Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Narrowly averted tragedy.

Okay, I'm freaking out a bit.

As some of you know, I bought a house recently. One of the first things I did was put up a smoke/carbon monoxide detector near the furnace room.

I've been on the road for over a week, and my sister, who rents a room, and my pup occupy the house when I'm gone.

She came home the other night and was watching tv/sleeping on the couch as usual after work.

She gets woken up by the detector blaring the alarm and shouting 'carbon monoxide, carbon monoxide!' Now...when I put it up I thought it was a little campy that it did the voice thing, but figured what the hell.

Half awake, she checks for smoke and is about to shut the detector off when she realizes it is shouting 'carbon monoxide!'

She gets out of the house with my puppy, and the FD arrives shortly. She gets taken to the hospital for blood tests, given oxygen, and is released later.

The bottom line is, that $20 or $30 detector saved her life...and took all of 5 minutes to put up. I'm so glad I wasn't lazy about putting it up.

Fire Dept. tested levels varying from 120 to 180, and said 'normal' levels on their equipment tested 0 to 4.

Had a furnace guy out to test things, and he said it is perfectly solid. Had gas company out and they didn't detect anything wrong. Only other option is the hot water heater, and I'll have that checked shortly. I just hope I figure out why this happened...."it was a fluke" won't cut it and get me back in the house and feeling safe.

I can't even begin to comprehend how absolutely terrible things could have been...I'm so upset and speechless I didn't even want to post this thread...but I figured since daylight savings time just passed and some of you probably didn't change batteries/test your detectors, it could be a good reminder.

Now I have to...I dunno...not think about things for a bit.

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Glad your sister and pup are safe! And thanks so much for the reminder--I had been meaning to replace the battery on my carbon monoxide detector for awhile, and I'm going to do it right now thanks to your post!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Best news I've heard all day , Ender !!!!
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I hope you find out where the carbon monoxide is coming from and I'm glad that your sister and doggie are safe! I never really considered buying one of those, but perhaps I had better rethink that...
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    I hope you find out where the carbon monoxide is coming from and I'm glad that your sister and doggie are safe! I never really considered buying one of those, but perhaps I had better rethink that...
    When my parents went over there, the FD directly said to them and her that "that detector saved her life," and if it wasn't there and operational, "you would have walked in and found her dead."

I guess people can't call me paranoid from now on when they walk in and I have three in every room.

Funny...when I bought the house I walked in and my Mom had it laying on the counter. I had it mounted before I ever spent a night there. I'm sure I would have bought one asap since I don't mess around about stuff like this, but it still begs the thought, "what if..."

This is a serious case where under 10 minutes worth of work saved lives...unbelievable.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm very glad to hear this worked out. Lifesaver isn't just a candy, it's what YOU are.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    When my parents went over there, the FD directly said to them and her that "that detector saved her life," and if it wasn't there and operational, "you would have walked in and found her dead."

I guess people can't call me paranoid from now on when they walk in and I have three in every room.

Funny...when I bought the house I walked in and my Mom had it laying on the counter. I had it mounted before I ever spent a night there. I'm sure I would have bought one asap since I don't mess around about stuff like this, but it still begs the thought, "what if..."

This is a serious case where under 10 minutes worth of work saved lives...unbelievable.

It is unbelievable...I would say it's a blessing.
    Arm the sheep!

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I specifically got the alarm system with Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detectors. It's nice knowing that even if we can't wake up the FD will still be notified to respond.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Did she have a fire in the fireplace? A flue that isn't drawing properly can also be a source of CO poisoning.

Glad your sis and pup are okay.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I specifically got the alarm system with Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detectors. It's nice knowing that even if we can't wake up the FD will still be notified to respond.
    One catch with some of those...

If the power's out -- they don't work. Make sure that, no matter what, you have at least one detector on each floor that's battery powered.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Ender...glad to hear everyone involved is OK!! How scary. And yeah, the CO monitors are cheesy, but I'm ecstatic to hear that it worked!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Which reminds me, I bought a carbon monoxide tester like two years ago. It's still in the trunk of my car - I saw it the other day when I was getting something else outa there.

Glad everyone is OK Ender!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Thank goodness you had the detector! I hope you find the cause quickly, give you peace of mind that it will never happen again.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    So you really have something to give thanks for on Thanksgiving. Glad everything worked out.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    So you really have something to give thanks for on Thanksgiving. Glad everything worked out.
    I certainly do, and thanks
    --

Ender

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Wow! AWESOME story, especially at this time of the year with the holidays. I'm SO GLAD everything turned out well!!!!! That reminds me....I gotta plug mine back in when I light the furnace pilot light for the winter.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    It could have been much, much worse. This is a story from today

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...34/detail.html

ASPEN, Colo. -- A Denver family of four found dead at an Aspen home with high levels of carbon monoxide were meeting friends for the holiday weekend, the Pitkin County Sheriff's office said Saturday.

Authorities said two adults, a man and a woman, along with a boy and a girl were found dead inside. The victims have been identified as Parker Lofgren, 39, Caroline Lofgren, 42, and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8. The Lofgrens were visiting Aspen for the holiday weekend.

In a joint statement, the parents of Parker and Caroline Lofgren called the deaths "tragic."
    Caroline Lofgren was involved with several charity boards, including Girls Incorporated of Metro Denver and the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. She also helped raise money for Historic Denver.

"Caroline was a wonderful mother…and her quick wit, strength of character and glowing personality endearing her to many friends," the statement said.

Parker Lofgren was a founding partner of the Denver-based St. Charles Capital, an investment bank.

"He was a true friend socially and philanthropically to Denver, and we will dearly miss his vibrant smile and personality," the statement said.

The couple’s daughter, Sophie, was described as a "exceptional young woman," and their son Owen was a "radiant young man."

Sheriff spokeswoman Marie Munday said other Denver friends meeting the family at the house a few miles east of Aspen found them Friday evening.

Family and friends discovered the bodies and called 911. When members of the Aspen Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the scene, they discovered carbon monoxide levels to be extremely high and unsafe.

A team of technicians determined the house's hot water and snow melting systems malfunctioned. This caused the extreme levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

The remains have been sent to Grand Junction for toxicology tests. Results could take up to two weeks.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Ender, I am so glad that everyone is alright and thank you for the reminder to change the batteries.

IMachU is offline First Class Private
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Ender, I am so glad that everyone is alright and thank you for the reminder to change the batteries.
    Changed the batteries last night, AND bought a plug-in detector due to this thread.

Thread Information