempts me from the academic part of becoming an attorney, I'd have to learn US law to be a US cop...kinda makes me wonder what sort of attorney I'd make...
    A bottom of the barrel public defender?

J/K

FishTail Guest
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh....

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, here you wouldn't have to wear a wig and robes...
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    On or off duty?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    It speaks of how much more complicated policing is vs being a lawyer. You would still have to pass an exam to practice law in California.

FishTail Guest
    Oh, granted, the bar exam. But I wouldn't have to get a law degree in the US.

Yeah, most of the lawyers I know actually know jack shit about the day to day laws we use.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    First y'all will have to learn how to drive on the right side of the road.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    What Long does in the privacy of his own bedroom is his business
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Thread Information