Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO

Angry I'm Pissed - Public Info on Police Checkpoints

So I'm in my car yesterday listening to the radio when a news ad comes on and states "Watch News blah blah blah at 5 and learn where all the police checkpoints will be in Delaware this upcoming holiday!"

This pisses me off and I'll tell you why.

I feel as though police checkpoint locations should not be public information nor advertised. This obviously gives drunk drivers an opportunity to avoid these locations and continue driving on while putting everyone else on the road in danger.

Not only do news stations broadcast where they are, but there is even a website that is devoted to letting everyone know, also. Furthermore, if you sign up for this website and provide them with your cell phone number they will text you with all the locations as they hear of them in your area! This is ridiculous. The website is http://nocheckpoints.com/ and is still growing, but seems to have a big following from my home state, as most of the "recent checkpoint locations" are out of DE. Not sure why this is, though. Maybe just because its such a small state.

I think police checkpoints are great. Not only do they get drunk drivers off the road, but they also help capture local fugitives, and other arrests are made such as drug offenses, underage consumption, etc.

I'm passionate about getting drunk drivers off the road and that is because I had a cousin killed by one. She was struck head on by a drunk driver who crossed the center line. Her, 3 friends in the car with her, and the pathetic excuse of a man drunk, all died. Only one person survived, another friend in the car with my cousin. Today he is doing well and I saw him at a checkpoint ceremony dedicated to my cousin and the other victims of that crash last year.

I'd like to get other opinions on this issue. What do you guys think about this? Do you think there's anything I can do to possibly reverse the standards of checkpoints today? Any way I could cut off the information given to news agencies and shut that website down?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for reading.

-Adam
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's standard practice for departments to release checkpoint information in press releases.

The drunks experiencing impaired abilities will still pull up, sit in line, and wait for you to smell their breath. Don't worry!
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Depts. should release that they will be having checkpoints, but not say where they will be other than a very general area. Make the public aware of it but keep them guessing as to where. That way you can actually have some deterrent factor. I know that some idiots will pull up to check points anyway, but it should be about maximizing effect.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I realize that even though the locations are announced that drunks still pull up and get caught. However, it's the ones who do avoid them and get away that I'm worried about. Had the checkpoint not been announced then maybe the drunk would have gotten caught. I just don't understand the reasoning behind giving the EXACT location of the checkpoint. That's like a SWAT team saying "We're going to raid 12 Long Street on November 26th at 10pm." Catch my drift?
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    I realize that even though the locations are announced that drunks still pull up and get caught. However, it's the ones who do avoid them and get away that I'm worried about. Had the checkpoint not been announced then maybe the drunk would have gotten caught. I just don't understand the reasoning behind giving the EXACT location of the checkpoint. That's like a SWAT team saying "We're going to raid 12 Long Street on November 26th at 10pm." Catch my drift?
    If they are smart enough, and not drunk enough, to avoid the checkpoint, they aren't going to sit in the traffic jam of a checkpoint either. I've never worked a checkpoint that didn't get a lot of drunks from it. We've also always had mobile units in the area to get the ones not going through the checkpoint.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Around here, they also add in a few "unannounced" checkpoints to keep people guessing. If you have lived here long enough, you pretty much know where the checkpoints are going to be. Like the others have said, tho, you still get plenty of business.

altonc27 is offline Rookie
    When I lived in CT the checkpoints were on three major roads that you basically couldnt avoid due to the many one way streets honestly I tried to avoid waiting in line by goin around. Then you have to look at the alternative drive 20 mins to avoid somethin when its a 5 min drive from where the check point is at. Many people think they are sober enough to pass lol but when you have to talk to three or four cops you still get caught.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    "The City Police have a 'compliance checkpoint' set up for later tonight somewhere in the City"

that's about our new releases
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Ahh, checkpoints are vigorously prohibited in our lovely state unless for some compelling interest like a natural disaster. Feds can and do what they want but no checkpoints here.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here in Colorado, when we operate a CP, we have to give people an out anyway. I.Em posting a sign before you actually see the CP in order to give people a way to turn off. Is it not like that elsewhere?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I guess our state law requires that the information be public, but there is never a shortage of customers.

Our law also allows officers to pull folks over for no seat belt (click-it-or-ticket) and using a cell phone while driving - so there are plenty of opportunities to arrest people.

This was interesting:

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...oint_laws.html
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Like morris said, it's illegal/ unconstitutional here.

After thinking about it, I don't have a problem with that either.

I can think of no good reason why someone should be able to be stopped "just because" when it doesn't fly for any other crime.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    It never ceases to amaze me how many get caught at the checkpoints, even though they've been so announced by the public. As PDawg said, we're required to publish that a checkpoint will be conducted, but not the location. You will never be able to prevent the general public taking advantage of modern technology and letting other potential violators know the exact location.

1042Adam, I feel your pain. I've always had strong disdain for drunk drivers - a disdain intensified when someone I loved more than I could say was killed by a drunk driver. The reality is that all we can do is our best in enforcement, as well as educating others and setting the example.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    They're illegal here too.

So Adam, at least you guys in DE can DO checkpoints.....quit yer belly achin'.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    If we were doing a checkpoint, I'd want to be the officer stationed just a couple blocks away from it. Then I could be the one that pulls over all the people that turn around because of the checkpoint. That's an easier way to catch drunks than the checkpoint itself.

Heck, for those in states where checkpoints are illegal, make it look like you are running one, with signs announcing it and all, then just pay attention to those who turn around to avoid the supposed checkpoint. As long as you aren't actually stopping people at your "checkpoint" you are good to go. I bet you'd get a lot of drunks with your fake checkpoint.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Heck, for those in states where checkpoints are illegal, make it look like you are running one, with signs announcing it and all, then just pay attention to those who turn around to avoid the supposed checkpoint. As long as you aren't actually stopping people at your "checkpoint" you are good to go. I bet you'd get a lot of drunks with your fake checkpoint.
    Uhh...yeah that wouldn't work. At all.

Stopping a car for avoiding a checkpoint/fake checkpoint you should have never set up in the first place?

"Fruits of the poisonous tree" comes to my mind.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    If we were doing a checkpoint, I'd want to be the officer stationed just a couple blocks away from it. Then I could be the one that pulls over all the people that turn around because of the checkpoint. That's an easier way to catch drunks than the checkpoint itself.

Ah, no.

The little issue of swearing to uphold the constitution of my State thing gets in the way.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Some cops told me that Plano put up one a few years on US 75, and they put up a large sign "CHECKPOINT AHEAD" right before an exit to a little county road.

Well, it was true, the checkpoint was ahead alright - but it was on the county road right around a blind curve, not on US 75 - Dopers and drunks would see the sign, peel off the exit, and then get caught in the real checkpoint. There was no escape because of bar ditches on both side of the road.

Supposedly they even stopped an 18-wheeler carrying dope. When the driver couldn't explain why he turned off the exit, they hooked him up for some little charge like driving a truck on a road off-limit to trucks, which then led to the requisite Inventory Search

I've never actually seen a checkpoint in twenty years, though.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Some cops told me that Plano put up one a few years on US 75, and they put up a large sign "CHECKPOINT AHEAD" right before an exit to a little county road.

Well, it was true, the checkpoint was ahead alright - but it was on the county road right around a blind curve, not on US 75 - Dopers and drunks would see the sign, peel off the exit, and then get caught in the real checkpoint. There was no escape because of bar ditches on both side of the road.

Actually couldn't one always say that there is a checkpoint ahead and be technically correct, as long as the sign doesn't specify just how far ahead--like if there is a checkpoint 500 miles ahead, wouldn't that count too?

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I dont know if they publish it here (I've never seen it or heard it but I rarely listen to the radio and I dont read the paper anymore and I dont have TV reception, ), but in my area there are license/registration checks always in the same spot, on the cut through I use to get to and from town/work. There have been 4 there in the last two years (I only remember the number because I'm armed now and I have to tell them). It bothers me to see the people start turning around to go another way....
    Arm the sheep!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information